[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Can Bengals be Declawed?
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Can Bengals be Declawed?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:48 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi all, I'm new here :)

I just got a bengal kitten a few weeks ago and we're doing great, aside from his craziness :) I read recently that bengals should NOT be declawed, as this increases their biting and defensiveness, and possibly having potty accidents. My parents unknowingly had a bengal before, and they had to give her up after 5 years because she randomly started potty-ing on their bed (she had all 4 paws declawed). I have him scheduled for front declawing and am now rethinking this. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Also, is it normal for him to play for 5 hours straight and still not be tired? I work 8-5 so it's hard for me play with him the entire time I'm home. I can't get another kitty to keep him company. Advice?

Also, I have been having issues with him scratching and biting. Although right now it's light because he's so small, I'm afraid it's just going to get worse as he grows. I sternly say "no" when he does it but it's been 3 weeks and he doesn't seem to be learning. Help?

Thanks for all the help!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:06 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

DO NOT DECLAW YOUR CAT!! NEVER DECLAW YOUR CAT!!

yes, cats do scratch and bite and like to play - and thats the reason we love them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:13 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Do not get your cat declawed, it is very cruel to the cat, and is illegal in the UK as it is considered animal abuse.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Never declaw!

Instead play with your cat. My cat knows exactly what damage his claws can do and now NEVER claws anyone ever. No claws jumping on your shoulder or down.

I never clip nails either and they make glue on covers but you could do that too.

Many declawed cats need rehomeing or end up in shelters because of behavior.

You are truly an awful person if you go through with it after asking here. Not one person will support declawing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just in case you are in any doubt about what declawing entails, it is an amputation.

Imagine if someone amputated all your fingers at the first joint how difficult it would be to do even the simplest thing.

If you love your cat you would never even contemplate having this barbaric operation done, and if you can't live with the scratches then you should rehome it.

I assume you are in America which I think is the only country in which declawing is legal?

PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT MUTILATE YOUR CAT.

Bengals are energetic intelligent cats and as such deserve to have the best treatment possible.

Why did you get a Bengal in the first place? Your parents had one, was it not "crazy"? Did you not do any other research into the breed before getting yours? It is not your cats fault if it is bored or energetic when you have been out all day, you need to entertain it and teach it what is acceptable or not with scratching and biting. Never play using your hands or feet always use a toy, DaBird is good.

There are a lot of helpful and knowlegable people on this forum who only want the best for Bengals, please ask lots of questions and most "problems" have a solution which is best for the cats and their slaves!

Heather

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Need I say more...Picture three (1).JPGPicture five.JPGrecently-declawed-in-louisiana.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Declawing is inhumane - I hope that you are a troll and doing this to wind us up.

Please please do not condone this. Imagine having your fingers and toes cut off - that is what you are doing. A cat will learn very quickly through play and attention what is correct and what is not.
If a pet cat is clawing you - you are generally doing something horribly wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:12 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would assume you cat is a kitten and still young being that you have had it for only a few weeks. Please remember that it takes time for a kitten to learn not to use its claws! I have four kids and two Bengals(THAT HAVE CLAWS) and no one has ever been injured from a nail! I also have a leather sofa that is still in good condition! The cats have not touched our furniture! All of this is because they were taught not to! Provide plenty of scratching surfaces like cat trees, cardboard scratchers, vertical and horizontal! If you have these things your cat will have no desire to scratch anything other than what is provided! If you are having problems with you kitten scratching, get what are called Soft Paws. It is a cap that is glued over the cats claw and prevents them from tearing any furniture or your skin. In my opinion this should only be used as a temporary measure until the kitten is trained! Keep in mind that declawing might be convenient for the human involved, but it is nothing short of pain and torture for the cat! I worked at a vet for a while and had to witness what happens when a cat is declawed! It is horrible!!!!!!!!!! They take nail clippers, like used for a dog, slide the entire toe into the clipper and then cut at the knuckle and super glue it together! Another thing to keep in mind, a cat is not under anesthesia while this is performed! They are under sedation ,yes, but are still conscious! It is heart breaking! I am going to look at this as someone that does not have the knowledge of what declawing actually does to a cat and the owners future with their pet! I hope and pray that you do not go through with this! If you are having any problems training your kitten PLEASE come back here! I can almost guarantee that someone can help you!!!! After reading this and seeing the pictures that junglerose posted, if you are still considering declawing a cat, not just Bengal, please return it to your breeder or find a home for it! There is no reason that a cat should ever be declawed and I WISH more than anything it was illegal here in the US! I am actually floored that your breeder didn't have you sign a contract that you would not declaw! Most breeders that I know of do!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:46 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Thank you everyone for the input - I am going to try the Soft Paws. I did not know they made such a product, and I certainly did not know declawing is amputation or I never would have even considered it!

Glad I joined this forum, and thank you much for the info!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That is great news!!! One kitties toes saved and the forum does a good job again!!! Most people, especially here in the states don't give it a second thought about what really happens when cats are declawed! I was guilty of such before I worked at a vet! When I saw what really happened it BROKE my heart!

On a lighter subject you should introduce yourself and your kitty! We all love to see pics of new kittens/cats! Welcome to the forum and please stick around there is so much info and knowledge on this forum!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:39 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Yes, I just ordered the Soft Paws, can't wait to get them :)

I am trying to upload a picture of Benvolio but can't seem to get my file size below 7kb...any advice?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:30 pm 
Bengal Cat

Welcome to the forum. Since everyone else has addressed the declawing issue (in which I totally agree should NEVER be done), I will address the play biting and scratching.

Even as a kitten you should not "play" with him using your hands, it is only natural for him to bite and grab at this age so instead use toys or small stuffed animals to interact and play with him, but not your hands. If he accidentally nips or scratches you can make a loud shriek and it will "startle" him just enough to know that he went too far in his play as this is what a littermate or another cat would do if he played too rough with them (this is how they learn their boundaries).

Good luck and just love and enjoy him.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 8:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat