[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Tthey are finally here!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Tthey are finally here!
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 1:19 pm 
Bengal Cat

You can't see me right now but if you could you would see the biggest smile across my face. My 2 beautiful girls are finally here and they didn't need to do very much to win me over. I do have as always a few questions for you though. My two girls were from the same breeder and both have the same father but are from different litters they were born on the same day. They have not really spent anytime together as the mum's and their litters are in different rooms. The question is should they be together in the safe room because they hiss and growl at each other every time they cross paths. They have only been here for 24 hours so I realise that this is very early days but I wasn't sure if I should separate them or not. Weirdly Talulah the larger cat who is more dominant is much more shy around us whereas Little Blue is forever coming up for cuddles and she cries when we leave the room.

Both kittens are feeding well and drinking although Talulah will only eat dry whereas Little Blue eats both dry and wet. I hope to start them off on a raw diet as I have read a lot of good things about that so after they have settled in I will gradually make the transition to raw food only. I am worried about Little Blue because every time she goes for a wee she meows really loudly. Talulah doesn't do this and Blue doesn't cry when she poops, could this be causing her some pain?

The kittens are already exploring outside of the room and they have both taken an interest in our lovely dog Freddie through the bars of the stair gate. they could if they choose go through the gate slats but the dog can't get to them, It seems to be a really good way to slowly introduce them to each other.

I will try and put some pictures on here but I don't know how to do that, computers are not my strong point! I would be grateful for any advice especially about the wee and crying in case she has a problem. Thanks again and I am glad that I can finally start to be a part of this lovely group. x

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:35 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

YAY! Happy they are finally with you! I thought the breeder was going to put them together. If they have been separated, there are smells from other cats that they can detect! It's perfectly natural that they will hiss. As long as they do not fight, things are okay. As for the crying when Talulah pees, it could be some type of urinary tract infection that is causing some pain when she goes. Know that you should have them both seen by a vet within 72 hours -- just to make sure all is well with them and to start a medical history chart on them both. They can check to see if there is a UTI present.

EVERYTHING is new to these babies right now, so patience is the key. Supervise them as much as possible. Once the smells wear off and they have their smells around you and your home, they should settle in just fine.

Transitioning them to the same food may take time. Your two have such different personalities, even coming from the same father. Moms socialize their cats differently, even though the breeder may care for them the same. Just like children will have different tastes in food, it is the same with cats. You will have to find something that they enjoy eating -- hopefully, they will eventually go for the raw diet you have planned.

Pictures are fairly easy to add. Right below your posting screen, it says "upload attachment" in the green bar. Click "choose file" and find the picture you want to use. Then it should say "upload" and it will be added to your post. File size is limited to 256k and it will tell you if the photo is too large. If you are taking pictures with your phone, you may be able to adjust the picture size in the settings for the camera. We would love to see these two. You've waited so long for them.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The meowing when she pees is not that uncommon. None of mine do it, but I've heard others here who's bengals do. Bengals are loud, talkative cats in general, and some just "monologue" a lot, and let you know that they are having a pee or poo or whatever :lol: Definitely mention it to the vet though next time you go there (like Sherry said).

It's your call whether to keep them together or separate them. If they were adults, I'd definitely keep them apart, especially if they are hissing. But kittens? I dunno. Is either showing any signs of being fearful of the other? Kittens like to go through all the things that cats do (halloween cat arching of back, hissing, growling, puffing up fur and tail etc) and many times they are just "practicing to become cats", not even meaning any of it in the slightest... just goofing off. But if there is actual fear involved, then you might separate them, just for a short time. If you do separate them though, I'd give them frequently re-introduction opportunities, and "cheat" by giving them treats when you bring them back together (to build up positive associations). I'd be really surprised if they don't take to each other very quickly.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 6:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Delighted that you finally have them, your anticipation on here has kept me intrigued! I dont really have anything to add that the other posters haven't already said, but I would just reinforce getting them to the vet. A UTI is usually not a big problem if it is treated promptly, but left to its own devices it could be. Best just to get it checked out.

Congratulations......and good luck! Bengals can be easily as 'naughty' as they are cute! They will keep you on your toes! Fun times ahead....... :biggrin: :biggrin:

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:48 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks again for your replies it is just wonderful to have this kind of help from such experienced people. One is larger than the other and she appears to be the more dominant of the two. She spends a lot of the time growling whilst she is exploring around the room and if either of them get too close to one another then they both hiss. There is no fighting at all and they tend to go off in a different direction, they are both very playful and have become so much more confident as the day has gone on. Someone has been with them for most of the day and they are already beginning to come up to be petted and they have both sat on laps and fallen asleep. I am enjoying just being in the room with them and watching them interact with their surroundings and the various toys and the tree. They weren't at all bothered by the dog which is good as their breeder had two dogs at home. I liked the breeder very much her name is Julie Goldhill and the name of their company is Goldhills pride, she was so helpful and very knowledgeable and she is willing to help me in the future if I decide to start breeding them. I am sitting in the room with them both and now my house feels right again the equilibrium has been restored. The vets will be having a visit from them both tomorrow just to check them over properly but they look in fabulous condition. Thansk again everyone :biggrin:

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:36 am 
Bengal Kitten

Well, where are the pictures?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:51 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ya ya....Pictures please....
So glad they arrived safely and appear to be getting on with their adjustments so well. They will no doubt bond and then decide the dog is a wonderful playzone, and you will have worried for nothing..LOL xx

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I hope you will read up on breeding bengals. Most breeders will not allow an owner to breed without having breeding rights and paying a good chunk of money. Many do not want the competition. Breeding also takes up an enormous amount of time in posting pictures, answering questions, taking deposits, signing contracts, vet visits, weekly weigh-ins and monitoring food intake once they are weaned. Be sure and ask your breeder a TON of questions. Naturally, you would not breed a female until she is about a year old -- and then you need to go looking for studs that can actually impregnate the female! I know of some issues where the queen was extremely stressed out being with the stud and nothing took!

In the mean time, ENJOY your babies!!!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:01 pm 
Bengal Cat

Thanks as always Sherry for the tips. I am considering calling the breeder and asking her if I can pay the money that they would have been if they were queens and then maybe I could breed the girls next year. I will not be doing anything until I feel that I am completely clued up on the breed and everything that comes with breeding the cats. I am lucky because the breeder is very helpful and open and so knowledgeable and she has been breeding Bengals for over 10 years. I would not want to do this as a money making exercise I really would love to have a hobby that I can really enjoy. These girls are fascinating I haven't had time to even turn on the computer as I am enjoying just sitting and watching them interacting. The good news is that after 3 days of growling and hissing at each other they have now begun to play together and the growling and hissing has pretty much stopped. if one of them is exploring then other is never far behind. I can see the bond growing between them and it is heartwarming to watch. I have started to introduce them to some raw food and the one who is already eating wet has eaten it whilst is is mixed in with her regular food, I am just trying to temp the other little girl. Right let let me see if I can work out how to do these pictures. (don't hold your breath).

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:05 pm 
Bengal Cat

Here is Talulah (if the upload works)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:08 pm 
Bengal Cat

I will attempt to take some more pictures of Little Blue when I can persuade her to sit still long enough!!!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:15 pm 
Bengal Cat

Talulah has the most beautiful eyes especially the pattern around the iris.I am very lucky that my husband's hobby is photography so I should have some fantastic photos to enjoy. Talulah is quite a bit bigger than Little Blue although they have the same dads and were born on the same day. Talulah will only eat dry food at the moment but I hope to persuade her otherwise with some tasty treats of dehydrated chicken breast. I am trying Natures Choice to just start them off and then I will begin to make my own, I don't know if this is a complete food or if I need to add Taurine or bone. My 8 year old cock- a- poo Freddie looks as if he has died and gone to heaven, he has only ever eaten dry food and he grazes all day almost begrudgingly, I have tried so many dry foods and he has never really enjoyed any of them. He has spent the last week polishing off the raw food and looks delighted when I put down his bowl in front of him, I wish I had heard about the raw diet sooner but at least he can enjoy it from now on.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Very sweet looking kittens. They look like they have eye liner on :razz:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Beautiful photos - and your little girls are adorable! They look like little angels - but the devil side will soon show its face :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:47 pm 
Bengal Cat

This is Little Blue she is a Blue marbled Bengal girl. She was the first Blue marbled girl that the breeder had ever had in 10 years.