[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Another Cat A Good Solution?
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:22 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

This is a pretty commonly asked question but I thought i'd still ask considering my unique circumstances.

I've had Django for about 4 months now. He is 7 months old. He has been pretty good apart from his meowing issue (due to me giving in to his every whim, which is now getting better - tough love!) I try to play with him as much as I can although he is never really interested in man-made toys. I cat proofed the backyard and we play out there which he enjoys more and we still go for walks.

I don't know whether i'm over paranoid (which I usually am) but I feel like he's bored and I still feel like he'd be happier with a little friend of his own. Even with the play I give him I still feel like he is bored. Would another kitten be a good or bad idea? I guess it's hard to tell. I probably wouldn't be able to afford another Bengal but would a Burmese (or other purebred cat) work? And is male or female better? (he is a desexed male).

As much as I'd personally love another cat - I more want to do what is best for him.

Lately he has been meowing in the middle of the night (he doesn't sleep in my room because of my partner) at first I ignored it but he will just stop and start and stop and start. I thought he was just being a bored brat but when I got up and laid in the spare bed he purred straight away, hopped right up onto of me, curled up and went straight to sleep. So all he really wants is some company. Poor baby :(

Maybe he's just really attached to me and doesn't need a friend..or maybe a friend will help?

I plan on getting a dog at the end of the year but I dont think cats really get on with dogs like they do with cats?

Anyway just some advice or experience would be nice... :) thanks

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think that you will find that a puppy would be good company for him! BB plays and sleeps more with our dog than she does Jasper! I also think that you could get another cat as well! Cats don't have to have another cat but I have seen a different side of BB since having Jasper! You could get a different breed or you could go to a rescue and find a kitten with the energy level of Django! I am not sure what other breeds get on with bengals other than tonks(because of Lollo) and abys, but I think they are just as expensive as Bengals!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I love Tonks & Abys too! Always been a Burmese fan. I would love to rescue a kitty but I just love my "breeds"!!

I ideally want to have 2 cats and 2 dogs! Maybe I will just see how he goes until we get the puppy. I heard though that it's best to have cats BEFORE getting a dog because introducing kittens they can get snappy. I will be getting a German Pinscher which is apparently more notorious for this behaviour...

I'm obviously new to animals so I have a lot to learn haha. I plan on having a few of them :P

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:14 am 
Bengal Cat

I have a gorgeous young Bengal kitten who I have had for almost 2 weeks. If there is something I have noticed when it comes to playing it is that she loves chasing string. She doesn't mind chasing the occasional toy mouse or whatever but if I throw a toy for her to chase she just looks at me *what.. I'm supposed to chase that thing? Where is the fun in that, it doesn't move*. I think she is far more intelligent than any other cat I have ever owned in that she wants to play with me. She very clearly understands I'm the one controlling the toy and she loses interest if I'm playing lazily. She craves a challenge, simply dangling the string in front her leaves me with her staring at me again. I really have to get creative and make her think for her to really get into it... Where is the string going, how often does it change speed/direction.. Where will it appear next..

At first I thought she didn't like toys either but it's not that, it's that she wants to win the challenge or solve a problem.. If I hide something and she finds it she is ecstatic and prances around all smug. I didn't really believe it myself until I started trying to engage her with more intelligent play and she's much happier for it. Another kitten may mean you don't have to go to as much effort to entertain your Kitty but I don't think it is necessary for his enjoyment. It may just be that he's a very intelligent cat and wants to be more stimulated mentally not just physically.

Edit: further to this I just remembered... I had a small laser pen that I tried once, she went absolutely bats#$% over it for a whole 2 minutes before she realised 1. She can't ever catch it and 2. The movement of the laser correlated with the movement of my hand.. then it was over, instead she was trying to get pen from my hand instead -_-...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't think I could handle two cats. My kitty has a slew of interactive toys he can play with if he gets bored during the day. I have found that he sleeps most of the day away anyway. I have "thought" about getting a second cat, but it's so difficult to know whether they will get along or just attack each other. I think Raiden will be an only child.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:00 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I don't think I could handle two cats. My kitty has a slew of interactive toys he can play with if he gets bored during the day. I have found that he sleeps most of the day away anyway. I have "thought" about getting a second cat, but it's so difficult to know whether they will get along or just attack each other. I think Raiden will be an only child.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've just recently been making this decision and have decided that i will be getting a second cat.

The focus point of my decision really was trying to assess, as best as i possibly could at least, how Diego would react to another cat. So do you think Django would take well to another cat? Has he ever had contact with other cats or even other animals that would give you a clue as to how he would react? Does he appear agressive if he sees other cats outside?

These should be questions to consider if you are thinking of adding another cat. Of course cats are unpredictable and how he interacts with one could be the complete opposite with another....but i think all you can do is judge his personality as best as you can to help make the decision, because until you try in this instance, you wont really know.

I judged by the fact that a) Diego is as soft as a teddy bear in his nature, b) he has had a puppy in the house for visits and he wasn't agressive or timid, just very curious c) when he met my parent's cat, again he wasn't aggressive or overly scared, just quite happy to wander around together.

I think it would be quite useful if you could consider points such as this while considering whether to get him a playmate. And be honest with yourself about it, if you feel in your heart that actually he is a really balshy cat who likes to rule the roost, another cat in the house might just be bullied...

Good luck in your decision, i know it's a difficult one! I've got my fingers crossed that i've made the right choice but who knows until a new baby comes to our house!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well I have decided to get him a girlfriend! I think he is still young and will be accepting of a new play mate which will be beneficial for him in the long run.

What concerted my decision was stumbling across a beautiful little rosetted lynx snow girl with purple eyes.. stunning. I think they will get on well.

DJango has met my friends dog and he wasn't agresstive just a bit fluffy and very curious. I do believe it will go fine.. I can only try! Lucky the breeder is close to home if any problems should arise :)

I'll head on over to the introductions page soon :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Aww that's lovely, im glad you have made your decision now and your new addition sounds like an absolute beauty. I hope all goes well for you, definitely helpful that the breeder is close by if you are in need of any help as well!

How old is the kitten at the moment? Is it long before you will be bringing her home?

I've been reading about the introduction techniques at the moment, there are loads of them that i expect will be helpful for you to read as well :)

I look forward to seeing her on the intros page, will be at the ready for new baby pictures!!