[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 131: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/prime_links.php on line 132: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Have you seen twitching like this? Also how to travel?
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

As some of you know, I noticed Lilly twitching not that long after I got her, but trying to catch her doing it was kinda hard. As time has progressed, it has got much worse, to the point that when she's awake it's almost continuous. She's had numerous tests done to the best of my vets ability with no indications as to what it is. It has now got to the point where my vet has referred me to a neurology team, referral was done today and I have to be up there first thing Wednesday morning.

I took some videos of the twitching, she was half asleep but I woke her up a bit, when she's actually asleep properly, she doesn't do it at all. Vets think it's stress/anxiety and want me to treat her with xanax, but after giving her a few doses and watching her lose full function of her back legs and watch her get distressed, i then decided not to give it to her. it wasn't fair! Also considering how happy and content she is, I doubt very much it's stress/anxiety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aapWTtMLPVM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m41RS8feti0

has anyone actually ever seen anything like this before? It seems to be one side around her shoulders. It really is bizarre!

Secondly, I have about an hour/hour and a half drive to go see this neurologist person. I have bought a very large pet carrier, which I'm hoping will make the journey a bit nicer for her. She's a screamer, she HATES being in the car and cries continuously. Any advice on how I can make this any more pleasant for her? Chances are I'm starving her from midnight tomorrow incase they need to sedate for tests.

edit: if anyone wonders why her neck looks weird, she had a load of bloods taken and for some reason they did it around her throat and shaved her fur :(

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

One of my cats, Max, had something similar to that on his back and toward his hind legs. When we adopted him he was very stressed, overweight, out of shape, and did not like to be touched. He would sit next to me on the couch and nap or relax and twitch. It took about a year and a half for his twitching to calm down. In that time, I played with him every day and he made friends with most of the other cats. As he got more comfortable with touching, I would rub him when I saw him twitching, thinking maybe it was a kitty muscle spasms from his exercise regimen. At this point, I am assuming that stress was the cause of my guys twitching. Rarely do I see him twitch any more.

Is she comfortable and confident at home? Do you have other animals? I would be interested to hear what the neurologist says.

As far as getting her used to the carrier, let her investigate it now and put a blanket or something that she likes in it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:21 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

She's confident and comfortable. We do have another little furbaby but she seems fine with her. They're constantly curled up together and cleaning each other.

The twitch started off as a rare thing but as she's getting older, it's getting worse. To the point where it happens pretty much all the time and the tension from the twitching affects her front leg, as you can see from the video. But it moves like that almost even when she's standing up. It is genuinely heartbreaking because I hate all that I'm putting her through. She's so far, just for this, cost around £800 in vet fees/tests and that's before I've even walked through to see his neurologist. I genuinely can't wait until a cause has been found and hopefully it can be treated. As its got worse she's also gone off her food more. She will eat but I think the twitches get too much that she walks off. Been keeping a really good eye on her weight, she's 6.4lb (2.9kg) at 6 months. She did stop putting on weight for almost a month and stayed at 2.5kg she's a very tall leggy cat.

I guess we shall just have to wait until tomorrow!