It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Outdoors cat enclosures
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm thinking of building an outdoor enclosure for my cats this summer, and I was wondering if anyone has tips or tricks in terms of materials and mistakes to avoid etc.

There are a number of enclosure kits being sold by a variety of companies and plenty of ideas online for building one from scratch. I would need something simple that's easy to build without renting a whole truck full of tools or hiring a contractor and that can be taken down just as easily if needed. I recently came across this idea for building a cat run on the internet. Basically, they are using wire shelving and cable ties. I've calculated the price for the shelves and compared against enclosure kits being sold commercially and it always comes out at half price or less. It might not look as "professional" as some of the cat runs being sold but it sounds quick and easy enough to put up and take down for the average cat owner without professional building skills and tools, and actually looks safer to me than anything built with chicken wire or similar material. Has anyone tried this before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We made one from chicken wire and timber, with a felt roofing, like a shed. It attaches to the back wall of our house, with the furries main access being on to the worktop and through the kitchen window. :D Which can be a pain in itself.. :lol:

The downside of chicken wire is the staples have a tendency to go rusty after a while. But ours was built cheaply so that it could be ripped down when we move in the next couple of years.

I like the idea of the one you showed above, however, i would be concerned it would be too obvious in our garden...chicken wire, you don't lose too much of your view. But i like what you've done - very creative. :wink: And safe, by the looks of things!

Next time round, i'm tempted by the purrfect fencing which goes round the perimeter of the garden. :wink:

Last edited by spotsnstripes on Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I just had to try the wire shelving idea. It sounded too easy to be true, but it really is. I had a few 2-ft long pieces already in a closet that I wasn't using, so I just bought a couple more to construct a sort of "window box" from my guest room going out on my deck and resting on a bench underneath the window. It's neither very big nor very pretty (it does look a bit cage-like), just testing the idea, but the cats love it already (except for Binky, the old coward - I guess he spent too much time in a cage at the vets lately to be comfortable with venturing out there yet). They all participated eagerly in the construction, which took about two hours this morning. Mikesch and Mister Sue helped "cut" the cable ties with their teeth and Katie was test-sitting every finished section to check for fit and comfort. I locked them out of the room for opening the window and fitting the box through it - or so I thought. Before I was done, Mikesch had opened the door and was already out there inspecting it while I was still adjusting the last ties. :lol: Pictures will follow once I get my film developed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Finally got my film developed, so here are the promised pictures of my handiwork. As I said, not very pretty, but the cats like it anyway. Input: About $50 of materials (shelves, cable ties etc.) and 2 hours of work. Output: Three cats happily soaking up the sun or rain, depending on weather. Only thing they are unhappy with is when I close the window. :wink: Oh, and now that they've tasted fresh air, they want more and are quite disappointed that they can't get out of any of the other windows.

"I'm not quite sure what this is about..."
..."but I'll test-sit it anyways."
"Hey guys, check it out!"
"We can get out now!"
"Way cool!"
New favorite places...
But one cat is missing... Where's Binky?
"I think I'll stay right here hidden under the desk until that window is closed again, ok?"

:roll: Well, he finally checked it out and likes it, too. I think. Anyway, the other three love it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:05 am 
Bengal Kitten

Looks good. I like the thought of them being able to sit out in the sun on those little seats! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

brilliant tameeria! you clever-clogs! :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:21 am 
Senior Bengal

If you got the room , then i would make a big run so they can play outside as much as they like :D .
Just over a day to make this one and it dose not cost a lot , wood from wicks and 16g 1in by 1in wire.
With the wire it is always better paint it black , then you can not see it so easy.
It is on the back of our home with a cat flap , so the cats can come and go as they like.

Last edited by Jayuzuri on Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Jayuzuri - now that's a cat run.
We have just built an outside run for Sunny (stud boy) but at the moment all our cats have access to it.

We are planning to build one for the girls as they seem to love the outdoors, nosy I guess!

I will show my OH, he will love your idea, it still looks very much in keeping with the garden too

What black paint did you use?

Tameeria - what a clever idea. Just goes to show, that you can make the most of whatever space you have! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:40 pm 
Senior Bengal

I used hammerite black matt paint for the wire , put on with a small roller.
Takes around one hour to dry , been useing this for years now with no problems :wink: