It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions about walking
PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:52 am 
Bengal Kitten

:razz:

What is the proper age to start walking my bengal? Cheeto is 4.5 months old? can i start now?

Also how long should i walk him? i dont want him to go into cardiac arrest?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Really i think the younger they are the better as it gives them more time to get used to the harness. As long as you can get a harness that fits your kitten correctly and he is secure, then you can start teaching him. Just bare in mind that if you buy a harness for your kitten at quite a young age, you may need to buy another once he has become fully grown - though personally i bought a harness when Diego was about the same age as Cheeto and at just over a year old it still fits him now with more space to grow.

Just try to make it a really positive experience like giving lots of treats and playing with his favourite toys when you first introduce the harness so that he associates it with positive things.

In terms of how long to walk him, i'd imagine he would give you the impression he wanted to go home, long before he was in any danger of becoming exhausted. I know there are quite a few people with bengals on here who go hiking and camping with their cat so hopefully they will be able to advise if they keep to a limit. Diego only really likes to be out for a maximum of about 15-20 minutes so it's not something i've ever had to decide for him...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:26 pm 
Senior Bengal

I agree that the earlier you start them the better. I started taking my kitten out into the yard when she was around 14 weeks old. That way she got used to being outside with all of the different sounds, smells and textures, while still being in a secure environment. When she didn't bat an eyelid at the traffic or the dogs barking down the street anymore I started taking her for walks. She does still mostly ride in my son's stroller during walks, but when she feels confident and curious enough she jumps out and walks on her own :biggrin:
She did have some trouble getting used to the harness, but she is much better with it now, she really only notices it when she decides to have a good roll in the sun :rolleyes:

I just bought her a figure 8 harness for now, when she gets a bit older I will be investing in a walking jacket for her. I didn't want her to outgrow a walking jacket right away, even though I know they make kitten specific ones. Seeing as she is only outside when I am there to supervise, a figure 8 harness is secure enough for now.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:45 am 
Bengal Kitten

i'm scared because i live in NYC lots of dogs people and cars... I'm scared a dog will pounce on Cheeto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:46 am 
Bengal Kitten

has anyone encountered an issues with dogs?