It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Urination problems
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:27 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi- I am new to the site- I adopted a Bengal from rescue. She is 3 years old. She is very loving and social. She shows no destructive behavior. She has been with me since mid November. In the first week, she peed on the bath mat. I threw it out. Since then, I noticed her peeing on my hard tile bathroom floor twice- once every 10 days. Then, I thought I smelled some urine on my jeans I had thrown on my bedroom floor.

But, the worst happened yesterday! I had my ski outfit out overnight to get ready for a day of skiing. She climbed into the sleeve of my jacket and peed!! (I had to wear the smelly jacket b/c I didn't have another one!!) Then, today she peed on the bathroom floor while I was in the other room. I took her to the vet- they have to check her for an infection tomorrow. I set up a "litter box cafeteria". She seems to prefer uncovered, Everclean, unscented placed right next to the toilet! She has already peed twice in it!

I am so worried that the reason the last owner gave her up b/c of the pee problems. (Yes. she is spayed.)

Anyone else have these problems? Any suggestions would be appreciated! I love my little girl!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:54 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hopefully the vet will find out if she has an infection. I haven't had this problem before with my cats, but have heard that cats with UTIs do this. You could try Cat Attract litter. I hear that works pretty good at getting cats to use the litterbox.
Do you have other cats in the house?

Best of luck at the vets office!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!! When you get a chance, you should post some pictures of your kitty in the gallery :wink: .

Post subject: thanks Carol
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:58 am 
Bengal Kitten

Once I figure out how to download my pix, I will post! I am very computer- challenged!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You can upload your pictures to www.tinypic.com then copy the link provided to post in forums. Then all you have to do is paste that link in your post, and the picture should work. I know there are other websites to upload to, but I have been using the tinypic site with no problems. :wink: Hope this helps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:40 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

One of my three also pees in random places and I haven't worked out what to do about it yet, other than not leaving clothes lying around and not leaving anything in plastic bags (she seems to prefer shiny surfaces). She often uses the litter tray and I give her lots of praise when she does but I've noticed that most of the time when she pees in other places, I seem to be close by so I think it's some sort of attention-seeking. Her two sisters don't do anything similar. I've recently started letting them all out so I'm hoping that she'll start to toilet outside when the weather improves.

Sorry I can't help with a solution but at least you know you're not on your own!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Welcome to the forum I'm a newbie too!

I have also heard of cats doing this to mark territory even in neutered cats.

We have something called feliway in Uk either as a spray or plug in diffuser that has cat pheramones in which can help with urinating problems.

That could be worth a try if the vet check is ok hopefully it will be :)