It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:35 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Kona is an active guy (aren't all Bengals?) and he enjoys playing with a lot of "toys," both the purchased type as well as the made-up type. But none of the toys has ever provided as much excitement and long-lasting fun as a very simple, almost free toy we've discovered.

It's a four-inch piece of metal coated spiral binding used in print shops to bind sheets of papers/booklets together. Go to an office store and ask for a section of the binding material--it's sold by the inch. We bought about 20 inches worth for 75 cents (USD) and then clipped it into sections. Do not use the thicker, plastic comb binding if your cat chews--this is the thin, metal-coated style.

I know it's very similar to the hard plastic "spring" toys sold for cats, but Kona is a plastic-chewer and those toys were too easily chewed by him and ended up in tiny pieces which are dangerous. These spiral binding sections seem to be pretty chew-proof (but we still don't leave them out for him; one is only brought out at play time; he meows at the cupboard to ask for it) and Kona finds them absolutely irresistible.

We toss the toy along a hallway and he runs quickly, skids sideways then slides out flat along the floor to grab it at first bounce, his rear end sliding up past his front, turning the whole motion into a blur of Bengal madness.

'Just thought some of you might be interested in an inexpensive great way to keep your Bengal happy!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have a box of binding combs that I don't use. Never considered it for a toy for Raiden. I'm going to give it a shot. He's so particular about the toys he likes. He has a ton of them, but likes only a couple of them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What a great idea! We'll have to try that for Diesel.

Clyde, Bleu & Coal - Great Danes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:15 am 
Bengal Cat

That's a great idea!
Luna is into everything at the moment so I'm trying to find more "toys" she can play with without destroying them. Her newest toy is one of my son's stuffed teddies.