[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 551: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 437: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 129: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4677: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4679: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4680: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4681: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3815)
Bengal Cat Forums • View topic - Rori and the vets - with a few issues
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:32 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Rori has her pre-op appointment this friday but also a check-up as I'm a bit iffy about a few things.

Since she's been here, i've noticed her 3rd eyelid slowly goes back and occasionally it doesn't go all the way back in, maybe by about a qtr of a cm or so. It will go in after a few minutes but i'm still a bit weary as I know that 3rd eye lid can be a pointer towards a kitty being under the weather.

Her poo's haven't always been the 'norm' and she's been like this since the day she came from the breeder. I thought well maybe it's the stress of moving, food etc and thought she'd settle but the last 2 days, she still has a soft poo but combined with watery poo too.

I'll be annoyed if the vets say she has a parasite.

I'm also starting to think that maybe all this meowing is because she's telling me she's a bit off(?)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:34 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I would have samples tested for parasites including possibly TF. You can never be sure nowadays. The thing with testing for TF is that you have to wait till at least a week after finishing any antibiotics and worming treatment (and at least 24/48 hours after probiotics). Very often it does not get tested at first and is done further down the line when everything else has been treated/ruled out. Just because the first test says Giardia does not mean that is all that is present so if you do not test for TF at first it may be way down the line that it gets tested after a lot of money and a lot more problems for the cats.

Soft/runny poo should not still be going on if it was down to stress of the move. It also shouldn't really be the food if it's what she was being fed at the breeder and was fine there. The stress of a move can 'wake up' sleeping parasites in the gut.

Worming treatments offer no protection in teh long term, they only really kill what is there at the time, so it so possible to become infected after worming treatment has been given.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:52 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

If something is found, I think I maybe having a word with the breeder.

She's till got 3 weeks covered on insurance, would that cover the majority of costs if all these tests need to be run?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:16 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

It should cover everything except the excess. My cats were +ive for TF and i managed to claim for the majority of it i just paid 2 lots of excess (2 cats) my vets actually put all the treatment costs etc. on 2 cats not 4 so it saved me anotehr 2 lots of excess.

ETA:
Make sure you don't claim at the vets that she came with the issue as Petplan may say that it was pre-existing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:18 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

ah ok, will do!

She just did a very runny poo that was yellow. I did give her and mummy raw food yesterday and this morning. BUT I also caught her licking the clean cat litter last night and i think she may have eaten some :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Poor rori, bad runs this afternoon, it was just dripping out of her :? then i noticed her 3rd eye lid hadn't retracted :shock:

I called the vet and she said that if she's still drinking, walking about, active, then just to give her water and cooked chicken. i'm gonna go out and get some chicken/rice special stuff from the vets tomorrow. she has her appointment on friday anyway but vets said if she gets worse, to bring her in before hand.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

She's just finished her course of probiotics and her poo's are no longer runny, they are like they are supposed to be. But her 3rd eyelid was still showing, not as much as before but it had a more pinkish color to it, rather than a pale color.

This morning, I used some spot on multi wormer stuff, breeder said she hadn't been wormed since 3 months. So I figured I'd give it a go. That was about 11am this morning, I've just gone to give her a cuddle and her 3rd eyelid has fully retracted now and her eyes seem a lot brighter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

so sad especially about her eyes :shock: :( keep us posted with what the vets say

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

will do, booked her in for her pre-op a week tomorrow.

I just hope I never have o feed her pills again, i took a good 40 odd mins to get them down her, even tried grinding them up and puting in her fav food, she didn't fall for it! My arms look like freddie crouger has been a me :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

there is some thread on here i read a little while back that explains about how to give a cat a pill....its a long funny joke i will try to find it. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:10 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

yes rori is gorgeous!!! and i would of freaked out in the vets too!! :shock: thats crazy your poor kitty was prob in shock....well atleast its all over for him. i will try to find that thread

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I FOUND IT!!! i dont know to copy a thread to post it on here :? so i just copied & pasted :wink:

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right
forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while
holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and
swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand.
force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a
count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and
repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit.
Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply
Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbour's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in
cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Apply whisky compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss-back another shot. Throw Tee shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve the f------ cat from tree across the road. Apologize to
neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie the little b*stard's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of
dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large
piece of fillet steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down
throat to wash pill down.

14) Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect mutant cat from hell and ring local pet shop to see if they have
any hamsters.

How to Give A Dog A Pill:

1) Wrap it in bacon.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That was so good I choked on my coffee a little. Thanks for that! ;)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

LOL sounds about right, my arms and legs are covered in scratches. I tried that pill pocket thing, not something you can do on your own, esp when your cat REFUSES to open he mouth :evil: