It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:57 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi there, thinking of of buying a 8 month old bengal boy and the previous owners have never let it outside. I was wandering as it is still young if it could be slowly introduced outside in my garden (maybe with a lead). Any advise or tips would be great. Thanks in advance. Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:20 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi both my cats are mostly indoor cats.

The female has always been quiet and timid in her nature and is not that bothered by the outside world. She is happy to occasionally leave her castle and munch grass from the flower pot outside before rushing back in ... always been like that simple!

My boy thought another case entirely.

After I had him castrated, he REALLY wanted to go out. Initially I put a harness on him and went out just for a few mins at a time every day letting him decide how far he wanted to venture. But I trained him to walk on the harness indoors first (cat treats!).

He outgrew the harness and I took a huge leap of faith and decided to trust him that was when the fun started not having a cat flap!

At first he would rush back indoors after a few minutes but he gained confidence and just as I would get my female cat indoors he would get out. Then when I got him she would get out (they do like to keep me on my toes)!!

When he was 10 months I put a microchip cat flap in the door and keep it on 'in' only because where we live there is a lot of traffic and it is not safe for them to be to out doorsy cats.

Now he will sit by the front door calling me to open it, he goes out and usually rushes back in after 3-5 mins. Sometimes I see him sitting on the mat by the cat flap ready to go through it at a seconds notice so he is still building confidence.

The benefit of catflap on 'in' only is that I don't have to worry about the cats getting out if I am going out and don't have the time to wait for them to go back indoors.

Last few weeks he has begun to develop a friendship with a male cat next door and will stay out a bit longer and play with him now.

I think it all depends on where you live, but start slow.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:03 am 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you for your helpful response!
I certainly wasn't going to rush into anything. I think I'll get him used his new family and house for a couple of months until he feels secure. I do live in a city but about 100 yards from a road with many houses and back gardens between us. I also had a dream last night that I converted our 20 ft square back garden into an outdoor run which I dont think is too unfeasible looking at it this morning.........
Anyways, thanks again for your help.
Matt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think all animals deserve to breathe some fresh air. I know the majority of cats are indoor/outdoor kitties, but after having mine vanish overnight a few months ago and finding a stray I was feeding on the side of the road one morning deceased, and after the Bengal that was visiting my house got into a horrific cat fight and was bleeding from the eyes and had deep puncture wounds on his leg, I decided the Bengal was going to have to stay indoors. He was not happy, so we built a huge enclosure for him, which he enjoys. We also take walks with a harness and leash. He is not 100% happy, but at least I know the cat he fought with all the time cannot get to him any longer. There are just a lot of things that can happen to a kitty who is outside unsupervised. I've known cats who spent most of their time outdoors and lived to be 15 years old. That's rare. I'm not taking any more chances.

It's a personal decision, but there is nothing more heart wrenching when your kitty doesn't return home and you have no idea where they are or what may have happened to them. For peace of mind, I'd rather they be on the other end of a 10' leash or in a protective enclosure they cannot escape from, yet still enjoy the fresh air and watch the birds.