[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Im going to loose her!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sounds like progress! Especially as Katniss's behaviour was so much better when the tension was removed from the mix.

Wishing you luck - keep us informed.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 1:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Communication is really the key and I think also making sure Katniss is a part of you AND Dan -- you're sharing Katniss. The fact that Katniss snuggled up to Dan is huge progress and the playing time. Get Dan involved in Katniss' daily activities and you may find things go much better. I think it's a little crazy for someone to be jealous over a pet! But I guess it can happen. I truly hope things continue to improve for you, Dan and Katniss. We want you to be one big happy family. The soft paws should help a little, but they will wear off as Katniss sharpens her claws. Hang in there ---

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:19 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hey, so I feel it's time to have a quick update.. Katniss's soft paw experience didn't go as planned... On Monday it was literally a nightmare. She managed to escape her carrier (to be fair she needs a new one as the one she has got is not exactly Bengal proof) in the car and she was climbing and meowing on the passenger seat and then when we got to the vets she refused to come out and refused to let the vet touch her. By refuse I mean she was hissing and growling and the vet saw no other option then either make an appointment at day time so they can sedate her or put a muzzle on her and I didn't want to traumatise her so we decided to leave it, so no soft paws as of yet. On our way home it started raining and thundering really heavenly (as it does in England) and poor baby got completely freaked out. She tried to escape her carrier again and I had to keep it shut with my hand to prevent it. When we got home, she wasn't mad at me at all though and came and sleep on my lap straight away. Such a cutie pie! I wouldn't say her scratching is much better, but rather than scratching all the time she gets her mad hour and that's it.

Regarding Katniss's and Dans relationship, we got into a massive argument on Tuesday and I kind of snapped and told her to do what she wants, if she wants to rehome her, go for it, but I'm not getting involved and I'm not helping her to find a new home for her, as I simply can't bare it! Gallons of tears later and ever since then, they've been getting along much better.. Katniss keeps cuddling up to her, Dan is not angry and plays with her. She has even said that she does love her, she just thinks we are being unfair keeping her indoors and that she is alone for most of the day. I do understand that and maybe she is right, but the thing is she is not going to be bothered to find a new home for her, not without my help. It almost seems like that ever since I gave her permission, everything is OK. We will see how long this lasts, but I'm hoping that she completely buries the thought eventually and I'll distract her even if she actually does start looking. Meanwhile I'm working hard on training Katniss not to bite and scratch and I honestly don't think she is going anywhere.

I'm not sure if I'm being mean letting Dan believe I'm fine with it (even though I do agree about the out doors and being on her own bit a lot), but it seems to be working and I am doing whatever it takes to make her WANT to keep her! I'll update again soon!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 5:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think Katniss needs an outdoor enclosure of some type. Perhaps if she had room to run around a bit, she would not be as feisty. I'm surprised you agreed to rehome Katniss. We take our babies in and make them members of our family. Everyone gets along or else!!! And I'd put my foot down! My bengal is not the easiest cat to get along with -- and hubby and I have both thought about rehoming him, but know that nobody would put up with his antics the way we do -- not that we enjoy them -- we just tolerate and deal with them. I am sorry the visit for the soft paws did not go very well and I would not pursue this further! No need to put a cat to sleep and muzzle them to do a procedure that will only last a few weeks and then need to be done again. A stressed out cat is not a good cat.

I hope things continue to get better between Dan and Katniss.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 8:52 pm 
Senior Bengal

I didn't actually agree to it, I'm only letting her believe I do as it seems if I say yes Dan is having second thoughts.. Suppose it's kind of like revere psychology of some sort.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's focused her mind I think and made her consider the reality of losing her. When I was struggling with my two as kittens and I wasn't sure I could cope, I briefly thought about rehoming. But like Sherry said, I didn't think anyone else would put up with them and I don't quit easily if I've committed to something. Plus they have such loving personalities even when being little devils - there was no malicious intent from either, they were just very excitable which seemed to equal claws out and sunk into my arms or legs! They do calm down, there is light at the end of the tunnel!

Re the keeping her indoors and leaving her on her own all day. This hasn't changed from when you decided to get her, I assume, so why is that so terrible now? As long as you have interactive toys, a cat tree and give her lots of play time and love when you are home, she should be ok. She probably sleeps when you are out anyway. I believe you said you would be moving in the future so there might be the opportunity for outside time then or a buddy for her.

The key is to make sure she doesn't get bored. Bored Bengal = destructive behaviour. They are challenging - have you thought about teaching her tricks or clicker training her to keep her busy? I have no idea how to do either but people on here have had a lot of success with this.

Keeping everything crossed for all of you.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi,

I've always found that vets cut claws too short and they tend to be in a rush, have you thought of picking up some bunny clippers she would be happier if you do it and just taking the ends off once a week and rewarding her straight after? The other solution is use a nail file or a Dremel but it's all about getting her used to having her paws touched a lot. The other solution is maybe she isn't using her scratching post enough, spray it with catnip and you'll find that she uses it a lot more. Don't give up on her my little girl used to divebomb my partners head when she was a kitten and as she grew up she turned into a cat that never took her claws out.

Also have you thought about maybe harness training her and taking her out for walks? It could be a bonding experience for the three of you, plus your partner did want her to go outside more.

Fingers crossed for you and don't give up on the little girl, she's just a toddler every toddler is naughty to some extent and cats can read vibes if people don't like them.

- Sarah
Arya 24/04/16 - Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Griffith 16/04/16 - Silver Seal Lynx Point Rosetted Bengal
Mina (in my avatar)- 1999-2016 - Seal Mink Spotted Bengal (Snow) - run free at rainbow bridge

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 3:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The only problem with allowing a bengal outdoors even with a harness and leash is that they LOVE it and want to be out there constantly!I The scratching may stop, but the howling will start. take mine for two walks daily as he was a free roaming cat for the first 6 years of his life before I ever got him. He was not going to become an indoor cat easily. We also built a large outdoor enclosure on our deck that he can access 24/7. Reverse psychology is great -- as long as it works!!! My husband tries it on me and I don't bite! LOL I really hope things improve between Katniss and Dan.