[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - new f1 kitten
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: new f1 kitten
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:05 pm 
Bengal Cat

I unfortunately did not see her facility, she has pictures posted of her in home setup and then the additional enclosures, outdoor ones and then some sort of furnished shed. And you can see a sort of timeline with the pictures as some of her furniture gets rearranged so it seems to actually be her home, but as far as visiting I imagine there are a lot of people unable to do that, people often purchas from across multiple states and although I know its a good idea to make that visit I think often it is not done. I did speak to another person who recived an "f1" from her and since she also had some complaints I can imagine she was a legitimate customer, but 99% of my research was done after I had invested the full price and was told if I wanted my money back a $500 deposit would not be returned I have some worries myself about her as a breeder and the situation it seems I've put myself in, if I have any issues obtaining papers I will ensure she gets the proper legal ramifications and is publically exposed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:25 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The gene pool for the Bengal breed is now large enough to allow SBT's to be used for ALC matings I believe. My Cassius is a highgrade F3, and his pedigree shows that Sarez Little L (ALC) was mated to Sarez Effie (F2). Even though Cassius was more than likely sterile, his registration papers were withheld until proof of neutering was provided. I believe this is standard even with early generation males. I received a copy of his pedigree when I picked him up, but not the registration papers. Neutering was always going to happen anyway, as I didn't want any issues with hormonal behaviour.

I assume you're in the US? As here in the UK, I'm fairly sure that you need a DWA (dangerous wild animal) licence to own an F1. As mentioned, EG's are NOT domestic cats, they are an Asian Leopard Cat Hybrid. They can bond fiercely to one person and one person only. They can also get very easily stressed by change, which can lead to behavioural issues. You will need to be very patient and prepared to spend a lot of time earning your boy's trust. I agree with Viperkeeper that a bathroom isn't the best environment to start out in. Do you have a quiet bedroom or a study where you can work on a computer or read, while the kitten gets used to you? It's only been a few days for the poor wee mite, he's been taken from his mum and litter-mates and plopped into a new and scary situation, so it's not too surprising that he might hiss and cry for a while. Be patient. He will come out when he feels ready. Don't try to rush him, or grab him up for a cuddle - that will only stress him more. Get down to his level and let him come to you. Play at arms reach, with a wand toy, to allow him to get comfortable with you.

As for us? I have been extremely lucky with Cassius. He came to us exceedingly well socalised, and has bonded to both me and the OH. He will happily go to visitors for cuddles, and we have never had any litter box issues either. That said, he is very demanding and can be clingy. And LOUD. When he wants attention, we know it! Also, going away for any length of time can be an issue; Cassius is not happy in a cattery, so we rely on the In-Laws being able to come house-sit.

Your boy has a very wild face - he's a lovely looking boy! What are you going to call him? I hope you get on ok with him, please feel free to PM if you've any questions...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:38 pm 
Bengal Cat

Yes I am in the us first of all, I think the forum is a uk based site butvit seemed the most active and informative, and I am quite content here :)

The breeder recommended the bathroom to keep my two cats seperate and give him his own space, I have an open settin apartment and the only other room I can close off is the bedroom but then I will have to more my other cats litter box and food, I often go in there for extended periods of time and I don't quite understand why the bathroom is such a bad choice.

Also, he is very loud too, he makes so many different noises and he makes sure everyone can hear them. and funny enough if I record him and play it back he meows even louder in response to himself :-P I can even get him to meow back and forth with me

And his name is Bagheera :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I never owned any cat before and really didn't research or find this forum until he was 1½. I had experience with wild animals and took the same approach. I feed him what he'd eat in the wild (rabbit) and never pushed him for contact. I never heard of a safe room but I guess that's what I did anyways. I set up my game room for him with litter, food/water, tree, scratching post, toys. I also put down a mattress and a sleeping bag on the floor. If I was home I was in that room. I wasn't trying to make him come to me just get used to me. I'm sure he watched me sleep and that helped him fear me less. After a few days even though he was still a bit scared of me he started curling up with me at night, and has ever since. I'm simply suggesting you sleep on the floor in his room with him. Your showing him your comfortable and vulnerable so he trusts your not a threat.

The bathroom is not soft and comforting and smells like piss. If you sleep in there with him I'm sure its fine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

When I took a kitten in from a ferral mother (she'd been poisoned and the majority of the litter died), I had him from a guess of 5 weeks old. He would hide, hiss etc, everything you were describing but then I would assume that would happen as he was born feral. So I spent every minute at home that I could dedicate to him, laying on the floor. I got as low as I could, leaving a trail of treats out each time. It took 3 weeks but he eventually came out and sniffed around me. I could feed him out in the open and not behind the sofa and by the time he was 13 weeks, he would curl up on my lap for snuggles.

There were a few occasions he snuck up on me in my sleep and bit my noise lol and occasionally climbing up my legs. I was not without a cat scratch for months!

If in fact your kitty is an F1 and 1 parent was an asian leopard, then you will want to take a whole different approach.

I'm no expert on breeders of cats but I know a thing or two about professional dog and horse breeders. I can safely say that the breeder you got your kitty from has no clue what she is doing. And as for withholding papers, that is a major no no, if a breeder refuses to hand over papers, then I wouldn't take any animal from there. Who's to say she will give you the papers fullstop or if she will give you fake papers?

Did you sign a contract? If you did, then a breeder should put in a clause saying that you do not have breeder rights over this animal and that he/she should be neutered etc.

You will be able to tame him to an extent but you really will have to put a lot of dedication into it, if not then I would recommend that you find a loving home for him to a place that he would be the only kitty.

Good luck x

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:27 pm 
Bengal Cat

There is a contract listed on her site that shows the different purchase options breeder/show/pet, and the contract gets signed accordingly, she was supposed to send me a copy to sign and I mail back for her to sign but she never did

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 pm 
Bengal Cat

He was too far away for me to pick up, he was flown in. Not that I know of :\

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm 
Bengal Cat

Yea, I am doing my best to spend a lot of time with him and I sometimes open the door from the bedroom to the bathroom and he will come explore for a bit before returning to the bathroom, I do that when I want to take a nap so he can come in and out as he pleases with me still there. I'm worried because I will be making a 27 hour drive (with one overnight stop) on Friday, and tommorrow morning he has a vet appointment to get his health checked, I worry that will set back the progress I have made with him so far. I guess the best I can hope for is that he seeks me out as a familiar thing in the scary new enviorment but I'm not too hopeful for that to actually happen. The progress is slow but it is there, I know patience is key I never force him out of his comfort zone

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I dunno if it helps but my ferral moggy liked the TV being left on, when I wasn't there. I used to find him watching the tv when I came home, would leave it on the animal planet tv. He did try smacking the tv a bit though, when other cats came on or there were small animals running about :lol:

Try getting him to play with you, piece of string, something simple. Get him interested, as they sat slowly slowly catchee monkey.

I didn't know they could withhold papers, sorry my bad.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

everyone on here can give you the best advice & help... i no very little about F1s. but off topic here....that kitten is adorable!!!! :mrgreen: i hope it all works out ofcorse, and he is sooo precious looking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:09 am 
Bengal Cat

He meows extremely loud non stop when I'm with him and when he is alone, I'm getting no sleep. :\

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next