It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:58 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Not only am I a Bengal mommy but I am the mom of two great little boys one is 7 and one is 1 1/2. Now my question is My new furbaby Narnia is 2 and we just got her yesterday she is so scared of my 1 1/2 yr old (he likes to scream KITTY) Narnia will not come out of hiding when my 1 1/2 yr old is up and about only when my son is naping or sleeping for the night. My oldest son got to play with her and pet her and she was fine (I am sure because he is QUIET). About how long will it take her to adapt to the noise and things in my house and not to run and hide? Should I give my little one a treat to give to Narnia to show her he is not going to hurt her? If so what should I give him to give her?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi there,

congrats on your new addition. i have no experience of young children with cats but common sense would tell me to give her a few days to settle first of all. once she is confident enough with her new surroundings you will hopefully find that she is more accepting of your little one.

i wouldn't try & force too much on her to start with as it may take her longer to settle if it scares her.

when she realises that your son isn't a threat, then go for the idea of a treat, but always have them supervised.

there are many cat treats on the market, or a piece of ham or a prawn. try a few with her yourself & by the time you discover which she likes she will probably be ready to take it from your son.

good luck, hopefully it shouldn't take too long :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new 'family' addition. :D

My son used to pull the tail of/chase/play with another cat we had when he was the same age as your son, but he didn't really understand right and wrong. I made a point of saying 'No' to my son and removing him from the cat.
Now, he's a bit older i get him to put the food down for Saffy & William to keep him involved, which he enjoys. He also likes to play with them, although he does tend to go on for a bit and i have to call time. :lol:

They will both get used to each other eventually, given time and patience. Just make sure you supervise the 'meetings' as children can be a bit cruel (without necessarily understanding that they are hurting the animal)

I don't know that the treats would work just yet, you'll need to build up the trust between the two of them first. IMO, Narnia won't come near your little one as long as she feels threatened and if he is screaming every time, then Narnia will stay in hiding. :wink:

It's probably a phase your little one will grow out of soon...he'll be on to something else before you know it. :wink:

Best of luck, i'm sure everything will work out fine. :D