It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Hi :)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:13 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi.

I thought I'd join as I've been trying to research the bengal breed and got very, very lost.

I'll start at the beginning. I'm haych. Pronounced H short for Hayley. I've had cats as long as I can remember. She's I am currently owned by 6 cats. 2 moggies, 3 British shorthairs and our newest member a 14 week old bengal kitten.

2 of my British shorthairs are my beloved breeding Queens and have just this week given me 10 little bundles of cuddly fur between them.

Our bengal,crystal, is a lynx snow (if I have that correct) as she has blue eyes) and our future Queen too. She has a beautiful coat, wonderful rosettes growing and lovely soft glittery fur.

Getting to know the bengal breed after owning the BSH after so many years is very different! And it's very funny. She is wonderful. We've only had her a week and we're smitten with our kitten!

I'll post more information about her on the relevant sections later

What I'm wondering is about all the genetics, colour carrying etc. My breeder is the same as me. She is learning as much as me as she's usually as BSH breeder.

Crystal is from a snow spotted mom and a brown rosetted father mating.

Any information would be appreciated as when I looked I saw C gene this and can't have something - what's the possibility of her having brown kittens on a snow to snow mating? Etc?

Thank you

Ps. I'll add pics as soon as I can get some uploaded

Post subject: Re: Hi :)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome to the forum and congratulations on your bengal kitten. Genetics when it comes to bengals are quite interesting! The pedigree of your kitty is not pure snow. She carries the brown rosetted gene and will probably produce kittens that are darker even if bred with another snow. Without knowing her entire pedigree -- I'll just go with what is in my Raiden's pedigree. He has several marbled bengals -- he is brown rosetted. He has several other types: blue mink, seal sepia, torbie, sable, ocicat, egyptian mau, etc. There will always be a recessive gene from any cat in the pedigree that might come out. It can take several generations to pure a specific type within the breed. It's really a coin flip.