It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:50 am 
Offline
Bengal Cat

Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:38 pm
Posts: 41
Location: staffs
I was wondering what disinfectants are safe for cats.
I know anything that turns the water cloudy is poisonous, but alot contain benzalconium chloride or just say discinfectant on the label.

Is it enough just to let the floor dry before reintroducing the cats? or do they leave a residue behind?

I dont know whats more harmfull, germs or disinfectant?

Thanks jenny :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:41 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:32 pm
Posts: 1654
Location: London UK
Savlon is safe to use with cats. A lot of breeders incl. myself use a virucidal disinfectant such as 'trigene' It is always better to let the surfaces dry :wink:

_________________
Best Wishes,
Maddy
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:36 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:54 pm
Posts: 1440
Location: Gillingham, Dorset
I use Dettol no taint spray for my work surfaces, but i always let it dry first before allowing the cats up there (as is recommended for all 'human' disinfectants)
I also use Keep it clean spray which can be bought at any pet shop - it's a deodoriser, cleaner and a disinfectant and it's safe to use around and even on pets. It's suitable for all animals, birds and reptiles. :wink:

http://www.bitsforpets.com/product_info ... ts_id=1455

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:41 pm 
Offline
The Real Boss
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:37 am
Posts: 471
Location: North West, UK
I'm a bleach fan myself but I do make sure that bleached things are dry before cats go anywhere near them.

...Even when the items are dry the cats will still get kinky and touch themselves up against whatever I've bleached. They will even chew my fingers if I've had my hands in bleached water! They're mad :shock:

We used to use detol antibacterial spray/surface wipes/floor wipes but I read the back of a pack of wipes recently and it read "keep away from animals"!

_________________
Heidi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:07 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:32 pm
Posts: 1654
Location: London UK
Heidi wrote:
I'm a bleach fan myself but I do make sure that bleached things are dry before cats go anywhere near them.

...Even when the items are dry the cats will still get kinky and touch themselves up against whatever I've bleached. They will even chew my fingers if I've had my hands in bleached water! They're mad :shock:

We used to use detol antibacterial spray/surface wipes/floor wipes but I read the back of a pack of wipes recently and it read "keep away from animals"!


I use bleach when soaking the litter boxes, but my tribe try and wee anywhere near a bleached surface in the house :shock: I believe it contains the same 'fatty deposits' as cat urine and so cats are attracted to it. I use it occasionlly for house cleaning, but spray lemon oil on afterwards :lol:

_________________
Best Wishes,
Maddy
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:42 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:25 pm
Posts: 176
Location: Altrincham
Quote:
Even when the items are dry the cats will still get kinky and touch themselves up against whatever I've bleached. They will even chew my fingers if I've had my hands in bleached water! They're mad


My 2 are the same! If they can smell bleach on me they act in the same way they would with catnip! Very odd! :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Cleaners
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:42 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:19 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: Wiltshire, England
I always used to use bleach but became highly allergic to it even wearing gloves. I now suffer from atopic exzema.

The cleaner I now use is called Safe4, many veterinary practices/rescues use it and it is Defra approved. It is safe for cats to go on when wet. They do fragrances but I go for the odourless version. If you put Safe4 in your search engine it will take you to their site. I buy the large concentrate and mix 10ml to 250ml of water in a spray bottle. The also make hard cleansers etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey