It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello! Kai is coming home in TWO WEEKS...GAHH the wait is painful!

His breeder told me I should probably neuter Kai at 5 or 5.5 months. I've read so many debates about what age to do this. For example, that it is easier when the kitten is younger (ie he heals faster). On the other hand, I read somewhere that by waiting a bit longer the male grows a bit more "masculine" (does that sound right?).

I also want to be sure I neuter him before he starts wanting to spray. What age did other people on this forum neuter their male bengals at, and any words of advice? Kai is growing a bit faster than normal according to his weight, but I dont know if this will cause him to reach sexual maturity faster... :redface:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

My two boys were done at 5.5 months & 6 months - I think probably the earlier of the two is better

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:14 pm 
Senior Bengal

Mine was done at 5 months but I had bought his sister at the same time and didn't want any accidents to happen!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My boy was a stud and he wasn't neutered until he was 2. Trust me waiting longer to neuter doesn't make them masculine!!! He is a sissy cat through and through and if I might add most people mistake him for a girl :redface: So regardless of age early or late he will be the cat his genetics have determined he will be, his testicles have nothing to do with that haha :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:27 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

amberkai wrote:
I read somewhere that by waiting a bit longer the male grows a bit more "masculine" (does that sound right?).

I also want to be sure I neuter him before he starts wanting to spray.

Cats do indeed change as they mature... left intact these changes will include the development of sexual behaviours such as spraying to attract a mate (a bit different to spraying to mark territory) and urge to roam further from home (if allowed out) for the same reason.

Some say it best to ''freeze'' a cats development during the kitten phase by spay/neutering asap to reduce the chances of spraying and other unwanted adult behaviours.
Once learned and practised these behaviours are not forgotten and in SOME cats they may be repeated later even without the hormonal encouragement from being left intact... and in some cats the removal of sex hormones ends all urges to spray/roam ect.

The result of neutering early or late will depend entirely on your cat and there is little point in basing a decision on how someone else's cat turned out...especially just one or a few examples.
I think alot of cases of spraying get blamed on sexual/heat urges when in fact they are more likely to be periods of territorial stress (and spraying to mark not attract a mate) that cause a kitty to spray the home.
I see ALOT of cases inc here on this forum of spraying problems when owners refuse to limit a cat's outdoor roaming. Also from them having no control or willingness to monitor outdoor spaces around the home to deter stranger cats.

IMO there is no good reason to delay (nothing to be gained) spaying/neutering and there IS a better chance of avoiding some issues by doing it early... so speak to your vet and ask their advice with a mind to neuter as soon as possible.
For boys the procedure is very simple and easy with a fast recovery.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Quasar was neutered at 10 weeks. He came home with us at 13 weeks. I LOVED the early neuter. I didn't have to put him through the stress of moving to a new home followed by a trip to the vet.
The breeder said he, and his brother, were both bouncing around the house the night of his neuter. It was like he didn't even know what happened.
I worked as a vet tech years ago. The vet, at that time, neutered males at about 5 months. He even said that, as soon as you can feel the bumps, you can easily perform the procedure thoroughly and safely.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:40 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mine was neutered at 7 months. I only know this from the medical files at the vet since I recently got the cat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:18 am 
Interested in this thread as my un-neutered male that I thought was 5 months old is really only 3mo. Wondering if that's too early or if it could possibly be beneficial?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Basil was done at 6 months. What is interesting, is that with his urine condition, one of the vet he sees now actually asked me when Basil was urinated. After I told him he said "oh, that's good then. Sometimes when cats are neutered too early, the crystal forming tends to be more common in early neutered cats than to late neutered cats." Not that I know at all anything about it, but I remember him telling me that, and giving me advice to let the cat "grow" a little before that surgery.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:33 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

amberkai wrote:
On the other hand, I read somewhere that by waiting a bit longer the male grows a bit more "masculine" (does that sound right?).

Yes they do grow a bit more masculine, but then once they are neutered these traits pretty much disappear. My boy is an ex stud and he was neutered at 3 years of age. Before he was neutered he was stockier and had a squarer face, since getting neutered he's lost all that boofy maleness and he just looks like every other neuter as far as I'm concerned. You certainly can't tell he was neutered late.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:10 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

slbencke wrote:
Basil was done at 6 months. What is interesting, is that with his urine condition, one of the vet he sees now actually asked me when Basil was urinated. After I told him he said "oh, that's good then. Sometimes when cats are neutered too early, the crystal forming tends to be more common in early neutered cats than to late neutered cats." Not that I know at all anything about it, but I remember him telling me that, and giving me advice to let the cat "grow" a little before that surgery.

This is a problem sometimes seen in early neutered dogs but it has not been found to be true in cats. Some vets theorise that it could happen as well as a basis for not early neutering. My own vet who was so adamantly against early neutering has now decided that males can be done from 3 months of age due to the outstanding veterinary research that shows the many benefits of early neutering males and the absence of any real risk factors providing the kitten is fit and healthy.

This is interesting, though a small study.

I would let you kitten settle and become happy and confident in your home before planning to neuter. Any stress right now could make your kitten take so much longer to settle in your home.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:34 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Rio and Chilli are booked in for neutering on 4 December - they'll be 5 months old then. This is what my vet advised

Lisa
X