It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:52 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 2:21 pm
Posts: 8008
I can only imagine what you are going through. When my previous kitty went into renal failure (she was also diabetic), she started going wherever she was. It was a horrible couple of years and then she'd finally had enough and we had her put to sleep at age 17. She went mainly on the carpet, so we pulled it all up and had to prime the spots in the subfloor. We ended up putting in solid wood flooring as we thought we'd never have another cat. Now we have Raiden, a bengal, and he has never had an accident anywhere. He has one litterbox that's in the utility room which is in the center of the house. I check it constantly and clean out whatever he's done. I don't know what I'd do if he started urinating around the house. My husband would banish him, that's for sure. My husband always said "you can always tell the minute you walk into someone's house that they have a cat." Well, for some reason, you can't tell in my house, thankfully.

So many pet owners are asking for a solution to urinating outside of the litterbox. I wish I had a magic wand for you and all the others. Cats are so different from one another. I know how exasperating this has to be for you and how much your love your little one. You just wish they would cooperate with you. Good luck.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:26 pm 
Offline
Senior Bengal
User avatar

Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:21 pm
Posts: 73
I found the raw diet when I was at my ropes end. I had no idea what to do, the vet couldn't help him and he was destroying our furniture and any bedding or soft item he could find. It didn't help that my husband and I were expecting our first child, and I couldn't imagine laying my baby down in his crib only to find it soaked in cat urine.

So, I turned to the internet and scoured it until I found the information on the raw diet. I read lots of testimonies about how it corrected urinary issues as well as having many other benefits. I joined some raw groups on Facebook and gathered as much knowledge as I could before making the leap.

I switched him outright to raw chicken. Chicken is the best protein to start with. Serve it boneless and cut up into cubes. I started my boy on 1" cubes, but some cats would probably prefer smaller chunks. It didn't take him long to learn how to tear the meat apart and within a week he was eating whole 3oz chunks of chicken, tearing them apart and chewing them properly on his own. It took a while for him to work up to crunching through bones, but he did eventually do it. It only took him about 3 months before he was working his way through any bone in, skin on protein that we gave him. We only feed our cat smaller prey like chicken, quail, rabbit, etc. You also need to make sure to give them the proper amount of organs and that they are getting enough taurine (heart).

There are a ton of helpful groups on Facebook, and they helped me out a ton. You can also find a lot of good info if you just do a google search.

They also make premade raw, though I've never tried it. I think you can get it ground, minced or chunks,and in a variety of different proteins.

Like I said, it made the world of a difference for our cat. In addition to clearing up his urinary problems, it also made him shed less and therefor there were way less hairballs. He didn't seem starving all of the time and he was way more energetic.

Cats are obligate carnivores, so when you cut out all of the unnecessary grains, fruits and veggies, they can really thrive. Cats can't even digest most of what is in kibble. Prescription kibble specifically for urinary tract issues works because they add sodium to the kibble to make your cat more thirsty. In my opinion that is INSANE! Sodium isn't good for us, why would anyone think that it would be beneficial for animals?!! You don't see cats outside grazing in wheat fields and orchards. Yes they do occasionally eat grass, but that is in very small amounts and to ease the discomfort caused by hairballs.

_________________
*Lena... and Yuki of course!*


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:25 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:08 am
Posts: 1721
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Have you ever tried adding cranberry powder to his food? My non bengal gets UTI's when she's stressed and adding cranberry powder definitely assists.

I don't have any ideas as to how to get rid of the smells etc. I use a combination of vinegar and baking soda at times to clean cat urine (if I'm not using urine off). You can also use peroxide with it too.

Poor Basil, I bet he's sick of feeling rubbish too

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:45 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:31 pm
Posts: 432
lollo2304 wrote:



Thanks so SO much for this Lollo! :)
I am investing in one very, very soon. This was so brilliant.

_________________
Image
"At the end of the day, you can focus on what's tearing you apart,... or what's keeping you together."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:48 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:31 pm
Posts: 432
Sherry wrote:
I can only imagine what you are going through. When my previous kitty went into renal failure (she was also diabetic), she started going wherever she was. It was a horrible couple of years and then she'd finally had enough and we had her put to sleep at age 17. She went mainly on the carpet, so we pulled it all up and had to prime the spots in the subfloor. We ended up putting in solid wood flooring as we thought we'd never have another cat. Now we have Raiden, a bengal, and he has never had an accident anywhere. He has one litterbox that's in the utility room which is in the center of the house. I check it constantly and clean out whatever he's done. I don't know what I'd do if he started urinating around the house. My husband would banish him, that's for sure. My husband always said "you can always tell the minute you walk into someone's house that they have a cat." Well, for some reason, you can't tell in my house, thankfully.

So many pet owners are asking for a solution to urinating outside of the litterbox. I wish I had a magic wand for you and all the others. Cats are so different from one another. I know how exasperating this has to be for you and how much your love your little one. You just wish they would cooperate with you. Good luck.


Thanks for the encouragement. Haha that statement is totally true, BUT even if NOT from the smell.... you can tell from all the fake mouse toys laying around all over the house. :lol:

_________________
Image
"At the end of the day, you can focus on what's tearing you apart,... or what's keeping you together."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:55 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:31 pm
Posts: 432
luna22 wrote:
I found the raw diet when I was at my ropes end. I had no idea what to do, the vet couldn't help him and he was destroying our furniture and any bedding or soft item he could find. It didn't help that my husband and I were expecting our first child, and I couldn't imagine laying my baby down in his crib only to find it soaked in cat urine.

So, I turned to the internet and scoured it until I found the information on the raw diet. I read lots of testimonies about how it corrected urinary issues as well as having many other benefits. I joined some raw groups on Facebook and gathered as much knowledge as I could before making the leap.

I switched him outright to raw chicken. Chicken is the best protein to start with. Serve it boneless and cut up into cubes. I started my boy on 1" cubes, but some cats would probably prefer smaller chunks. It didn't take him long to learn how to tear the meat apart and within a week he was eating whole 3oz chunks of chicken, tearing them apart and chewing them properly on his own. It took a while for him to work up to crunching through bones, but he did eventually do it. It only took him about 3 months before he was working his way through any bone in, skin on protein that we gave him. We only feed our cat smaller prey like chicken, quail, rabbit, etc. You also need to make sure to give them the proper amount of organs and that they are getting enough taurine (heart).

There are a ton of helpful groups on Facebook, and they helped me out a ton. You can also find a lot of good info if you just do a google search.

They also make premade raw, though I've never tried it. I think you can get it ground, minced or chunks,and in a variety of different proteins.

Like I said, it made the world of a difference for our cat. In addition to clearing up his urinary problems, it also made him shed less and therefor there were way less hairballs. He didn't seem starving all of the time and he was way more energetic.

Cats are obligate carnivores, so when you cut out all of the unnecessary grains, fruits and veggies, they can really thrive. Cats can't even digest most of what is in kibble. Prescription kibble specifically for urinary tract issues works because they add sodium to the kibble to make your cat more thirsty. In my opinion that is INSANE! Sodium isn't good for us, why would anyone think that it would be beneficial for animals?!! You don't see cats outside grazing in wheat fields and orchards. Yes they do occasionally eat grass, but that is in very small amounts and to ease the discomfort caused by hairballs.



That IS insane. adding sodium can create OTHER health issues, and doesn't necessarily promote them to drink more. I can tell you right now Basil doesn't touch his water bowl/water fountain/sink. He just doesn't. Adding water to his food IS my only option to get water consumption in him.

I am checking into Raw, I definitely think there are a lot of plus sides to it, also because it is such a natural thing for them. Like you, I want to fully have my research done before I were to try and start a diet though, because I want to make sure they are getting their proper nutrition.

_________________
Image
"At the end of the day, you can focus on what's tearing you apart,... or what's keeping you together."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:02 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:31 pm
Posts: 432
Fenstar wrote:
Have you ever tried adding cranberry powder to his food? My non bengal gets UTI's when she's stressed and adding cranberry powder definitely assists.

I don't have any ideas as to how to get rid of the smells etc. I use a combination of vinegar and baking soda at times to clean cat urine (if I'm not using urine off). You can also use peroxide with it too.

Poor Basil, I bet he's sick of feeling rubbish too


Yes,you are right. I know he doesn't want to make me upset so he only does it when I am not home. And when I start to smell it, he follows me and sits right besides me as I clean it, as to say "Sorry mom, I couldn't help it. It hurts." :sad:

Yes I have tried cranberry powder but he picks at his food when I add the cranberry, and tries to avoid eating it till he realizes I'm not feeding him anything else then makes faces at me and leaves alot of the food on his plate when hes done. It didn't seem to make much of a difference with the miss urination, But then again I have thought about doing it again from time to time just because I hear that it does help relieve the pain.

We ended up throwing couch number two out last night! We are replacing it with a litter box sometime this week! :mrgreen:

_________________
Image
"At the end of the day, you can focus on what's tearing you apart,... or what's keeping you together."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 am 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:08 am
Posts: 1721
Location: Melbourne, Australia
slbencke wrote:
We ended up throwing couch number two out last night! We are replacing it with a litter box sometime this week! :mrgreen:


Ha ha not quite the same comfort levels :lol:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:18 pm 
Offline
Asian Leopard Cat

Joined: Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:50 pm
Posts: 122
Location: Southampton, Hampshire, England
slbencke wrote:
I'm a full time college student and work almost full time to pay for all of my expenses including the $$$ vet bills that have been adding up trying to find solutions to Basil's urine problems- this has been going on almost a year FYI. I have no problem with that. He's my baby and I love him to death, I'd work as much as I need to make sure he is healthy and on the right track to help/ease his UTI's and his crystals- If you don't know his situation its a never ending cycle of UTI's and crystals.
I don't mind spending my money on that, he's my little bazebabe, I love him SO much. :mrgreen:

But I spend over 100 dollars PER MONTH on urine remover/urine destroyers, etc. Nothing ever works- it still smells, and he still re urinates. If I ever want my mom, family member, friend, etc. to come over for the day, I can't have the entire house and couches smell like cat piss all the time. Especially considering Basils urine is extremely potent in smell.

Basil has peed in money safes, card board boxes, cat beds, purses, bathroom floor matts, computers.... and many other things.
Among them, Basil has single handed destroyed 2 couches, and may now pissing on a 3rd one... or at least around it somewhere.... I tossed one of them because it got to the point of beyond salvageable, and were going to toss the second one this week, but there's so many random areas around the house where you just get whiffs of urine in the air. I can't keep affording to just replace couches because of the continuous urinating. I mean, I'm a college student... I don't even think full time employed individuals are able to afford to replace 3 couches a year, every year either! :mrgreen:


I have litter boxes in three bathrooms of the house, and clean them AT LEAST every other day.
The vet has suggested the medicated food hes been on for months for his crystals (which he is on permanently) may also help with the mis-urination, suggests feliway plug ins, feliway sprays.... all kinds of stuff that just doesn't work. The vet thinks that although he does often get UTI's and crystals, that some of his mis-urniation is also just behavioral.
The vet has suggested maybe interacting with his urination. She mentioned how some train their cats to use the human toilet, and perhaps training him to use that but also leaving the litter boxes out will give him more of incentive of the "right" places to go and the "Wrong" places. We will see on that, I haven't started yet. Don't know if that's a great idea that will reward him to go in spots more suitable and give him treats/training and if he will may find that somehow interactive, or if he will just see it as another place to also go to the bathroom. I haven't decided yet.

So, I need some of the greatest, serious expert advice you've got on how you've successfully gotten your cats to stop urinating on particular things? Or just at least on your couches? please. :mrgreen:


Have you considered that the urinating might be a territorial thing and that cats in your neighborhood are the reason for his behaviour. You could try turning your garden in to fort knocks so no other cats can leave their calling card in his territory.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:46 pm 
Offline
Senior Bengal

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:55 am
Posts: 65
Location: London
I am going through something similar with my kitty Chilli. Fortunately the last tests showed that the cystitis has cleared up (at the moment we have no reason to think it is recurring), but unfortuantely we now know that the urinating in the wrong places is now a behavioural issue (presumably resulting form the cystitis).

So far I am trying:

1. Feiliway plug ins.
2. Waterproof covers for sofas (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Textil ... sofa+cover - available in the UK too)
3. Zykelene (for 2 weeks anyway).
4. Putting tin foil on the areas she is doing this on more frequently like the sofa and one of the DVD players (!!!).
5. Putting her in the litter tray (after removing the flap as I have covered trays) and comforting her and soothing her whilst she is in there. She makes it very clear when she has no need to wee but also clear when she does need to go. I then give her some treats once she is out of the box and praise her for being a "good girl".
6. Locking her out of the lounge, study and spare room so that she can't have accidents in there.
7. Using "Urine-off" when she does go (not that I think it is very effective).

As we only had the clear uring sample a week ago 3 and 5 are at very early stages and I cannot say that I have "cured" her yet but I am ever hopeful. There has been some success already with 5 as she has "performed" for me at times where I could tell she was about to go somewhere else instead i.e. she was crouched to go on the duvet and I moved her to the box in time.

Though, I would happily accept any advice on other things that I could do too!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by meemonkey