[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - In need of durable toys!!
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:51 pm 
Bengal Cat

Hey everyone! Some may remember me from posts about my baby Bengal Finn who passed away back in January. I still miss him incredibly! To ease some of my sadness and that of Nala, our more active kitty at home, we decided to get another Bengal! We have recently brought home our beautiful girl Fiona, an F1 Bengal! She's a delight. And a handful, but we knew that! ;] Let's just say she rules the house.

Fiona is of course still a kitten and loves to play! We literally have a basket full of toys galore, since her other sister Bella (small toy poodle) is more of a cat than a dog and plays with small toys! Well... Fiona literally destroys every single one of the toys in a day or two. Ripping them apart, pulling out the stuffing, pulling out the suqeakers or noise makers, pulling strings apart on the wands we use to play with, chewing plastic apart... You name it, she does it. This doesn't bother me, I can buy more toys, but it does worry me, because I don't want her to ingest anything when I am not around, and I can't very well leave her without any toys for hours!

So I am on the hunt for some strong durable toys that can at least live a teeny bit longer?!

Any ideas?

She's not fond of the laser pointer yet, although her older sisters are teaching her. She's extremely smart!

Currently as I type she has knocked over every possible thing next to me in the table that is not a toy... At least she's amused! Ha

Thanks in advance for ideas!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:59 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm not sure there isn't a toy that a bengal can not destroy! I did buy Raiden a TNR buddy from Jackson Galaxy's website. It was on sale. Raiden rough-houses with that thing. The seams are stringy, but the stuffed cat is still intact. I don't know that I would use any feather toys as those feathers come off easily and can be eaten by the cat. Wand toys can be easily broken off -- string is pretty flimsy. Have you thought about any of the track toys? I have several and they are quite sturdy. Of course, mine won't play with them. I've also seen "play mats" for cats with various toys sewed on them. Most cat owners have to replace the toys regularly! That's just the way it goes. Congratulations on your F1.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:04 pm 
Bengal Cat

Haha Sherry! You may be right about no toy in the world that is safe from the jaws of a Bengal! I did buy her a ball that chirps that is inside a plastic ring on a track that she can bat around. She plays with it a bit, but doesn't enjoy it as much as anything she can chew up. -.- I have done some research and I guess there is a disorder called pica, which if the kitty chews up toys in extreme with their back teeth and eats toys it could be that. So I will discuss with the vet tomorrow during her check-up, but I also think it's kitten aggression! Thankfully she has not gotten a blockage from all the toys she's snuck and ate, but I don't want any future mishaps! Thanks for suggestions!! :]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oscar chews the cardboard floor scratch pads. I am not sure whether chewing is a physical need for some bengals. He literally rips and spits as if he is chewing on a carcass. There are quite a few bengals on this forum who chew cardboard. As long as he is not eating it then it's fine. Also cardboard is a lot safer to chew than plastic stuff etc. The mess everyday is horrific but I am fine it if it gives him an outlet for his chewing needs!

UK
Oscar - Rescue (Rascal!!!) Bengal

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Grace gnaws on wood furniture, everyday. She really goes to town on it. I have never seen Blondie do it, but she sniffs the areas of damage. I have a teak planter next to the feeding area and she chews that loudly as I get their meal ready. My bedside night stands are also a favorite as they have pointy thin edges. I know something is going on under my bed as I hear ripping and chewing at night. I guess it calms her down to do this. On the upside her teeth look great!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Cats with pica can be a problem. My bengal loves to lick plastic bags. He doesn't eat them -- just licks them. It's dangerous for a cat to ingest anything that's not food! And they can gnaw on larger things and bite off pieces. Kittens especially love to chew on things -- may strengthen their jaw or fulfill some other need in them. I don't know that cats enjoy entertaining themselves, so you can watch pretty carefully if you are interacting with the cat by playing with it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:35 pm 
Bengal Cat

I may try some cardboard scratching toys to see if she rips that. We do spend time playing with her, she just enjoys us playing with her with a soft toy we throw and she plays fetch. Sometimes she rips at it before she brings it back, that's when we freak out haha. And wood?! Bah I couldn't imagine! What about wood splinters? And yeah I do think that there is a part of the need to chew and rip in all bengals which is fine, I just want her to not eat it ha! I found a tennis ball that's smaller that she can pick up and has a bell inside, she loves that! And she doesn't chew it! Sooo, hopefully we find some more stuff! :] Thanks for suggestions and feedback!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are only a bazillion toys out there for cats! There has to be one or two that are indestructible!