[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Need some harness advice!
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:47 am 
Bengal Kitten

Can someone recommend a good harness for a 3 month old kitten? Just finished all his shots and I would like to take him outside for a little bit on a harness. looking for one that he will obviously not slip out of and will hold him in comfortably. thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There are three types of harnesses and you basically need to decide which one your kitty would like. The walking jackets are fabric and look much like a cape on a cat. There are places who custom make them to the size of your kitty. Naturally, since Jax is a kitten and growing, another jacket would be required once the smaller one stopped fitting. They have some adjustment in them, but not a lot.

There is the H harness which straps around the neck and another strap around the chest. The clasp to attach the leash is on the back strap to alleviate any pressure around the neck. These come in multiple colors and are adjustable in their size (S, M, L).

The figure 8 harness has a strap around the neck and one around the chest and clasps at the neck. To me, this is the easiest one for the cat to escape from (Raiden did it once) and I don't like the fact the clasp is at the neck. I use the figure H harness for Raiden and I know a lot of people here love the walking jackets (and the kitties look super cute in them).

You can google the different types of harnesses, read reviews and decide what you think would be best for Jax. As for a leash, I use a 10' retractable leash which allows Raiden far enough ahead of me but close enough that I can catch up with him quickly.

Just know that Jax is going to have to get used to any harness that you buy and it may take some time before you can actually take her out. She will either fight the leash trying to get it off her, she will lay down as if she can't walk, or she will be fine with it immediately. If she fights it, try to distract her with a treat. If that doesn't work, remove the leash and try again an hour later. Keep doing this until she finally gets used to it. If she lays down, try to get her up and walking by giving her a treat. Once a cat realizes they can walk wearing the harness, they are usually fine.

She will probably be terrified once she's outside. It's a big world out there, so be patient and let her go at her own pace. The more she is outside, the more confident she will become. Take a towel or small blanket with you as you may be sitting a lot on the ground while she just stands around sniffing things.

Good luck.