[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Introducing a new kitten
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Introducing a new kitten
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would like a little advice please, I am thinking about getting another bengal a girl kitten, would Magic except another cat or would he be upset as he has had us all to himself for nearly 4 years.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Nobody knows the answer to this question but Magic. What is he telling you? LOL. You've been a member of this forum for a while and I'm sure you've read the posts where owners need HELP because the cats are not getting along. It's a long process -- can take months and months to get them settled in to each other. And then you will have a situation where the bonding is almost immediate. You simply do not know.

Are you prepared to lose the bond you have with Magic once he bonds with another cat and prefers that cat's company to yours? Are you prepared for double the food, more litter boxes, another cat tree, more cat beds, more toys, double the vet bills. It's not just whether Magic will accept another cat in the house. I practically step on Raiden all the time and if I had two underfoot, one would get squished. Okay, so that's an exaggeration.

I am always in favor of cat lovers who open their hearts and homes to more than one cat. However, it is a real commitment. Clare (Tabitha) currently has a situation where her two brothers are now not getting along. That's always a real possibility. I do believe a single-cat household can work -- even for my Raiden. But, the decision is ultimately up to you as it's your home and you know Magic better than anybody else. Just understand that once a decision is made and the new arrival comes into your house, the gig is on and there's no turning back.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know I may lose the bond I have with Magic, it's just he almost acts as if he's bored all the time and would like the company of another cat, when the cat down the road comes to the door he rushes up to the door trying to sniff him.

It's one of those things I've been debating for a while.

I will have to think long and hard about what to do.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My Raiden seems bored some of the time, too! He wants me to play with him and I have stuff I need to get done. He gets over it and will just lay down and take a nap. Raiden is highly territorial and does not like any other cats, which makes it difficult as I'm feeding a neighbor's cat (he ran away from home down to my house). Raiden tries to attack him every day on our walks. They have come nose to nose without a problem, then the next time, Raiden is striking out at him. I don't know that I can ever get them to be friends, thus the other cat has to be outside in sub-freezing temps, rain, snow! We've given him a heated cat house and two heated cat beds to make him comfortable, but the little guy wants to come in the house so bad and I just can't let Raiden kill him. I don't know how Raiden would react to a kitten.

Know that sniffing the scent of another cat is just what cats do. It doesn't mean they like the cat at all. Raiden does this on our walks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have spoke to the breeder I got Magic from, she has a snow rosetted girl ready now and another snow girl ready early February, I am going to make an appointment to go and see them at the weekend.

I think I will definitely get a kitten to go with Magic.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

No, no, no! You never go and visit the breeder because you ALWAYS will come home having left a deposit on a kitty! LOL As long as you are happy with your decision, that's all that matters. Hopefully, Magic will approve.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:55 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I just joined the forum and landed on this thread. I just purchased my first Bengal and the breeder (and my daughter) are pushing for another kitten. I live mostly alone and am looking for some fellowship.. a friend. Would like to have another dog but it's a bit too much for me to take on at this tine in my life. Always have loved cats and until my recent purchase, in the past we have always had two cats, but at this time in my life, it seems a bit too much for me to take on.

Currently, the breeder has suggested keeping Charlie (new Bengal) in a small area to allow him time to bond and settle down for the next 1-2 wks (which is killing me), he's 6-months old and seems to be struggling a bit. He is also used to having his brothers and sisters around him, thus the recommendation to purchase another sibling.

As stated above, it's a bit too much for me to take on, I am also concerned about losing the bond I hope to make with Charlie as we learn to live together. Another cat in my mind could separate our relationship.

This is the first thread I have found that discusses real issues. Every breeder I talk to is suggesting more cats. I am encouraged by your words hoping that I am making the right decision to stick with one cat and hopefully not robbing Charlie of a life without a friend.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well everyone I have come home with a new baby girl after visiting the breeder, she is the most lively kitten I've ever known, Magic is a little upset but not too bad, he hissed and growled when he smelled her scent on me, I keep going upstairs to him and letting him smell me, he is not growling or hissing now, he won't come down to where I have her yet, she is a snow rosetted I have named her Pearl, I'm hoping Magic will come round eventually.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

You know how this is supposed to work -- new kitty in safe room, introductions go slow with scent swapping, etc. It will take some time for Magic to come around. Hang in there -- patience.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well all good intentions went out of the window, Magic was living upstairs and Pearl downstairs, I was regularly going to Magic so he could smell her, he hissed and growled for a while then it stopped and I started to get kisses again, he came down the stairs a few times to sniff the air.

All was going well until we forgot to close the door Pearl went out and met Magic on the stairs, there was a little hissing but nothing much.

Next thing I know she is chasing him round, he didn't seem to mind, when she came back down he came looking for her, now they are looking for each other and she is chirping at him, he's a little unsure but he sniffed her head.

So I am going to chance it and let them get on with it.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One of the reasons to keep the cats separated is to make sure your new little girl didn't come home with something transmittable to Magic! But now that they are together, you just chance that all is okay. As long as they are just hissing and growling and not attacking each other, that is a great sign. And your little girl is the instigator here. I think Magic and Pearl will get along great. We need pictures.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Will post some pictures soon, Magic has now excepted her and they spent all morning chasing each other round the house, which is great.

Luckily as she is nearly 4 months old she was the only one left as she was going to a breeder, she has had all her vet checks and vaccinations, so hopefully all OK.

They definitely seem to like each other, she talks to him all the time, he follows her around, I think as he is so laid back that's why he has excepted her.

Hopefully next step they may curl up together, at the moment she is sleeping behind the sofa and him on our bed.

Bristol, UK

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So happy you have not had major issues with Magic accepting Pearl. Want to see a picture of them sleeping together.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think a little too much is sometimes made of the sleeping together thing. Yes, it's cute when cats do it, and it is sign of trust, but I think the fact that they are successfully playing together and not territorial is huge, and on it's own sufficient. This will probably change when they are 3-4+ years old, that's when territory starts to matter again, but for now I think you are "there" as far as kitty harmony in your home, based on what you've written.