[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - ALWAYS hungry!!
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ALWAYS hungry!!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She wasn't sleeping too much. She sleeps during the day when I'm at work and plays at night and during the night. They're forever waking me up at 3/4am trying to play with my feet!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Changed daisy back to natures menu kitten

Recommended feeding 2-3 pouches, she's on 4 and still wants more??

She's now doing a poo about 5 to 6 times a day

Vets didn't want to put her through the stress of tests the last time, but things still don't feel right??

She's also gone very talkative/affectionate (this isn't quite her 'normal' self)

Would you still put this down to a kitten growth spurt?? She's now 7 months

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Stress of testing? ... I thought it was faecal testing to check for worms that she needed (no stress)?
She is clear for worms?

The appetite sounds great.... dont worry about her eating too much but, 6 poos a day is a bit odd... what are they like?
If they are perfect poos just small then her metabolism is really ramped up and she is perhaps burning energy faster and being hungrier more often...
Growth spurt is likely yes, and eating plenty is not a bad thing, I wish my girl would eat so readily.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:02 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

It's soft squishy and pale in colour looked quite mucusy when cleaning the litter tray tonight. Appetite has increased since the change in poos

Will see if she goes over night and take a sample to the vets in the morning to go for testing.

The vet made me treat her for worms but that's not done a thing :/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Put it like this I use oko plus at sometimes I can't tell the diff between wee and poo cause of how it's clumping

It's still very smelly, and a LOT of it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I use oko plus as well and i can most certainly tell the difference between poo and wee.... Poo is like sausage links and wee forms clumps....

Poo is obviously far too soft! My guess is parasites. You really need to get a poo specimen to the vets for testing. I would also get them to send it off for PCR testing of TF as well as it would be better to test for this before treating for all the other possibilities.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I dont recall if her food was an established one for her that she has had plenty of normal poos on in the past.

Her poos sound poorly =(
Darker is better ... pale is not right.... smelly too?

If you want vets to test samples for several things at once they need a few samples, taken across several days and kept in fridge untill you drop them off (at least 3 samples for TF tests)

I suggest you bring in another tray (identical make and colour is best) if you are struggling to rid worms (bacteria infection too)... and every single toilet trip needs to be dealt with on the spot... having two trays allows you to remove the one used most recently for thorough cleaning and having a 2nd fresh ready to go tray to place down right away.
Im not sure what is best system for filtering (or changing completely?) litter after each visit but you need to effectively remove all traces (clumping litter) of each trip until she tests clear to prevent re-infection.

about the tests, if it was me and I had to collect up poos and pay for lab costs ect (again) Id want to test for everything... then you'll know if it is just worms and one thing to fix.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If it was parasites, would it not also potentially effect Lilly?

She has had absolutely no change in her self in regards to food intake or poos

Just done some research, will get daisy tested for parasites if I can grab a stool sample before going to work. If that all comes back clear, I'm assuming there's a possibility of malabsorption.

"There are several symptoms that you can watch for that your cat has developed malabsorption. The first set of symptoms will all be based around your cats stools. When malabsorption is just beginning, your pet will start to have very soft or watery stools that will soon turn into diarrhea.

The stools will also start to turn greasy in substance and you can see at this stage, in most cases, undigested food in their stools. As this syndrome advances, your cat will also start to increase the frequency of their defecation and the volume of the stools will become larger. However, the most telling signs will be the evidence of undigested food as well as an extremely fowl smell; and as this condition grows, so will the odor.

The next set of symptoms will be a sudden weight loss that will be accompanied by either a voracious increase in appetite or a complete loss of appetite, depending on the actual underlying cause.

As the condition grows, your cat will also start to have abdominal discomfort and as well as developing both flatulence, which is gas, and borborygmus, which is a series of grumbling noises that will come from their gastrointestinal tract. "

The volume of stools is defiantly increasing, along with her appetite, I'm not sure she's putting on weight despite how much her appetite has increased by. She defiantly has gas and you can hear 'rumbling' coming from her. The smell is disgusting and stools are defiantly greasy looking. Almost like it has a film over it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I wouldn't say it's diahorrea, it's soft and greasy looking but not runny it at times, still had poo shape to it but much much softer than Lilly's.

Keeping them separated is IMPOSSIBLE! Even a trip to the vets and Lilly screams the house down. If I try and separate them at all they will do nothing but scream the house down and destroy/lift all the carpets and then daisy will pee all over the carpet. Believe me, it's been tried and all the carpet around the house is pretty much destroyed

Lilly and daisy are inseparable.

They may as well be conjoined twins!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I only mean separate for toileting.
Lilly needs a safe infection-free place to toilet... until you know daisy is bug free the shared tray is a risk for lilly.
Getting two cats free of parasites and preventing re-infection is 200% harder than for one cat.
Good luck and lovely pics =)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She had really bad diahorrea when I first got her which resolved in a few days after lots of tlc and treating her for dehydration

Since then she has been perfectly fine up until a few weeks ago when I noticed the change in colour. Which was whenever I posted on here

Do NOT think I don't take their health seriously. I've spent hundreds if not thousands on vet bills/transport etc on my two girls

Lilly alone has had over £5,000 go through her pet insurance.

My vets told me Lilly's problems where in her head that it was anxiety and wanted me to treat her with anti depressants!

I refused and pushed and pushed for them to realise that I was right.

Turns out not only did she have a slipped disc, she also had inflammation of the spinal fluid

So please don't try and patronise me by the health of my cats

I use this forum for advice, not to be made to feel like I'm a bad owner who doesn't care for the health of her cats

If I wasn't worried. I wouldn't be posting on here, I've become a seriously paranoid owner because of the problems with Lilly which still haven't been 100% resolved but even the top neurologist doesn't know what else to do. I've been thanked for the most complicated case of the year.

I am seriously thinking of never using these forums again! No one 'knows best' but there is no need for people to get on their high horses thinking they know it all and putting off new owners by making them feel useless/wrong/bad owners

No wonder the number of posts on the forums have dropped dramatically in the what, 6 or so months I've been using them?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next