It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Training kittens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:19 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hey ive just got a question regarding tricks and training bengals.

Ive heard lots of storys about peoples bengals playing fetch and learning new tricks. I was wondering if there was any way you can train your bengal to fetch or sit on comand or anything like that. My boy is 4 months and he doesnt do anything. He responds to his name and sometimes comes when he is called but thats about it. My last bengal i had talked alot. If i would ask her if she wanted a drink or was hungry she would respond to me, but my boy that i have now doesnt. I was just wondering if there was anyway of teaching them this or does this just depend on the bengal?

Post subject: Re: Training kittens
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:58 am 
Senior Bengal

You can teach any animal to do at least some tricks. You just need to be consistent and patient.

Here is example of my two kittens:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

bettel wrote:
You can teach any animal to do at least some tricks. You just need to be consistent and patient.

Here is example of my two kittens:

Soon cute!!
Loved Spanish walk)))
Did you train both at the same time?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:41 pm 
Senior Bengal

laurel wrote:
Loved Spanish walk)))

It is actually a horse trick :mrgreen: (starting 0:25 my horse is doing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... mRPAk#t=24 ) but it is quite easy to teach cats walk like this.

laurel wrote:
Did you train both at the same time?

Yes, I always train them both at the same time as it does not create a stress of being separated (they are always together). And it also gives them some feel of competition :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't train my cats at all... But the jump on my shoulder, play fetch and will follow some commands easily... Never needed to train them to do it....

I think some cats will naturally do these things, some will be easily trained with food to perform and some will be stubborn so and so's! I have a Bengal that is not remotely food orientated and impossible to train. There is nothing to reward him with! My Tonks, on the other hand, will do all of those things just for attention. No training necessary! Lol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

For "tricks" (sitting, h-5, being called by name, rolling over etc), by all means, try clicker training. Playing fetch though I think is an activity that either your cat will want to do or will not. But you should just try it. Serafina used to like to play fetch with little soft bouncing balls, now she is luke-warm on doing it. She will often chase it, but then when she catches up to it she's like "meh, ok I'm done". Gaga loves to play fetch now (that's "her thing") and she will bring me the same little soft bouncing balls to me to throw that serafina used to use. She also love straws. The bigger the better. Neytiri also likes to play fetch, but she only wants to play with these little fluffly, hairy, mouse toys. She races after them with a ton of enthusiasm, then brings them back for me to throw again. Try throwing various objects and see what he reacts to.

As far as "talking" goes, again I think either your cat likes to talk, or does not. But with a kitten you are not yet seeing the full personality. It may be a matter of comfort level to some extent.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Your kitty is still a baby! It takes a LOT of time and a LOT of patience and working with the kitty over and over and over and over and over again. You get the picture. Repetition is what trains them, so it's just something you have to do again and again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

cool, someone keen to train their kitten, :mrgreen:

Food motivated little ones are easy to get started, I recommend teaching just the basics of what a training session is at first.. the clicker, and hand gesture and sound attached to each trick.

start off by rewarding something you like and get kitty to repeat it over and over untill the gesture and sound for the trick and completely learned.
My girl will speak on command (a gesture command) which is a favourite in my family.

dont worry about the complex tricks to start with , just do a few basic things like sit and hold paw (left and right) but vary the location and swap trainer (ask a helper to do exactly as you do) to really see what is sticking and being learned.
Ive forgotten as many tricks as I have taught my girl over time (lol) but she has some steady favourites that she now ''offers'' during a training session and really the best thing is to develop anything that sticks (make a basic thing like stand up into a more complex thing like stand up and wave a paw for eg)
Cleo doesnt fetch ,,,, thats not to say she never will and if she does I will for sure reinforce and repeat to try to get her to do it often.. but as yet she hasnt gone for that.
It is really upto the individual cat what they will pickup and give you to work with in the first place.

Ill pop a vid in here of my girl when she was tiny doing a session with my mum - who is my helper and stands in for me so I can check what Cleo is picking up.
(its not public pls dont share it)
Cleo bengal kitten training
just to show you they are never too young.... just keep sessions short and fun for little ones and as sherry says allow as much time as it takes for things to develop and training sessions to be longer and more complex later on
Enjoy the bonding - training is a form of communication between you and kitty that will only strengthen your bond over time.

also when your training sessions are established dont miss the opportunity to teach ''tricks'' that will be useful in other situations... all of the commands I use with Cleo on our walks (inc, follow at my side, come to me and sit under me, and walk quickly across a road) started off in our training sessions (indoors) when she was tiny.

Bettel.. if you see this?
PLEASE can you share how you got the ''bang -lie down'' trick started in the first place?
Ive seen this one so much I wonder why I cant get it started with Cleo at all.. I cant get her to lie down yet - tried lots of ways inc a little gentle pushing and holding treat to the floor (for ages lol) to see if she will get onto her belly (which I could then progress into a roll over)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:49 pm 
Senior Bengal

BengalDaddy wrote:
Bettel.. if you see this?
PLEASE can you share how you got the ''bang -lie down'' trick started in the first place?
Ive seen this one so much I wonder why I cant get it started with Cleo at all.. I cant get her to lie down yet - tried lots of ways inc a little gentle pushing and holding treat to the floor (for ages lol) to see if she will get onto her belly (which I could then progress into a roll over)

It is actually pretty easy:

1) Put a kitten/cat on a nice soft surface (e.g. bed). It should be pleasant for a cat to lie down there.
2) Show him/her "a gun" and say "Bang!" (or whatever you want to say) and after couple seconds of wait time slowly push a kitten with another hand so that a cat lies down.
3) Pet him and praise him a lot.
4) After a few times, start to make your "push" lighter and lighter just reminding.

One day a cat will do it without aids :)

For topic starter just a few comments:

1) You don't actually need a clicker (as a device) but you definitely need a clicker sound. It should be very short so that cat does not have chance to change a behavior while you are pronouncing it. I usually use [ai] sound (I know people who use tongue click or sound [o], it is you personal preference but you need to be consistent). You need to make sure that cat has a positive association with this sound. So for couple days every time when cat does something good, say you clicker sound and give treats immediately.

2) When you start training, choose easy tricks (to beg, to jump on a chair, to jump from one chair to another, to turn) and as soon as cat does it, first you say a clicker word and then, while giving treats, you can add all those "Good boy/girl! Awesome! Bravo!"

3) Choose treats that your cat really likes and give them ONLY during training.

4) Never teach cat anything that you don't like to be done without a command. E.g. if you don't like a cat to talk a lot, don't teach cat to "speak"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:03 am 
Senior Bengal

bettel wrote:
BengalDaddy wrote:

4) Never teach cat anything that you don't like to be done without a command. E.g. if you don't like a cat to talk a lot, don't teach cat to "speak"

First thing I did was teach my cat to speak, haha. Everybody that meets her says she is easily the most talkative cat they've known. Win mode.