[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - My new arrivals look really depressed...
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:01 pm 
Senior Bengal

Ok maybe I'm worrying too soon as they only arrived today but my bengals have not moved from their bed... Not to eat, not to poop.. They are just sleeping.. :-( is this normal? The breeder said to give it a week and I'm gonna do that but thought I would seek advice from people who have been there and done that with their new bengals.. How long did it take for them to settle in and cheer up etc

Thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Give them a chance! They've just been ripped away from their mum and siblings and everything they've ever known! My two arrived in the evening so it was straight to bed and then I managed to tempt them out of their bed for treats and food on the morning. But they didn't use their litter tray for about 24 hours and I think that's pretty normal. They also hid for a couple of days and then they decided my other half had a comfy lap.

Hopefully you have the same style of litter tray and litter as the breeder or they could get confused.

Don't worry, they'll soon have you wishing you had eyes in the back of your head :lol:

Just sit quietly near them and read to them or something so they know your voice and realise you are not a threat.

Good luck and enjoy the Bengal adventure!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'll never forget how frightened my four month old kittens were when they came to live with me. When their foster mom left they vanished and hid for two days! They arrived in the evening. I put out food, water and a big hooded litter box filled with pine pellets. That was the litter my last cat used. I was concerned the next morning when they hadn't eaten or used their litter box. I went to work and called the foster mom. She told me about the safe room idea and said they were used to a small litter tray with low sides and arm & Hammer clumping litter. So I ran out to Pet Smart and bought the litter they were used to. When I came home that night one was under the night stand and the othe was squished behind it with a look of terror on her face. I felt so bad! They had not used a litter box in over 24 hours so I quickly prepared their new litter tray and shut the door to their room making it their safe room. I brought food in and left them alone for a bit. They used the litter box several times and ate their food.

The next day they seemed a little better but still very frightened. Their basic needs were being met and they would peek at me when I came into the room. The following evenining I came home from work and opened their door after they had dinner. They slowly bounced into the living room and played with some toys I got for them. Soon after they were bouncing up and down on me and sleeping by my head on the bed. It took about three days for them to settle in and gain confidence. My house is quiet and they had each other for comfort.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is really common - I don't know how many times in the last couple of years I've typed out a big response to new owners explaining that the day they come to you is the worst day of their lives as everyone and everything that they have know is taken away and they end up somewhere that doesn't smell right with strange noises and unknown people.

People have great expectations - that a kitten will bounce out of its carrier and want to gambol round the house, but they need time and a bit of patience in those first days.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:42 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

One point I forgot to raise earlier...

You have taken the kittens for their health check, haven't you ?

Kittens should be taken to the vet for a health check as soon as possible and at least in the first couple of days after getting them home to ensure that they are in good health and that their vaccinations are up to date.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Lily & Noha - Oct 7th 2015

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You are going to be a truly worrying mommy! This is really normal, although every kitten reacts differently. The move to a new home and owner can be traumatizing. Give them time. Don't rush them. Within a couple of days, they will be exploring everything and you'll wish you had the energy to keep up with them. However ... if this behavior continues on for several days, get them to the vet to be checked out. They will usually want to eat within 24 hours, using the litter box will follow -- but it is really common for many to hide and be super quiet. They are not depressed -- they are scared and stressed out. It will pass as they get accustomed to their new surroundings and you.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:59 pm 
Senior Bengal

I keep trying to post reply but it refreshes and i lose it grrrr lol

Thanks for all your replies! It's really appreciated. Nala has started playing a but but Kira is still very shy and hiding.. Although I can see progress with both already. One of them took a crap on the sofa last night and I've moved their litter trays closer but no poop or pee today even though they've clearly eaten. I've got vet appointment next week as vet said they are clearly stressed so should wait to settle in. They won't let me touchr them so I've left them alone and they hiss if you get too near although that is getting slightly better too :-) looking forward to seeing them change over next few weeks and becoming more comfortable.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hang in there. Things will get better. I don't know how well your breeder socialized the kittens. Many integrate them in with their family and pets and they hold them regularly. Others have cages they keep the mommy and babies in! It's always important to find out how the breeder handles this. The best thing to do is to sit in the middle of the room and let the kittens come to you and then you can pet them. These poor things are just stressed out. You will be amazed at the improvement in just a couple of weeks. Be patient!!! Get out the wand toys and engage them in play.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

TTL - 2 kittens together that know each other is a different matter - they have the familiarity of each other. It is like the difference between walking through the bad part of town on your own at night and walking there at night with a friend.

Ellie - it sounds like you are moving in the right direction. As Sherry says - for a nervous cat, giving them a proper ignoring is a good plan. Sit somewhere so you are much closer to their level, ignore them and idly play with a wand toy - no kitten will be able to resist that. Once you have them playing you become the best thing since sliced bread and you build up a bond with each of them.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:47 pm 
Senior Bengal

I'm so happy. They seem to have blossomed overnight. Before they were both on the ground, hidden away in the little cubby hole of the horizontal scratcher.. Now they are laying on the top of the cat tree, stretched out with bellies exposed, not a care in the world. They are both coming out to play with the string on a stick and are not letting me touch them but have gotten much closer to me.. Nala even dashed through my legs as I was sitting on the floor. Kira is certainly more reserved and is a little overpowered by her energetic sister so my boyfriend is gonna buy more string toys so we can both play at the same time.. All in all its really looking up..
:-)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Things can change in a blink of an eye! Congratulations. Just time and patience is all that is needed. The babies will continue to come out of their shells.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You know they are settled in when you come home and they are waiting by the door for you. Soon they will be climbing all over you.