[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Going from one bengal to two? People's advice please :D
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was just wondering who has gone from just having one bengal to two and if they could share their experiences.

For instance...

How did the introductions go?
Did the clingyness of the first one ease down?
Did they want to play with you as much or was each others company good to burn off some of their energy?

Basically just looking for advise so I know what to expect in just under 4 weeks :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I have to say things have changed quite a bit since we have taken in our second. Although things are a little different in my situation as I have two adults instead of kittens! BB our first, has went from being a " non cuddling" cat and not wanting to be held, to now she lets me hold her and she sleeps with me now where as before she slept all night with my son. She still stays in there until he goes to sleep tho :mrgreen: as far as playing and energy, BB has never really been a high strung Bengal but she does have her hyper mode! I have noticed that she would usually come to me around 8 every night and want to play, now I just hear what sounds like a heard of elephants thundering up and down the hall! In all honesty there is not a HUGE difference with two than one! It's all of the normal things without worrying if you are providing enough activities for your kitties, if they are bored they have each other!! That doesn't mean they will not look for attention from you tho, if anything I think BB and I have bonded more since we added Jasper to the family, and I have been able to see a totally different cat in her!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thing with me, is if I go out, Lily cries the house down. Everyone keeps telling me that getting the second one, I should almost notice an instant change in her. I love that she looks for attention but I just seem to be her entire universe, if that makes sense? Once again, not that I mind, but if I leave the house, and someone is still here (Lily is almost never in the house on her own) she will still stand and cry for me.

I'm trying to work from home a bit more, at the moment, but I'm lucky if I get two seconds before she's misbehaving and I'm off trying to tell her no, but as we know that just makes it more of a fun game!

Like now for instance, trying to type this and I'm just getting claws and bites because she wants to play lol.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:30 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:04 pm 
Senior Bengal

Getting another cat was the best thing we did. We had Tigerlily a toyger girl and we'd leave for work and you'd hear her at the front door crying :cry: She was also quite naughty as obviously she didn't have anyone but us to play with so she'd rip the house apart for our attention lol. We knew the moment we bought her she needed a friend/playmate as we were going to be in work so we got Orion our lovely Bengal boy. They are seriously the best of friends, always playing, sleeping together, giving each other baths.. it's a lovely relatonship and I think all cats should have a friend. Some cats do tend to like being the only one but I've found (after all the cats I've owned) 9 times outta 10 they love having a friend :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:40 pm 
Senior Bengal

My friend had two boy Bengals and then a few weeks later she bought the sister and at first they hissed at her like they never knew her lol... but they soon all became the best of friends again.

We had the same issue, we bought Tigerlily and within a few days realised we wanted a friend for her (because at first we were going to get a dog.. when that didn't happen we knew she needed a cat friend) Orion was too young so we had to wait a few weeks.

They may hiss and fight and hide from each other. When Orion came home he hide behind our sofa all weekend as the breeder kept him in a cage 24/7 :( he had also never met a man so was scared of my boyfriend for a few weeks. The breeder was a nightmare Orion came to us with TF herpes Corona Virus.. the lot!! So Orion was obviously scared and Tigerlily just kept hitting him lol! But within a day or 2 they were both sleeping on the sofa together :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:38 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ok, well someone had to be a bit more negative, so I'm guessing it falls to me...

My first cat Ella was absolutely miserable when Oscar was introduced. She stopped eating, hissed and hated him for the best part of six weeks. Things were so bad I nearly had to rehome Oscar with a neighbour.

Now they get on most of the time, although fight regularly. However Ella has gone from being a very affectionate cat towards me, who slept outside my bedroom door if I shut it, to a cat that is cautious in her own home, always looking around corners for where Oscar is (even if there is no threat from him). Oscar is very affectionate towards me, but will frequently pounce on Ella if she comes too close to me, which I think has led to the decrease in her affection.

They have their moments - mutual grooming, sleeping up curled together etc - but if I had the chance to do it all over again, I'd have stuck to the one cat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:45 pm 
Senior Bengal

oh that's so sad :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Negativity is good!

Hearing both positive and negative personal experiences are helpful and insightful. I'm actually scared of it not working out with getting a second one. Normally I see things relatively positive but for some reason I'm really sat on the fence. I know she would be best suited with another bengal but I'm scared that she won't accept it, or she's going to be too hyper for the new kitten. There's not even quite 3 months age difference between them, I'm scared tho that Lilly has become used to being an only cat and literally me being her main playmate etc and so forth. I wish I was able to get two from the same litter, but I feel like I'm getting the next best thing to that with getting her half sister.

But we will have to wait and see, I'm more than likely stressing over nothing lol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I beat myself up about this for almost a year! We got BB in April of 2012 and I knew before leaving the breeder that I wanted two. Well I waited a few months and found another kitten, then I put it off because I wanted to bond with her. Then I had to chance to take in a rescue Bengal, well didn't do that for the fear of her catching something. Well long story short I have been through wanting another Bengal for a while now and I waited sooooo long that I thought I had messed up and was not going to have the chance for her to enjoy having another cat to play with. So here it is a year later and I finally got another :biggrin: I honestly probably would have talked my self out of getting him if my husband didn't just go and do it with out me knowing! I think my husband knew that thats why he went and got him as a surprise :eek: I think if you want another Bengal or a cat and KNOW that you will get one, be it now of months down the road. Do it when they are young so they can enjoy each other and you can enjoy watching them! We have had Jasper 3 weeks now and they are just starting to play well together, do not get me wrong we have had some fights but they bounce right back and are chasing each other within a few minutes. I have to say tho if I had to do it over again, I probably would have got BB's brother when we were there! That is the only regret I have about the experience, Truth is tho if I had gotten him I would not have had the opportunity to adopt Jasper! I wouldn't trade him for anything! Even tho he drives me nuts at night :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 am 
Bengal Cat

well im not going from one bengal to two im going from one bengal to another kitten? shes 9 months old and a DSH and i dont know how this will go.

Seymour back story: he was a rescue he was with other cats and all he does is cry at night so we found a 9 month old kitten to add to the family. how do you think this will go?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:10 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hello,

I've got 2 beautiful bengals. Ralph a male who is 14 weeks old and Stella a female who is 8 weeks old. Ralph is very easy going, loves to snuggle and greet you at the door. He's already clicker trained and is very social. I bring him to my parents house amd the pet store every week. He loves the car!! My vet encouraged me to get another ASAP while Ralph was young so last week we brought Stella home. We kept her I'm the bedroom with litter, water amd food. Day 2 I did scent swooping and eating on other sides of the door. Day 3 I let them see each other through the door. Day 4 my vet encouraged me to let them have a supervised visit as there had been absolutely no hissing or growling. Day 4 they're playing licking amd sleeping together. Alot of people people do not have the same success as I had. I feel extreme blessed. Be patient! Amd good luck.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:17 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

We went from one kitten to two.

The introduction was fine as the breeder dropped the second kitten off and introduced them straight away, after about an hour they got along fine (i know this isn't the recommended way & i wouldn't have attempted it this way myself).

Our 1st kitten wasn't clingy & is very chilled and independent, the 2nd one is constantly after attention & is extremely vocal if he doesn't get it :lol:

They both play together, fighting & chasing after each other but the youngest still craves human attention.