[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Climbing my leg and making me bleed!!
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:50 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hiya,

I wonder if anyone can offer me some advice??

2 weeks ago I brought home 2 darling Bengal kittens called Bane and Maisy. They are brother and sister and 14 weeks old. Mostly they are really good, they get on well grooming each other, cuddling and play fighting and they are really confident little cats but so far I've had some real issues at feeding time...

Mostly Bane but also sometimes Maisy too feel the need to climb my leg when I'm at the sink or kitchen work top. As cute as this sounds they really hurt and often puncture and scratch my skin. Obviously they are still small so this problem is only going to get worse as they get older, my legs are in tatters after 2 weeks.

So far I have tried using the command "DOWN!!" In a loud voice, I literally pluck them off me and stand there with my hand out repeating the command but just as this seems to work they will back off and Bane will attack me from behind. He digs his claws in the back of my thighs and hangs there until I pluck him off again!! So clearly this method isn't working.

Because Bane a persistent offender I've also tried something I read in a Bengal owners guide book which is holding his front legs and looking him in the face and telling him NO whilst looking him in the eye, and then ignoring him for a few minutes. I've tried this about 3 times and it seems to work for about 30 seconds but that's about it... he waits for me to let me guard down and then "Meow!!" he's back on me again!

Last night I resorted to Locking them in the front room until Id prepared dinner and finished eating but this was only after he'd made my leg bleed quite badly. This is an obvious solution but tbh I don't want to have to lock them out every time I am cooking in there. We have a large kitchen diner and We have both their food and water bowls in there as well as their litter box and my partner and I spend most of our time in there. Id like to find a way of disciplining/training them not to do this.

I read somewhere that water pistols can be a good way of training them out of bad habits and I've ordered some on eBay but I don't want to start using them if I don't know what I'm doing properly.

Please can somebody give me some advice on what the best way to train these bad habits out of my little monsters would be or perhaps recommend a good behaviour book that I can read... There are other little things that I would like to achieve too... Such as stopping them from jumping on the kitchen table and plucking the leaves off all our plants but realistically these problems pail into insignificance compared to my shredded leg problem lol!

Thanks a lot for reading!!

I hope somebody can help me

Lucinda, Bane & Maisy :eek: :twisted: :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:22 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Lucinda,

Ok first off can you clip their claws - only so the tips are taken off but this will help the fact they cannot hang on aswell and that they won't scratch you as badly.

I unfortunately would suggest exactly what you don't want to happen - I wouldn't allow them in the kitchen whilst a. you are preparing their food & b. you are cooking your own food. I just find Kittens and cats are very curious and the last thing you want is them hurting themselves on any hot hobs or saucepan's etc.

I really wouldn't recommend a water pistol - they might find it a game and do it more! Positive reinforcement often works better - ie praising for the good behaviour - not reacting to the bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

ah yes - I think most of us have experienced this. Unfortunately what you have mentioned that you've done - the locking them out of them room, taking them off your legs and telling them 'no' firmly with a hand gesture is about the best you can do.
Mine did stop eventually - you have to have the patience of a saint but you'll get there - they will eventually change to jumping onto the worktops - its no better but at least you dont get hurt.

Try filing their claws a little aswell. I used to have a naughty mat. If they climbed my legs they got carried to the end of the hall, put on the mat and told to stay. They never did stay but it made the process of getting their dinner really long so they soon worked out that if they behaved they got the food a lot quicker.

As the get older they will calm down - i promise.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes you are just a means to an end. Once they can jump it will be one leap onto the work top. Of course they may as big cats, may not do the agonising climb up the legs, but they still might see you as a cat tree every now and again.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:13 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I definitely recommend clipping at least the tips of their nails. It's a good idea to get them used to it at this age.
I full on clip my boys' nails just shy of the Red Zone every week. I have the marks on my legs to remind me if I miss a few days.
You'll want to stop this now. Just last week, I had a 16.5 pound Bengal hanging off my leg while I was trying to get veggies out of a cast-iron skillet. I was surprised because Max hadn't done this in months.

Someone will inevitably scold/argue with/shame me for using a water bottle, but that's been the most effective with my ever-stubborn Maxwell. The ONLY thing that got him down at first was a quick spritz (on "stream" setting) to the hindquarters paired with a "NO". Now the "NO" works most of the time with the climbing thing because he knows it's wrong and he doesn't intentionally attack us unless he's in a mood. Usually, it's to get my attention. Ignoring makes it worse with my animal. I do lock him in the cat room at times, but it doesn't seem to phase him one bit (unless it's out of the room I am in, not into another one). I keep the bottle next to me in the kitchen and in the office... where he likes to climb guitars and the amp and my husband's desk.

I guess I should mention Max is a little "special" as he was raised by an F1 in the breeder's bedroom after his mother died shortly after his birth. HIs father is insanely smart and has let himself out of every enclosure or carrier he's ever been in. Directly into the arms of the judges of several shows, too. I share this to make sure that newer owners understand that there may be a lot of trial and error with these cats. Our other one will freak out and try to make up for all of the wrongs of the world if you "NO" him. He requires no water bottle... ever. I find that a quick blow in Max's face will also work if he is close enough... like blowing out birthday candles, not hitting.

What works for one cat may not for the other. Good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i was teaching mine 'off the table' command with treats. Of course they jump everywhere they want but when i ask them off the table , they immediatly come off it for treats and stay on the floor. It took me about 2-3 months to teach them , but i am full time employed with long hours out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:14 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Some really helpful and reassuring advice there, thank u all! I am off to pets at home this evening to buy some clippers and I'm sure this will definitely take the edge off the problem so to speak! I'm sure ill be reposting with more questions some time soon, really appreciate your expert opinions :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh yeah... try not to wear yoga pants or pyjama bottoms while cooking....
They come right down without a drawstring, ha ha.
Found that one out the hard way.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat