[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Im going to loose her!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Call around to vets and ask if they have a groomer experienced with Soft Paws. Application is not for the novice. They should provide the nail caps because they come in various sizes depending on your cat's nail size. They will have a supply in various sizes so the fit is correct. Most say they don't have experience with them if they do not. I had one vet office say they could figure it out if I supplied the nail caps…I decided that was not a good place to bring them. The vet we wound up with had all the supplies and were very confident as they put them on cats regularly. You just need to find the right office. They clip the nails first and apply the cap with glue so it stays put for 4-6 weeks. I only did the front paws and they trimmed the back claws. A proper nail trim is usually done in the back by groomers and they smooth the edges so the actual nail is not sharp.

It never phased Grace who is the bigger of the two with the gray paws. In fact it was while she had soft paws on that she scaled the coral rock fire place in my living room! Blondie is much smaller and had thinner nails and she didn't really like having the Soft Paws on, but she was unable to remove them so she eventually ignored them. I think I paid $20 per paw. So it was $80 for the two cats (front paws only).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you tried taking her out for walks on a harness, I used to do this with my previous bengal, we would go for long walks then he would be tired and sleep for hours.

I have heard of these soft paws in other countries but I've not heard of them being used in the UK, I trim both my cats nails every couple of weeks, have done this since they were babies ( well Pearl still is she only 8 months old) they both tolerate it.

I definitely think you need a large cat tree, mine is 7 foot tall, they both love it and a 4 foot giant scratch post.

I think your girlfriend definitely needs to interact with her much more, maybe playing games like throwing things for her to chase and bring back, Pearl will do this for hours, her favourite is some cat springs I bought or some screwed up silver foil.

I don't believe in shutting cats in time out rooms, I don't think they understand and it seems to wind them up more, I have never banned a cat from any room and they are free to wander the house at night or sleep with us.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 10:57 am 
Senior Bengal

They do have them in the UK, but it's mostly buy your own and put them on yourself as well. Considering it takes 2 nurses to clip her nails, I don't want to do it myself.
I've left a message at the vets to see if they know/recommend anyone, just waiting to hear back now.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just know that trimming the nails or put on soft paws is not going to solve the scratching issue! Katniss is still going to scratch! The cat mess will still be around. Dan needs an attitude adjustment to the kitty. Plain and simple. Katniss is behaving like a bengal. I hope you can get the situation straightened out because it's stressing you and Katniss out. Yes, one should be able to walk around their home in bare legs and feet and not expect to get attacked by a cat. But, you have a kitten! Adopting an older bengal would probably not have caused this issue. Katniss will grow into an adult -- things will get better over time.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you thought about adopting a second cat? They will most likely act out their play aggression on each other rather than on you humans.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:42 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I found after getting Pearl Magic totally changed, they spend most of their time playing and chasing each other, I don't have to do much in the way of play unless I choose to.

They constantly entertain each other, if one is doing something then the other will go and find out what.

I bought extra long pheasant feathers to entertain them, they absolutely love them, they are around 12 inches long and only cost around £3 for 20 on eBay, Pearl goes crazy for them.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:11 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi, well her surgery doesn't do soft paws, but I've had a call back from the one near me that does and they said they do have vets and nurses with soft paw experience that will be able to put them on her. I'm taking her down next Monday and try that. If it doesn't work, then at least I've tried.

Sherry, I'm not expecting her to stop scratching, but at least with soft paws they won't hurt as much, which means less anger all around. I just hope it won't be too upsetting for Katniss, last time when she had her nails clipped and she was yowling my heart broke for her.

I will keep pushing the "she is still a kitten" button she and will grow out of it. I've been doing it all along and sound like a broken record, but I'll keep doing it for as long as I have to. Let's hope she is a bit calmer when she grows up, otherwise I'll be dealing with "I told you so's".

I've mentioned a second cat, but unless we move to a bigger house it's not going to happen. I do agree. Katniss has got space to run around, but the flat is too small for 2. We do plan to move though (in a couple of years) and I'll bring it up then, I would love to have 2, but not right now.

Clare, I did not manage to talk to her alone about it yesterday. She went swimming and after that we had visitors and I didn't to start discussing it close to midnight. Dan was actually OK with her last night, I even saw her stroke her. Katniss did have a go at grabbing her leg and Dan said no CALMLY (no shouting, though part of me thinks she only said it calmly because we had friends over) and Katniss left her alone and played with our friends. She gets so spoiled when people are around and loves it.

I'll ask about the jealousy thing tonight, maybe she does feel that way ...

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think it is worth a try. I was very happy with the Soft Paws. I only did it that one time and after about 5 weeks just went with professional nail trims after that. Grace barely even noticed they were on. Blondie fussed with them for a few days, but after that neither cat seemed to notice they were on. They still stretched using scratching posts and ran around as usual. My vet suggested declawing them but there is no way I would go for that. I am not able to trim either cat's nails. Not even one. Blondie lets out an OWEE! before the clipper makes contact. Grace will not let me near her with clippers, and she is too strong for me to hold in place. I am sure the groomer has a good method to trim nails. Possibly using a couple of people or putting them in a cloth wrap that holds them still. All I know is they take them in the back and minutes later they reappear and seem perfectly happy with trimmed nails, no drama.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just read this thread and it occurred to me that your partner may actually be a little afraid of Katniss, and is being shouty to try and stop attacks before they happen. I know it's just play aggression from Katniss but it does hurt when they latch on to your leg! Yes soft paws sound like a good idea to help but I really think your partner may have totally lost her confidence around Katniss. When I got my rescue boy and he showed dominance issues, I lost my confidence totally. I can remember thinking oh my god I am actually afraid of this cat! I think you need to sit down and have a frank talk about Katniss and how her behaviour is totally natural for a kitten learning to play and hunt toys. It's not personal, she is just being a cat. Talk through calmly about how your partner's body language and general stress is transmitting to Katniss and most likely making her behaviour worse and possibly triggering play attacks. Calm is the word, unless playing of course! Try and get a routine going with feeding a playing by your partner. You need to involve her and make her give Katniss food, treats, play etc. They need to learn to be friends again. The kitten stage won't last forever and it will get better but I think the most important thing to do is to start building positive association between them both. Good luck

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Melissa could be spot on there! In which case there is a 'My cat from hell' episode with this situation. It is an early one, google it, it will be in YouTube and may well help!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Maybe you could ask the vet to give Katniss a light sedation for the procedure, but from experience bengals seem to be very dramatic having anything done, Magic is a right moaner when I cut his nails, Pearl is ok.

He moans like mad when I clean his teeth as well.

I'm glad to say that declawing is illegal here in the UK, it's barbaric.

I think Dan and Katniss may get on better if she does only positive things with her, if she does go to scratch or bite distract her away immediately with a toy then a treat.

She will get better as she grows up Magic did, he doesn't do it at all now.

Cats that are bored often are disruptive and scratch and bite for attention, bengals need a huge amount of play time.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:22 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi, I don't want to be happy too soon, but I asked Dan about jealousy and about confidence (I think that really hit the spot, thanks Melissa!). She didn't particularly want to talk about it just yet, but I think it gave her lots to think about. Last night passed completely shout and anger free and Katniss cuddled up to her for ages and Katniss's behavior was generally better, like she was more relaxed. Dan picked up a laser and played with her too.

I will get her to talk when she is feeling ready, she is feeling emotional over the whole situation. We will see how tonight, tomorrow and the weekend goes, before I say anything else, as I don't want to jinx anything.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know when I am called out about a particular behavior, I may not like it but it gives me reason to think about it and get it in check. I guess making me realize others are aware and I am not getting away with anything. It sounds like you are making progress and Katniss is feeling more comfortable.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Let's hope you have a breakthrough at last.

Good luck.

Bristol, UK