It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:00 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi again,

An update and a query or two please. To save people looking at previous posts the short story is that we lost one of our kittens to FIP @ 6 months. Devastating.

Our remaining kitten, now about 10 months, seems very happy about 90% of the time. She loves playing, sits on our laps in the evening (and won't leave any of our drinks alone!), and sleeps under my daughter's quilt. The 10% off is due to occasional peeing and now pooing concerns - I would say an 'accident' every couple of weeks. We do go away for the odd weekend - maybe one weekend every two months - and have a cat sitter come in. During these times the kitten is clearly missing us and 'accident' levels rise. I'm already worried for kitten during our summer hols next year. So, after much soul searching we're thinking of getting a playmate kitten and have a number of questions about if this is a good idea. Namely:

Our remaining kitten has coronavirus (tested positive) and so it is likely new kitten would get it too. Is this just a non-starter for getting a new kitten or are the odds considered low enough?

Would kittens/cats (eventually) bond with each other and thus reduce affection to us?

Should we get a Bengal to keep up with our 10 month old or is another breed / moggie considered fine?

I realise there are no definitive answers but would once again value the forum's advice.

Thanks jeb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Jeb, I am so very sorry at the loss of your kitty! FIP is a deadly virus that takes a cat's life way too soon. Since your current kitty has tested positive, I don't know that I would bring another cat into your household as you will be dealing with issues with this one. Your kitty obviously suffers from separation anxiety. As long as you decide to leave your kitty, this is simply going to be an issue and the behavior of peeing outside the litter box is a result of the stress she is feeling. Many cat owners feel another cat will help. It very well could help with the stress, however, it appears your kitty is quite bonded with your family. I don't know that I would take of chance of another kitten getting this deadly disease since it is so easily transmitted. You would be doing a huge disservice to another kitty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So sorry for your loss. My Bengal, Dexter died from Wet FIP at 9 months of age. I know how devastating it is.

I think the Coronavirus is very common and only a tiny percentage of cats go on to develop FIP.

Again 'I think' it's possible for the Coronavirus to be shed after some months or years so you could possibly get your cat retested to see if he is still carrying the virus but someone correct me on that if I am wrong there.

Also if you get another kitten/cat that too may already have the virus as it is extremely common. Apparently if you get an older cat they are less likely to develop FIP. The Coronavirus can also mutate if the cat is exposed to stress so this may be something you need to think about.

I have my old Burmese Muskey, and I know he now has the coronavirus as he caught it from Dexter. He hasn't shown any symptoms at all of anything. He's also extremely friendly towards other cats (he accepted Dexter immediately and loved the company) but there is no way I would introduce another kitten/cat.

I just don't like the idea of potentially passing on a virus or a virus getting passed on to Muskey as he's an old boy now and I don't think he would cope with any illness at this age very well.

In my experience the relationship between you and your cat does change if you reintroduce another cat. The bond isn't as strong I feel.

It's a very tough decision but if it was me I would stick with just the one.

RIP my sweet baby Dexter, Snow Bengal 19/5/14 to 5/3/15 and my lovely dear old friend Muskey, Brown Burmese put to rest aged 15 on 14/11/15.

Debbie