[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal and dogs
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bengal and dogs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Post subject: Re: Bengal and dogs
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to our forum. I'm no cat behaviorist but I will offer some recommendations. Get your male doggie neutered! I'm not sure anything can help your older baby, as age can have a lot to do with the loss of controlling the bladder.

That being said, you are bringing a small kitten into the mix with some strange smells going on. I'm guessing your kitty will be terrified and completely stressed out. If your breeder has dogs, she may be used to them, but having a welcome of dogs barking at her can be traumatic. I'm really not sure this can be a good mix, at least not in the beginning.

The first thing you do is prepare a safe room for your kitty and keep the dogs OUT! Allow her to acclimate to a smaller area. Feed her, put in a litter box, play with her -- all in the confines of this smaller room. She will probably hear barking from the dogs and that won't help the situation. She may want to hide away, and let her. She is scared and lacks confidence. You will eventually have to allow her out and holding her so your doggies can sniff her is what needs to happen. NEVER let the dogs and your new baby be alone together until they are best friends -- and know that can take a very long time. Make sure you have a tall cat tree for her to escape from the doggies. Watch for any aggression between the kitty and the dogs and break up anything you feel is going too far.

You will need a lot of patience. Dealing with dogs who pee in the house, you already must have a lot. Your kitty is going to be smelling the urine -- not sure if this is something she will want to get into or not. I applaud you for wanting to get a bengal -- but they are not for the faint of heart. They require a lot of your time and are challenging animals. You are already there with your doggies. I hope you are up to the challenge that is ahead for you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:38 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think the main issue will be the little chihuahua if it barks at the bengal kitten because it's scared. I would introduce very slowly and set some ground rules for all the animals. Your kitten will also grow up to be much bigger than the chihuahua so you need to be the one tiring your kitten out and meeting the benga'ls hunting needs with da bird etc, so it does not think to start hunting the chihuahua :eek: Get lots of high perches so the bengal feels safe and also you need to make sure your chihuahua is safe too when the bengal is fully grown and wanting to PLAY!!!! You will seriously have your hands full! Think you may need to watch lots of Jackson Galaxy and Cesar Millan :lol:

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Another thing that came to my mind last night was the fact that your bengal may begin peeing outside the litter box simply because of the fact your dogs also do it. I am not sure how similar dog urine is to cat urine, but a cat's smell is 14 times stronger than ours -- so your kitty may end up going where your dogs have gone. Now your problem is three-fold.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When I got my kittens at 4 months old, my neighbor would bring her chihuahua over when she visited. My cats would stalk him like he was prey even though he was as big as they were. This went on for several months. Then I started noticing that all their cat beds had pee on them and I thought the cats were doing it. Come to find out, the male dog was doing it during his visits! I caught him peeing on a chair leg in their litter room. After I figured it out, that little dog was not allowed in my house again. There has never been an issue since.