[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - 3yr old suddenly started spraying.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:10 pm 
Bengal Kitten

We have recently rehomed a three year old Bengal (Rajah). He's settled in really well, and is on the whole well behaved. Although, last week he sprayed on the sofa and I caught him doing it again this evening. Could there be any reason for this? How do we stop him doing it again?

I told him off at the time and I'm pretty sure he knows what he did was "bad" but am worried he's going to keeping doing it as he can maybe still smell it? I have put a towel over the spot now so it is clear if he offends again.

Does anyone have any experience with this or similar? Or can recommend any particular products or formulas to help irradiate the smell so he won't do it again.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum! I take it Rajah has been neutered. Know that it doesn't solve the marking problem! He's marking his territory! Do you have a current or did you have a previous pet? It's possible that smell may still be around. The best advice I can give you is to train him to walk on a harness and leash and take him outside. I have an 8 year old bengal who was neutered at 12 weeks. He marks on our daily walks -- but does not mark in the house. You can also add some Feliway diffusers in the rooms that he goes into. There is also Feliway spray for the areas once you have them completely cleaned. This is strictly marking territory! The only thing you can do is try to make him feel "safer" in is environment. There may be neighborhood cats that he can see and/or smell, even if you can't see or smell them. Jackson Galaxy sells some holistic remedies at http://www.spiritessences.com. They may have one to help your problem.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:15 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thanks very much for your reply.

In answer to your questions... Yes, he has been neutered. No, we have never owned another cat here. We also have a Feliway diffuser right near the area that he has sprayed. Since we have cleaned it there have be no repeat offences so hopefully it's just a one off (fingers crossed!) just worries that it's only a matter of time until he does it again. Just find it odd as he seems so settled in every other way.

Any other advice welcomed!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

When we rehomed our 7 yr old neutered male - Oscar, he also started spraying about a month after he arrived. We thought it strange that it took a month for it to start. He was spraying on both sides of huge floor to ceiling glass doors we had. We realised he felt these doors were a weakness in his territory boundaries so he was spraying either side. We cleaned the areas very well with enzymatic cleaner which is vital to totally get rid of the smell and then sprayed the areas with spray feliway. We also put little bowls of food either side so that these areas were associated with happy hormones and yummy food. I also put a scratching post there too and used jackson galaxy product called Safe Space in his drinking water. I think the spraying is just him being territorially insecure which is not surprising if he is new to your family. Another thing to consider is has another cat been around the house outside? Is the sofa near a big window/door which he could possibly see as a weakness in his territory. Oscar did stop spraying when he felt more secure. The last time he sprayed was ages ago when we had a carpenter doing some work. Our carpenter Eddie always brings his Pointers who stay in the van but obviously the wood smells of dog! Oscar was not having that so he sprayed on the newly installed fitted wardrobes :rolleyes: :sad: I have never told my husband!!!!!!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Raiden sprayed our headboard twice when he saw another cat walking through our yard. Cleaned it and sprayed it with Feliway and that was it. He still sprays his enclosure on a regular basis -- but that's outside. And he sprays the bushes and trees on our walks. There's no "training" him to stop! It's what a territorial cat does! Plain and simple. Melissa, it sounds as if you worked very hard to figure things out and make things right for Oscar. The marking can be a one-time only deal or it can become a regular habit. But, there is always something that has set the kitty off and affected their territory.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes it does seem like it needs something to happen to cause them to spray. Spraying on the headboard is definitely not something I would be able to hide from the husband!!!!

UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Melissa, hubby and I were in the bed both times he sprayed!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

OMG Raiden!!!!!!!! What a little monster! I really hope he aimed well at the headboard and not your heads! I think I might have had a sense of humour failure at that point!

UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:15 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

One time several months ago, Grace sprayed on me when I was in bed! I was so shocked I didn't know what to make of it. At the time she didn't allow Blondie on the bed so I think she was marking the bed, or me! I was concerned, but it never reoccurred to my knowledge. She quivers when I pet her and she turned around and droplets of smelly wet stuff was on my face and arm. I still get grossed out thinking about it. They are definitely animals...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cat urine is the grossest thing that you don't want ON you! LOL. The second time, we realized Raiden was about to start and scooted him away! The problem cat moved last year, so I think we are good. The outdoor b/w cat I'm taking care of is very mellow and not a threat at all to Raiden.