It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Raw food
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:45 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello I'm new to all this so any help would be great , I'm a proud owner a female bengal desexed kitten 4 months old now .. And I would love to give some raw food I have read so much on the net ppl say this then other ppl say this I just don't know what to do ... At the moment she is on Royal Canin kitten dry and whiskas kitten that's what the breeder was feeding her mum and dad and what she gave her till I picked her up and she said just to carry on feeding her this but I have read that it's not that good of food and other ppl say it good ..... So any help on the food would be great

Plus one more thing I have seen my girl looks like she is peeing in her water bowl and when I have the water running in the sink then turn it off she does it help .....
She my girl upset or what ????

Hope someone out there can help me .....

Post subject: Re: Raw food
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Panno wrote:
ppl say this then other ppl say this I just don't know what to do ...

You are never going to find a consensus as far as nutrition is concerned, either for cats or for humans. So you need to accept that. All you can really do, is do your own research, keep an open mind, and then find a good compromise between what your cat enjoys eating, and what meets your nutritional standards.

A good place to start is the "sticky" in the nutrition section of this forum. There's also a good general book on cat nutrition called "what cats should eat" by Jean Hofve, and another book that is more slanted towards raw feeding called "Natural Nutrition For Cats". Also, subscribing to "Bengals Illustrated" will help, as they've had some good issues on nutrition as well.

Hope that helps. Read up and ask lots of questions and opinions. A lot of people get very worked up over this subject, and for good reason because of it's importance.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Panno wrote:
Hello I'm new to all this so any help would be great , I'm a proud owner a female bengal desexed kitten 4 months old now .. And I would love to give some raw food I have read so much on the net ppl say this then other ppl say this I just don't know what to do ... At the moment she is on Royal Canin kitten dry and whiskas kitten that's what the breeder was feeding her mum and dad and what she gave her till I picked her up and she said just to carry on feeding her this but I have read that it's not that good of food and other ppl say it good ..... So any help on the food would be great

Plus one more thing I have seen my girl looks like she is peeing in her water bowl and when I have the water running in the sink then turn it off she does it help .....
She my girl upset or what ????

Hope someone out there can help me .....

If you're interested in learning more about raw feeding, join the facebook group "Cats Completely Raw And Proud (Cat CRAP)" https://www.facebook.com/groups/CatCrap/ They are very helpful on there, just ask what you want to know and many helpful, experienced people will be happy to assist you. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:01 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Meant for the OP but I looked into that FB group and joined. Very interesting.

Transition slowly to raw (say in 10% increments so she gets accustomed to it).

Definitely read up on this whole raw thing. It's a commitment and means more work, not less. I've been doing it for a couple years since I've had my bengals and have not had issues but it's WAY easier to run to the store and buy something that is prepackaged and be done with it. I guess you need to ask yourself why do it in the first place right?
Another site that has good information on raw feeding is http://catinfo.org. Check it out.

Because cats don't necessarily exhibit diet deficiencies readily in the short-term knowing whether your raw diet is complete/balanced becomes a challenge. That's where I'm at right now. I think I'm giving them a balanced feed based on what I know and what I've read but I want to really know so I'm looking into getting a sample analyzed. Now the trick becomes finding a lab that won't charge me an arm and leg to do this!

Hope some of this helps. Keep asking questions! I probably won't have the answer but there are some smart people that dwell here. :)

Mooch