It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:51 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello All - I'm getting my first bengal cat (male snow bengal) on Friday. I've had plenty of other 'moggies' in the past - but wanted to ask experienced bengal cat owners on this board for their top 3 pieces of advice for helping us start off on a positive note. Especially things that you know now, but wished you'd known/did when you first got your cat e.g. Training, setting boundaries etc.... Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think my 3 (ok 4) "what I'd do differently" things would be:

1. Would have prepared the house better for bengals. Installed cat shelving, cat climbing poles, tall cat trees etc. I eventually came around to this conclusion, but it would have been better if all that were in place from the start.

2. Would have focused more on "play" right from the start. It's so important to bengals, and such a big part of bonding with them. Yes, I played with them, but I should have done even more and bonded with them faster.

3. Signed up for healthy paws pet insurance immediately.
With the bengals, I read about pet insurance, decided that I wanted it, signed up for Trupanion, but not until after their first vet visit. Big mistake on both fronts. With Neytiri I did it right. I signed her up *before* her first vet visit, and signed her up with Healthy Paws.

4. I didn't really understand the whole world of pedigree cats prior to getting Serafina and Gaga, so I didn't really understand what criteria to use to judge a breeder and their cats. Not that I regret getting them, but if I were to do it over again, I would focus more on pedigree and health screenings and socialization. Things like that. Again I think I did a better job of that when I got Neytiri.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:52 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Bengals are so different from moggies! I wish I'd known that my bengal would cry all the time and have 100 different cries that all mean something different and I'd have to figure them out. I wish I'd known that they have tireless energy. Mine has yet to take a nap today! He wants to play constantly and I can't get any chores accomplished. My bengal has the sweetest disposition of any cat I've ever had. Nothing rattles my baby. He melts my heart -- even with all his crying. Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 11:31 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Please keep the tips coming! We get our first two delivered for late July / early August. We have had a cat before but only one at a time.

We got the cat tower coming The Lotus , we ordered a couple wave perches1 Large 1 Small , and have been looking at some shelving for cat walks.

Pretty much set on having 2 litter boxes, 1 on each floor. Anybody have an opinion on covered, or not? We have heard that some Bengals have a tendency to throw the litter.

Any tips on electronic wires? The initial introduction to the house room is likely to have the computer in it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Christo wrote:
Pretty much set on having 2 litter boxes, 1 on each floor. Anybody have an opinion on covered, or not? We have heard that some Bengals have a tendency to throw the litter.

Here's the thing... your cats are going to have preferences. Preferences like whether they like hooded or not hooded, the size of the box, the type of the litter, how clean they expect it to be, how many boxes there are, where the boxes are located, and all that. So it takes some experimentation to figure that out. You can plan all you like based on *your* preferences and convenience, but if it doesn't suit your cat(s) the result is pee and/or poo on your carpets, rugs, floors, beds, and other belongings. Then you will suddenly you'll have a different perspective on what is convenient for you :lol: Believe me... any sort of arrangement that results in your cats happily using their litterbox(es) are what is going to be convenient and "right" for you in the long run :lol: So you have to sort of think about it in those terms.

My advice: start with 2 boxes on each floor. You can make some of them hooded and some not to see what they like if you want. Also get the largest ones you can buy, right from the start. Some bengals owners even result to using other types of containers which are larger than anything that pet stores sell because they are still too small. Also start with the type of litter used by their breeder. You can slowly change it if you like.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:59 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My ONE piece of advice, don't over think it. Nothing you do is set in stone, you can change things. Cats are individuals and you are too. You do whatever works for both the cat/s and yourself.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

brianj12 wrote:
3. Signed up for healthy paws pet insurance immediately.
With the bengals, I read about pet insurance, decided that I wanted it, signed up for Trupanion, but not until after their first vet visit. Big mistake on both fronts. With Neytiri I did it right. I signed her up *before* her first vet visit, and signed her up with Healthy Paws.

What is the deal with Trupanion? I got a quote from them and I find it to be absurd. We are in Canada. The quote was based on them just being born, and this would also be before the 1st Vet visit. What changed for you? I was thinking I would get a new quote after the spaying / neutering; as it should come back lower.