It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It is warm wet and humid now in Sydney and mosquitoes are very active. Our boy cat has been rehomed to a friend's large property, and he has a roofed area with a raised platform on which we have placed a covered bed, out of the weather. My friend just went to shake his bedding out and out came a swarm of mosquitoes. Poor boy!

He gets Comfortis monthly for fleas and a Milbemax heartworm treatment too. But what might we do to deter mozzies from his sleeping area? It was upsetting enough having to rehome him, without thinking of him subjected to biting every night :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am so sorry to hear you had to rehome one of your kitties! Cats have a high sensitivity to chemicals. There aren't many repellants for cats. Since this is an outdoor enclosure, they may want to hang some sort of repellant in the enclosure and where the cat can't reach it. I think we all know mosquitoes carry deadly diseases, so it's best to try and figure out a solution. There's a lot of information on the internet. I'm guessing the new owner does not allow the kitty in their home. It would be nice if the kitty could sleep inside when the mosquitoes are at their heaviest. In the summer, there are mosquitoes that follow Raiden and me on our walks and I'm constantly shooing them away from him. Your vet may have some recommendations, too.