It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help Please?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:52 am 
Bengal Kitten

:(

Good morning. i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to deal with my bengal kitten. He's 22 weeks old and we've had him about 9 weeks. The problem is he keeps attacking me and scratching and biting. He never does this to my husband but i'm covered in scratches. It's getting to the stage were i'm frightened to be home alone with him. I've tried shouting at him like my husband does but he really dosent take any notice. I find this really upsetting because i'm frightened he's going to always be like this with me. I love him too bits and he loves coming to me to sleep on my lap or cuddle up in bed with me but then can just be really horrible. I'm the first person to see him in the morning, the first one home to play with him, feed him and give him lots of attention. Am i doing something wrong?? or is this normal for male cats to be like this with females because he seems to respect my husband?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:27 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Im so sad that your not enjoying your little baby..

it is normal for kittens to 'play rough'..
I would sugest you trim his nails firstly so it doesnt hurt as much when he is 'pouncing on you..
then, make sure he has loads of toys, climbing frames/cat tree's..
he is usuing you as his play mate.. they always play rough.. but be careful you dont scare him if you shout at him.. he is only a baby..

there are loads of threads on he for trimming nails, he will settle down with age, maybe you could get him a 'playmate' :wink: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:58 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tiger was the same and he used to terrorise our then 5 year old. So we got Lilly who then became the focus of his attention :lol:

Having him 'tutored'* also helped :wink:

* Far Side reference - a dog in the back of a car is bragging to his friend sat on the lawn that he's going for a drive to the vets and then he's going to be tutored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I agree with a little playmate for your kitten. Try to substitute your hand for a toy, and when he plays rough, tell him a firm 'no' and walk away. He'll soon get the message. He will grow out of this phase though, and a furry companion will make a difference if that is an option :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i would emphasise swapping the hand for a toy too. every time he goes at it with the claws, remove yourself & put a toy in the way & leave him too it. he will learn to associate that you will not tolerate it & will ignore him if he does it. he won't like getting no attention. he will also associate rough play with the toy, & not with you.

hope it works out soon :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:13 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for your help.

We trimmed his claws last night and he let us do it without any trauma. I tried swapping my hand for a toy and walking away from him and it seemed to work (except a few times when he clung onto my leg instead). I can honestly say i've woke up today without any new scratches so fingers crossed this will do the trick. I've suggested to my husband a few times about getting a playmate but he wants to wait so he can get a little female bengal. Thanks again for all your advice!!

xx :D