It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:59 am 
Bengal Kitten

So we just brought our new baby home a couple days ago and I think things are going pretty good between him and our cat Oreo. Just wanted to get an outside point/advice from some of you that have done this before.

Anyway, we have confined our new bengal to one room thus far, with a baby gate to keep him from getting out....and to allow Oreo to get to and from the room. Oreo is past the point of hissing and growling. When he is in the room w/ the new bengal he kind of just sits back afar and watches the new guy closely. Oreo and bengal will play every once in awhile, but Oreo even makes sure to keep his space here too. Usually the mild playing ends in Oreo leaving the room. It is almost like he is still reluctant to fully accept the little guy. Our bengal kitten tries to play w/ him too and tries to get close w/ him. This usually ends w/ Oreo taking off. One other thing I thought I should note, when our bengal uses the litter he doesn't cover it up. Oreo watches this and everytime he is finished Oreo goes and covers up the litter for him. Is Oreo trying to teach him or is this a territory type thing?

Finally, we are making sure to give Oreo lots of love. We make a point to try and give Oreo love too when we are paying a lot of attention to the new guy, but Oreo wants nothing to due w/ us and usually just leaves. He is his normal self when the bengal is not around.

So I guess things seem to be on the right track...just wanted to get your guys' opinion. Sorry about the long post but I just want to make sure this all works out and we have one big happy family.

Thanks guys....this site rocks and I've learned so much by just reading all of your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:17 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

hiya!

it's early days yet, & it sounds as if your guys are doing well for such a new introduction. keep on doing what you are doing, keep an eye on them, don't let oreo feel left out, & you shouldn't have many troubles. sounds like a good start anyway :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:58 pm 
Senior Bengal

When I first got my Bengal, when she used the litter she didn't cover it up. My other cat would also go in and cover it up for her. After a week or two, Fiona, my Bengal started to do the covering herself. Not sure if she didn't know what to do and my other cat was teaching her or if it had something to do with being in a new place.