It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello fello feline forumers,

Ok so Kuga has really settled in now that we have had him 2 weeks.
He has started to look out the windows and rushed to the back door when he heres it open. I think he knows that Winston our other cat goes outside now and then and he is wanting to do the same.
Unlike Winston,Kuga is not going to be let out as and when he wants due to busy roads and general oiks that might hurt or steal him.
We have decided that although its not the norm in the uk, that we will take him out for play in the garden and walks,
We want him to be happy and experiance outside in a safe controled manor. We have a 30 meter long garden with conifer trees running all the way down both sides. Next door have a dog that has been known to chase cats up there tree and next door the otherside have chickens in a run, there are also alot of other cats in the area, we heard Winston having a 3 way fight the other night with the other local cats.
So due to these factors we want Kuga to have outside fun but be safe.

We have been recomended from a friend that owns Bengals a repertable harness maker. Can anyone who walks there Bengals offer us some advice on where to get started, how to get Kuga used to the harness and any general hints,tips and stories please.

follow the Kuga diaries on fb

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:41 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I shall follow this post with interest, as I too would like to get Raven used to a harness eventuallt for some safe outdoor play. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:11 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm not sure walking a cat on a harness is normal anywhere :mrgreen:

My thread explaining what I did viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16329&hilit=kitty+kamping

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I got a harness from Happy House Cats and Alex now loves it.

It took him a while to get used to it, the first time I put it on him he acted like it took away all his walking ability and just flopped about on the floor looking dismayed. But I distracted him with Da Bird and other toys and little by little he got used to it. I'd put it on him for about half an hour a day and then increased the time (supervised).

Now he will come bolting if he hears me get his jacket off the hanging thing that also has keys. He quivers with excitement til I put it on 8)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks Viperkeeper, alot of info there. We live near the east coast of the uk so hopfully we can take him down to our beech hut for days out.
There is also a large wood only 2 mins down the road.
Thanks Fenstar, will def get him used to the harness arround the house before we take him out to the garden and then other places as he gets used to going out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm 
Bengal Cat

In the US, so I'm not sure what advice on particular makers I can offer, but I can tell you what I did.

We purchased two of the xxs dog harnesses (like these: http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=16929636&f=PAD%2FpsNotAvailInUS%2FNo) from a local pet store. There aren't really cat harnesses around here, so this was our best option. And we got the XXS small because, despite being muscular cats, when we first tried walking, their necks were teeny tiny.

We then spent about a week occasionally putting them in the harness and just letting them roam around the house in it for an hour or two. The first day was....interesting....but by the end of the week, they were okay.

After that, we tried taking one out at a time, in our arms, wearing the harness and leash, just to look around, for a few minutes each day.

Week three, we finally started taking them out to explore on a leash and harness, and it worked....okay. We lived in a noisy neighborhood with a garden area, but there's still a lot of traffic you can hear (and a lot of our neighbors have dogs - whom they don't leash GRRRRR) so they were a bit skittish at first.

Isabella never really took to being outside (though I think we'll try again this spring now that she's older), but Tatiana LOVED it. Loved it so much that she incurred the wrath of a Blue Jay living in a tree in the front garden. Ever had a Blue Jay attack you because it thinks your cat is after its nest? Yeah, not fun. ;)

Wow - that was rambling. But anyway, yeah, that's how we did it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:58 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Got a harness for my Bengal kitten from http://www.mynwoodcatjackets.moonfruit.com/, and it's been really good, can't fault it. In fact, if you look at the pictures in the Luxury Caramel Faux Suede ones, the picture of the kitten indoors is mine :D

Took a bit of time for him to get used to wearing it, but once he was happy in it, tried the lead on inside the house, and he's been brilliant on it, walks better than most dogs! Next step was out onto the patio and back garden, which he is used to now, so now onto going up and down the road (3 trips so far, next one tonight!)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:36 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

We will be getting Kuga a harness at the end of the month and start getting him used to it.
I was wondering as Winston goes outside a bit would it be fair to carry on letting Winston roam arround and have Kuga on a lead. I can see all kinds of trouble as Winston loves climbing the conifer tress in our garden and Kuga might try and follow him and get tangled up.
We do have a washing line that runs 80% of the length of the garden. I was thinking of attaching Kugas harness with enough spare so he could just get to the garden edges but not up the trees! Do you think this is advisable or even fair on him?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can thoroughly recommend getting a harness from Happy House Cats the link was provided by Fenstar. Her jackets are fantastic and made so well. Her fabric choices are the best and they are reversible plus you can have names put on some of the fabrics. She started making them because owners were having some issues with the other one provided in the UK. Whilst that person has now changed her design to resemble HHC's jacket more, the jackets are still not quite as good.

HHC'S also make great toys! So you can have a look through for all her other stuff.

BTW, she delivers all over the world. Members have her jackets in the US and Australia.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:37 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Kuga wrote:
We do have a washing line that runs 80% of the length of the garden. I was thinking of attaching Kugas harness with enough spare so he could just get to the garden edges but not up the trees! Do you think this is advisable or even fair on him?

I do this with Alex BUT ONLY if I can supervise. I use a retractable leash and he wanders about. He will get himself tangled, hence he needs supervision. I would hate for anything to happen to him. He can still climb trees he just can't get over the fences. I often sit outside and read or garden while he's pottering about. He will also curl up and sleep on or under the banana lounge I have out there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Fenstar wrote:
Kuga wrote:

I do this with Alex BUT ONLY if I can supervise. I use a retractable leash and he wanders about. He will get himself tangled, hence he needs supervision. I would hate for anything to happen to him. He can still climb trees he just can't get over the fences. I often sit outside and read or garden while he's pottering about. He will also curl up and sleep on or under the banana lounge I have out there.

I also do this when the weather is ok. But only if I am there with them. My dad will always take Toby out with him when he gardens for me, he gets like a bouncy excitable dog when my dad arrives!!! But my dad complains that he spends more time untangling Toby than he does gardening.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:06 am 
Bengal Kitten

AryaS wrote:
In the US... There aren't really cat harnesses around here, so this was our best option. And we got the XXS small because, despite being muscular cats, when we first tried walking, their necks were teeny tiny.

I tried the Kurga first with my Nori, but she HATED having her head squeezed through the fixed neck hole. I finally found Hyendry walking jacket. It is similar to the HHC jacket in that it has velcro neck and body enclosures and she took to it immediately.

http://www.hyendry.com/Hyendry_cat_walk ... rness.html

They only come in one size, and it is a little big for Nori but she's only about 7lbs so I'm hoping she'll grow into it. It works splendidly however, just extra strap off the ends. She got real scared with some jackass drove by the house at 8am in a 4wheeler when we were in the yard and it held her securely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The Brown Ham wrote:
AryaS wrote:
In the US... There aren't really cat harnesses around here, so this was our best option. And we got the XXS small because, despite being muscular cats, when we first tried walking, their necks were teeny tiny.

I tried the Kurga first with my Nori, but she HATED having her head squeezed through the fixed neck hole. I finally found Hyendry walking jacket. It is similar to the HHC jacket in that it has velcro neck and body enclosures and she took to it immediately.

http://www.hyendry.com/Hyendry_cat_walk ... rness.html

They only come in one size, and it is a little big for Nori but she's only about 7lbs so I'm hoping she'll grow into it. It works splendidly however, just extra strap off the ends. She got real scared with some jackass drove by the house at 8am in a 4wheeler when we were in the yard and it held her securely.

I would be fairly cautious using a jacket that has such an excess of velcro strap as it can so easily come undone. Personally, i wouldn't risk it to be honest. HHC jackets are made to measure and can last a long time. She sends them all over the world, many US people have them as well as those in Australia and elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:27 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Some people prefer to buy local. I know the excess velcro can be a negative, thats why I mentioned it and included a picture so it could be seen :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The Brown Ham wrote:
Some people prefer to buy local. I know the excess velcro can be a negative, thats why I mentioned it and included a picture so it could be seen :wink:

Fine.

I was just pointing out that it can be unsafe.

I like to buy things for my cats from all over the world as i know i can't get all the things i like from one place. I've just taken delivery of some 'Flipper' toys from Sukiroo in the US which teh cats love.

These two US sites offer different sizes for jackets:

http://www.cattykittydesigns.com/apps/webstore/
http://www.joykatz.net/walkingjackets.htm

Not sure on how good/safe they are but at least you can buy different sizes so that it is not too big. I do remember seeing the first site a long time ago, maybe on here. I know Louise at HHC says that her kitten jackets tend to still fit and be safe on cats when full grown but does depend on each individual cat. SHe makes the straps longer in kitten jackets to allow extra room to grow. She also has at least 3 different templates depending on the shape and size of the cat so that they can fit as well as they possibly can.