It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 am 
Bengal Kitten

Hi,
I took in a 2 year old male bengal about 4 months ago. He’d come from an abusive home but hes now settled in fine. I live in a big house and thought I could take in another bengal.
So a week ago I picked up a 4 year female. She had been used as a breeding cat and was dumped in a cardboard box when she stopped producing.
I have kept her in the conservatory and let her out when the male is in the garden. Yesterday I decided to start getting them used to each other. I have been trying to get both of them used to each others scents.
The male went straight upto the female (he's twice the size) and just sat there. She cowered down and hissed constantly. I stood there keeping an eye on them.
They stayed like that for about an hour until I decided they had had enough and closed the door.
I tried again tonight. He again went upto her, she hissed and clawed him when he got too close, but she wouldn’t move from her spot.
After about 30 minutes she ended up messing herself.

Any advice on how to integrate them would be much appreciated.
They have both been spayed/nuetered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:00 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi, welcome to the forum :D

Two key words:

1. Patience
2. Perseverance :wink:

Time is a great help - when i first introduced my 2 yr old female (Saffy) to my 4 month old male (William) i can honestly say i never, ever thought they would get on. :shock:

I've had William, the 4 month old now, for almost 7 weeks - and they still don't completely get along, sometimes William is quite a bully, and Saffy just lies down and takes it. :?

But, that said, they have learnt to tolerate each other a little, and they have even climbed in to bed together on two occasions. :lol:

You could try separating your two cats, and starting over again?
Put a blanket in each cats' bed which smells of the other cats' scent, so they get used to each other without actually necessarily being in the same room.
It sounds to me like a territory issue, the dominance is just a way of the 'bigger' cat trying to assert himself.
Each cat household will have it's own 'pecking order' - it might take time to get there, but it will all fall in to place at some point.

It's also a good idea to feed the less dominant cat first - that way they don't feel too outcast. Try also perhaps feeding the two cats separately for a while, one on each side of a door. That way, they can still smell/sense each other, but they don't feel threatened.
It's said that cats who can eat together will play together. :wink:

Swap litter trays over regularly (if you have any)

If you keep the cats in separate areas, swap cats between each area regularly, too - that way, you won't get one cat that feels constantly 'left out'.

William is the dominant one (of the cats) in our house, but Saffy lets him know if he's overstepped the mark with a swift swipe round the noggin with her paw. :lol:

Give it a few weeks, it's still early days yet, so they might yet get along. :wink:

Whoever said cats were simple...??

Best of luck and let us know how you get on x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:40 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Unfortunately the male has launched some bad attacks on her. I have always kept an eye on them when together and made sure she wasnt harmed.
But i cant be there all the time. The female is gets very stressed when the male is around now.
I think the best thing for all is to return her to the resuce place and accept it will just be a one cat household.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

that would be a shame. can you not keep them seperated when you are not around, & start again slowly from the beginning with very short, gradual introductions as spotsnstripes suggested?