[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Cat Urine in carpets - a favourite topic! Please helllp!!
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi All,

I have tried so many different options and i just cannot get my carpets clean. NOTHING works. I've tried enzyme cleaners 'pet wee away' and also 'Simple Solution'. I've used a proper enzyme pet odour shampoo in the vax. Vinegar solutions. Lemon Solution. Bicarb Soda. All of the above combined. And nothing works. The house stinks. I really am at my whits end now. And what makes it worse???? Our LANDLORD is coming to check out a problem in our house today. In the whole 3 years we have been here we have never had direct contact from the landlord (or landlady) as they refuse and insist EVERYTHING goes through the agency. I have tried to mask it for now with shake and vac everywhere and fabreze on the specific areas but i am terrified. I can constantly smell the cat pee.

I was goin to buy Natures Miracle but have read so many mixed reviews and have just found on the website that you shouldn't use it if you have used other cleaners as it may set the odour into the carpet. Well of course i have used all the other stuff to try and clean it up. I have no idea what to do now and am really starting to resent my cat (who, by the way, i love to death!!!!) but i just feel so angry at him for constantly using the carpets as a toilet even though he toilets outside and spends 95% of his time outside at the moment.

Eurgh..... Sorrry giys :-( rant over. Think i just needed to vent. Any miracle cures i'd love to hear about.

Jamie xxx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:23 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

WATER
VINEGAR
PROXIDE
BAKING SO DAILY

50/50% water & Vinegar / SATURATE URINE. AREA WITH THIS
SPRI KLE ONTOP THE BAKING SODA
Now spray the proxide on top n watch it foam n bubble up
Let sit til it dries n vaccum it up

Su can add pure LEMON JUICE AFTER U HAVE VACCUMED IT ALL UP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:28 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks - will this work on really old patches do you know? Also i have never bought peroxide before is it literally just a bottle of peroxide? And where can i get it? (I'm in the UK).

I have both baking powder and bicarbonate soda - which one should i use?

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just be aware that peroxide is a bleach!

....new carpet?

Heather

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:09 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Of course it is Heather - DUH i wasn't thinking about that for a minute!! I think that was just the sheer desperation. Not new but cream so i think i'll give that one a miss. Thank you for that hun - that could have been disastorous!

Deary me :-(

Will Simba ever stop peeing on the carpets? I really can't let it keep happening. It's such a depressing issue isn't it. I think the worst of it all is i know he isn't happy anymore but i just can't fix it! Xx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you spoken to any professional carpet cleaning people?

Just an idea as they might know the best ways.

Heather

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If it is in the carpets it will also have soaked through into the floor boards or the plywood whatever the floor is made of.
If you have managed to persuade your landlord to let you stay, then it may be worth having a look under the carpet and treating the stuff underneath. As no matter how scent free the carpet is, the house will still smell if the underlay and wood underneath is saturated with cat pee.

I would in your situation keep him in one room, even just the hallway or utility room, if that is how he enters the house and keep the rest of your house Simba free. He is an outdoor cat in the main so it is not cruel to restrict his access to one room when he is indoors. Make a nice bed for him in there and only let him through the rest of the house when you can supervise him closely.
Personally I would laminate his "one room" floor with bathroom quality laminate, which is waterproof and easy to clean, even if he pees. Vinyl may work but you will need to make sure the edges are well sealed otherwise it will again leak down to the wooden flooring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm sure the odor will hit your landlord like a ton of bricks when he/she walks through the door. We tend to get used to the smells in our homes and they are never quite offensive to us as when someone who has not been in the home before comes in. So whatever you've tried to do to mask the odor, the landlord is going to smell the urine. This is why so many require a non-refundable pet deposit.

I was in your shoes many years ago when our diabetic kitty developed renal failure an was nearing the end of her life. We had several litterboxes, but she would just squat when she had to go -- anywhere in the house. We had carpet and could not get the smell out. After she passed away, we pulled up the carpet and saw how badly the subfloor was stained with the urine, so we put a stainblocker primer on the stains (multiple coats) and installed hardwood floors. If the urine has soaked into the subfloor wood, there is no cure for the odor. It will continue to come up through the carpeting.

The bigger problem is the kitty who is not using the litterbox. It's my biggest fear with my current kitty, who has always used the litterbox. When something gets into their brain and they decide to go somewhere else in the house -- the game is on and it's a tough one for the "parent" to win. You'll need to rule out any medical issues first and then try to modify the cat's behavior -- or environment. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you for the suggestions Elaine much appreciated. He is only allowed in one room already. And i can't change the flooring as it isn't my house.

I know what you mean Sherry i have beentreating under the carpet too. The landlord didn't seem to notice anything. My friend swears she cannot smell it when she comes in. She promised she would say if she did. She says it's probably because i know it's there And am looking for it. When i told her where on the carpet it was she says she can only smell it very faintly. I think i will just keep treating it for now. Yeah that's my fear too i can't stop it coz he is doing it because he doesn't get on with my other cat anymore. It's all so sad :-( makes me upset thinking about it all, it feels like such a mess!

Thanks very much for all the advice everyone i really appreciate it.

Jamie xx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh also Sherry i have already ruled out medical. Taa :-)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:55 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When Jasper was spraying( right after we got him) I could smell it EVERYWHERE even tho he was only in one room! I treated everything with urine off and natures miracle and I could still smell it! It was horrible! BUT..... My family, which btw hates that I have cats, could not smell it! They would be the first to let me know! I asked everyone that came in and no one could! Even my husband that knew of the problem couldn't smell it! I think sometimes (especially when you are the one cleaning) the smells get "imprinted" into our heads and then its everywhere! Just keep treatin the area and limit his access to the house! How are they getting along has there been any improvements?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh it horrible isn't it. My hubby is the same. He says he can't smell it unless he presses his nose in the carpet but i swear i can. My mom is brutally honest with me and she said she smelt it very very lightly when she came in the room but that's probably because i told her to sniff for it. But i swear i can smell it! Everywhere! Not good still :-( they aren't like at eachothers throats every second but it's not good. They are out most the day but then when they come in Simba just immediately lashes at Nala and it's definitely not playing either. Nala is scared of him now and will avoid walking near him. Which absolutely breaks my heart because they practically grew up together (from age 5 months) and are just over two now so are now mature i believe aren't they. Xx

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Have you tried cleaning the carpet with a carpet cleaner and a pet cleaning solution? That may help some.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi.
We have lot of carpet experience here. Unfortunately i have not succeeded in totally removing settled pee . People say soda etc , i tried all of it , stain is gone but light arome stays . Eventually after 6 months or so of constant hoovering and washing carpets it fades away.
One time i had success when i removed fresh pee. I used very powerfull carpet wash machine to suck pee all out first , then soaking with Ariel washing liquid , then rinsing with machine. It has gone completely like never happened . But thats because pee has not settled to the base of the carpet as yet . My personal opinion is that once its settled the only solution is to replace carpets.
Also be carefull when soaking carpets with whatever you use. depending on the carpet and underlay (Unless its very good quality carpet) but most likely carpet will have whats called glued base which can dissolve with the right amount of moisture, underlay become damp can lead to stain patches from underlay , or even hole in that place.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Bri - i have yeah and no luck :-( thanks for the suggestion though.

Hi Laurel i think you are right i was just hoping for a magical solution! Thanks for the tip about wetting too much i never thought of that - much appreciated.