[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Poo - smell and colour
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Poo - smell and colour
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Daisy's poo has always smelled REALLY awful, like I mean it lingers for hours and makes you wanna gag.

I've just noticed over the last few days its got a bit softer and has gone from being dark to a light tan colour and the smell has got stronger. She seems to be eating quite a bit also, activity levels are fine (currently her and Lilly are having the 'she's going to bed zoomies')

There haven't been any changes so no raised stress levels, her diet hasn't changed at all.

Any suggestions/advise from anyone??

Shall try and grab a sample from her before she buries it next time and take it to the vets for testing - think this is wise??

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

testing is always a good idea, but try grabbing 3 samples over a few days so you have the option of the TF test as well as standard one.
I keep a food diary for my girl - everything that goes in is logged inc time - and everything that comes out :secret: is described and logged too.
This helps me figure what has set my girls belly off as can happen from time to time.
From my logs all her healthy poops were dark and dry and formed... obvious.
But from my observations I found that the lighter in colour (from dark brown upto light yellow) her poops are the more unsettled my girls belly is and smellier her poops.
Ive even seen when she has passed a movement that was 3/4 dry formed dark and healthy sausage shape but followed by an unexpected wet yellow runny 1/4 at the end.
She basically had a healthy poo and unhealthy poo together in same visit to her tray.
I was able to check my diary to identify the food/treat (think it was applaws) that she had eaten after and on top of her usual meals and note that it gave her this reaction.

Get samples (x3) and see if she improves over the few days you are gathering samples... It might have been something she found and ate without you knowing?...
I recommend starting a food diary and keeping it religiously for many weeks. it can become a great tool for learning what Daisy can and cant tolerate.
Sometimes it could be a regular treat she doesnt normally react to, but given in slightly to much quantity. For eg. My girl can eat 1/2 tin of applaws (white fish) or 1/2 sachet of Felix (tasty, but junk food IMO so I give only as treat) with no problem... but everytime she has eaten a whole tin/sachet of applaws or felix she has had soft, smelly, light brown poops on her next tray visit.

Last edited by BengalDaddy on Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes, I would take a sample to the vet.

When I got my girl from the breeder her poo smelled worse than ANYTHING I have ever smelled. She had worms and Giardia. She was treated for worms and then the Giardia. She was much less stinky after the Giardia was taken care of.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well when I first got her home she had the most awful diahorrea, which cleared up with probiotics and she's been fine ever since up until a few days ago where the smell has got stronger and colour/consistency has changed but Lilly is absolutely fine, normal solid poo.

However, I have been a bit ill last few days may sound silly but could daisy have caught what I've got/I've got what she's got? Lol

Edit: it's been 4 months since I got her and she had that diahorrea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would guess she has found something and eaten it without you knowing. Could be anything from licking a dirty plate to catching a new bug of some kind.
She has eaten something lilly hasnt or she has an intolerance to something that lilly doesnt have.
Im assuming you can recall everything meal/treat you have given them both in the last few days?
(We cannot hope to guess at that really)

Testing is a first step if her belly stays bad while you are taking samples... if you are worried it might be a bug or worms then isolate Lilly from one of your trays and only let Daisy use that tray (dont let lilly even hop into daisy's tray) to help prevent lilly getting infected.

As for human ailments, if they are virus based like colds and flu then there is no chance of cross-species infection, human colds/flu are caused by viruses specific to us and our biology.

- When rare new animal viruses crop up that are a danger to humans we hear about it in the news and from the WHO.. its a big deal.. like that H5N1 -

What are you ill with ?
Im pretty sure most (not all?) bacteria infections humans can get are also specific to us and not a danger to animals.... the few illnesses that CAN be transferred from animal<>human are called ''zoonotic diseases'' and you can research what they are.

You will be seeing your vet soon? ... so you can raise this subject with him/her too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've had bloating/stomach cramps and an upset tummy!

Yes I can recall everything daisy has eaten. She doesn't eat any human food, nothing for her to accidentally eat, no change in her food and no additional treats. There has been NO change and her plates are washed and cleaned after every meal so it can't be a dirty plate. It really does confuse me!

I will monitor it and perhaps call my vet and speak to him before I drag her to see him as she HATES the vets and stress is not what she needs right now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:29 am 
Bengal Kitten

If health problems are rulled out and you know for certain your cat hasn't eatern anything it shouldn't have then I would suggest getting your cat weighed, feed in accordence to their weight for example my dog is 14KGshe should be on 400g's but because she is spayed and females are prone to weight gain she is fed 250-300G a day and is usually more like 200g I stools are never runny she has around that amount every day and they are never stinky, she is also raw fed you would think she would very stinky poos!!

As rule brands tend to recomend too mcuh as the recomended amount you feed your cat they don't get that small/mediam and large is a variety of weights.

It also maybe the food your giving your cat as I know many dog food brands are responsible for smellier/wetter stools because some contain a high level of cheap carb fillers.

Does your cat get a branded food? Home cooked diet or raw?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

She has been on kitten hi life for the last 3 months, no change on my end and she's always tolerated it. Up until a few days ago her poo was dark and solid not mushy and pale.

Think the vets love me, I always seem to be there (with Lilly) have managed to get an appointment after work, they shuffled things around so I could get an appointment :) something needs to be done as the smell is dreadful, Lilly's do not smell at all m

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:05 am 
Bengal Kitten

I have had a look at the nutrition content 50% meat is quite high, :>

How often is your kitten being fed??

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:12 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

She's fed twice a day as per usual, although her morning food she used to barely touch and I used to end up throwing half of it away. She's now eating it like I've starved her or something.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:45 am 
Bengal Kitten

According to the nutrion guide on the hi life brand a kitten of up to 3 months should be getting 5-6 small meals a day which they say a 1/4 to half a pouch per serving.

When the cat gets older it should be two meals 3-4 pouches spread across the two meals.

As you mentioned bloating which can be serious I would spread your cats meals out through the day so that she gets smaller portions and raise the bowl when she eats. No playing or activities after meal times as just like with dogs it can increase the chances of bloat.

Do not allow a cat to free range feed as its unhygenic because it allows food to go stale quicker, attracts flies in the summer. Food should all ways be fresh and taken away after 10 minutes to establish meal times.

Make sure bowls and feeding stations are cleaned at every use because many brands spray their products with animal fats to make them more appetising.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Increased appetite could be due to worms...
are you keeping them in seperate trays for now Sazza85?

Let us know how you got on at the vets :smile:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:40 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hello!

My kitten/cat also had extremely pungent poo and exactly the same colour as you explained. He is a sole indoor cat. I kept a sample and took him to the vet....he was diagonised with a parasite/bacteria but we also established that he is an active carrier of the Feline Corona Virus. The vet gave antibiotics which sorted the parasite/bacteria but every few weeks his poo would smell awful again and the colour/consistency would change for a day or two due to the corona virus...then back to normal.

I recommend that you get a fresh sample and take him to your vet ASAP.

Thinking of u and keep us up to date!