[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Bengal & New Puppy - Advice
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I am going to get a puppy that probably wont be ready until the end of this year which gives me plenty of time to plan and learn. Training and looking after a dog will be new to me but i'm happy to put in 100%.

I wanted to get some advice on how other people have dealt with introducing a puppy to their Bengal. Django will be about 1 when the puppy arrives. It will be a German Pinscher which is smaller than a doberman but bigger than a mini pin. He will be and inside/outside dog.

Do your cats get along with your dogs and do they want to go outside more if the dog is outside. Django is an inside cat but I take him outside for supervised outings.

Any info on dogs & cats would be great :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

He's better now. I play with him lots and he seems to be learning meowing isn't getting him anything. We go out in the yard after work and he enjoys it. Doesn't meow when we come back in.

Yes barking does worry me haha but everyone has dogs surely I can train a well behaved one!!

Django will have his big tall cat tree to get away from the puppy. I will take time off work and supervise then the dog will stay outside while im at work.. well I guess that's how it will work! Dogs are new to me but im always interested in animal behaviour and learning new things.

Django will always be my baby hehe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

BB and our dog Max are the best of friends! He follows her everywhere and she follows him around a lot of the time! I would have one word of caution about Pinschers! I used to breed Dobermans and I had two Miniature Pinschers as well, when they are pups they are very snappy dogs! They will snip almost anything that moves and that takes quite a bit of discipline to break, so you will have your work cut out for you! They are also EXTREMELY intelligent dogs so training, if done correctly and early shouldn't be very difficult! It is crucial that the breeder starts their training before they even leave them! My pups left me at 10-12 weeks and they were taught to sit and stay as well as walk on a lead before leaving me. They were also started on commands that were a little more difficult. It was important to me as a breeder of a large dog that did not have the best reputation that my pups were not going to be aggressive! The sir and dam play a crucial roll with how a puppy will act, if one of the parents are nippy or aggressive, chances are the pups will be as well if not corrected. Planning to purchase a dog is a lot like researching for a Bengal! While their might not be lads of breeders out there for your puppy like there is with Bengals, there are TONS of people(not breeders) that breed their pets for the fun of it! Research where you pup is coming from and the lines it comes from as well! Also on a side note, I am not sure how it is where you live, but when I had my Dobies I had to pay $900 a year more for home owners insurance that what I paid without them! Something to look into if you own a home!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I believe a German Pinscher is similar but different to the Doberman... hopefully it wont be nippy. I'll take some time off work when I get him/her (do you think it matters on the sex)? Hopefully one or 2 weeks is long enough for it to settle in. Time with Django will be supervised of coarse until I am confident they get along. What is a good way to tell they are not going to hurt each other? haha.

The breeder I am going through says she has cats and the dogs get along fine. I told her about my bengal. I will be taking the puppy to puppy school and doing my own training at home as well obviously. From what I can tell it looks like they are bred for a fantastic temprement... check them out if you're interested http://www.masterkarn.com.au/

I will ask a thousand questions and do so much research before I get him/her anyway!

There's literally like 4 breeders in Aus and 2 got back to me... they all aren't having litters until the end of the year anyway :(

I don't know about home insurance.. I am currently renting but will be buying shortly after we get the pup.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

After reading up on the breed ( I am just as big of a dog lover as I am cats) they are not close to a Doberman or min pin, but more similar to a schnauzer! They are a very vocal breed and they were breed to hunt so it will have a strong prey drive! IMO that's not the best qualities to have when you are looking to have a cat and dog coexist! With that being said, I am a firm believer that anything is possible with the right amount of training and most importantly consistency! I would go ahead and start reading training books so you will have a good game plan before you bring him/her home! With the sex, it depends in what you are looking for in a dog! From my experience females are generally easier to house train and tend to be a little calmer than males! On the other hand if you are wanting a guard dog I would go with a male! Males are generally more territorial and will defend their home and owners( possibly kitty too) males are also "usually" more motivated to please than females! While considering everything, if I were getting another dog I would want a female! If you plan to settle down and start a family within the coming years I would also think about a female because they are generally better with kids! All of this of course is based on what I have experienced with breeding Dobermans and being raised with German sheperds all of my life! I would strongly advise you to have the breeder pick the pup for you based on evaluation if the pups prey drive! That will be the most important thing!!! Sorry to ramble :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thank you - no not rambling I am lapping up all any info at the moment! I have a good while to plan and learn so hopefully it works out well with all the information I would have gained by then!! I think Django will definitely let the pup know who is boss so I think that might work out! He's got some spark that cat haha he's pretty brave!

I am speaking to a fellow Aussie who has a GP and she's giving me lots of info which is good and I found a GP forum as well! The breeder seems to be open and is happy to answer any questions. They asked a lot of questions in the application to get on the waiting list and know I have a cat and seem to be very concerned with matching the right puppy to the right home.

Definitely going to read up on training as much as I can!

My partner wants a male, where as i'm not fussed. We will be having kids in the next 5 years so that is something to consider. I have told the breeder that we are happy with either sex so we will see what fate gives us!

Cane toads is something I worry about up here though... eek. Hate the bloody things :S

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Oh geez! Cane toads!!! I have heard they are horrible and dangerous! It sounds like the breeder you are going through do what they can to match the puppy with the best home! That is a good thing! Especially with dogs most people "breeders" don't bother with any of that ! They just throw a dog into a home and never give it another thought! I think you are on the right track with seeking the breeders opinion on what pup would be best, instead of going for one sex or color! The only thing I would worry about (being a mom) is a dog with food aggression! I know Dobermans and min pins both have a tendency to be food aggressive, especially males! That would be one thing to work on with your puppy! Make sure from day one you pet the puppy when he/she is eating and sometimes move the food bowl, put your hand near the pup! I would assume the breeder will already be doing this so the puppy would be used to it! That is my only fear with dogs and little kids! Only because I have seen a two year old try to take a food bowl away from a shepherd mix and it did not end well!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes good idea will definitely do that with the food!!

Yea cane toads are disgusting and poisonous so when the sun goes down pets have to come inside!! :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:50 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Yes good idea will definitely do that with the food!!

Yea cane toads are disgusting and poisonous so when the sun goes down pets have to come inside!! :(