It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:02 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So, I posted this in the Kitty Kamping Adventures thread, but since I see so much anxiety about collars, I thought I would throw this out there for anyone who missed it to see, in case it might be helpful. Just basically copying and pasting from the other thread. Apologies for the bad quality pictures, I took them on my phone really quickly, but it's not a hard concept, so I think they'll suffice.

I got Fandral a collar from http://designacollar.com/home. Beautiful leather collars, handmade, inexpensive, and customised with any design you'd like. However, the risks associated with it were keeping me up at night. He needs a collar because we're outside a lot and I like for him to have visible identification, should he ever stray a bit too far or run up to someone. The jingling of his nametag also allows me to tell where he is.

The person who makes these collars put a bit of elastic cord between the band and the buckle to allow it to stretch, and theoretically allow the collar to slip over the cat's head, but I wasn't convinced it would work if Fandral ever got stuck. I've seen some of the injuries caused by this type of collar, including one posted on this forum, so I know that it's a danger, and not a solution to the strangulation threat. (It did give me the idea, however.)

So I replaced the thick, "unbreakable" elastic with an orthodontic elastic. (The tiny little rubber band used in braces. I'll mention what size and strength in a second.) I cut the rubber band and tied the buckle to the collar with it, where the stronger elastic the collar came with used to be. I tested it. It can stretch to a reasonable degree, it won't break just sitting there on his neck, or if I gently stretch it. It won't fall off. But one quick tug and it snaps, freeing the collar completely. Now, if his collar ever got stuck on anything, he would very easily snap it free. Nine times out of ten I'd be by his side anyway. It's merely a safeguard if it were to ever get stuck when I'm out of range. There is no mechanism that has to work for him to free himself. I love Fandral and I've already broken a few of these elastics (after they're tied on the collar) making positively sure that they're feeble enough to break when they need to. I agonised over what could happen if it caught on something when the stronger elastic was on there, trying to think of something better. This is the best I can do. He needs a collar, and if it ever did get stuck and I wasn't there to free him, I'm confident he's stronger than a wimpy rubber band. (The wimpiest I could find!)

^See? Looks perfectly normal. :o

I used the Ormco Zoo Pack size Zebra. Its strength and ability to stretch without breaking is compromised anyway, since it's cut and then retied, but if you wanted to use a lighter elastic, you could. There are many sizes smaller and lighter than the one I used. Zebra worked fine for me, it's stretchy but easily breakable. See the sizing chart:

Actually, here's the full-size, you can see it better: http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/ormco-co ... lsize.html

If you're making the collar, or if you are making your own loop at the end of the collar, or undoing it and then re-attaching it, you could even use something like Hummingbird without cutting and tying it, and just putting it on the same way they put the heavy elastic on, only yours will be breakable. You could then test the collar and see if it breaks easily enough for you to feel comfortable. I haven't experimented with all the different elastic sizes and stuff yet.

I'm sure there are some reliable pre-made breakaway collars out there, but for someone like me who really loves having a collar specially made for their animal, I think it's a good option. This would work even if you make your own collars. All you need is an orthodontic rubber band which connects the buckle and the collar. That way, if you wanted, you could still use a homing tag like the one viperkeeper uses for Pouncey without feeling distressed. :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:46 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Well, he was exploring this dense copse/hell-bush thing and when he came out, he had no collar. :lol: And I got poison ivy all over my body trying to find it. >_> At least it worked when it needed to, right? :P Hopefully I can find his collar in a few months when the greenery goes away.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:08 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

If it comes off the homing tag won't work. Not that I have figured a solution to that issue but at least you could find your lost collar. In the mean time what about Fandral in a spiked collar? All the ladies love it :wink:

Thanks for sharing it seems like a cheap way to use any collar. I think the breakaways can get expensive, not look exactly how you want and not do there job anyways. Where I live its required by law to have a collar and identification visible at all times. They don't always cheek for chips and they don't put effort into finding the owner. They chose a much cheaper alternative :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

spiked collar? that's like a rottie inside a kittie lol

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

XD I'm sure he would look very tough in that! I think it would be cute, but the only thing I worry about is people thinking he's vicious or something. :roll: He was chasing kids on their scooters the other day, just chasing them and then stopping a distance away when they stopped. But people around here apparently don't teach their kids about animals. I think the kids were afraid of him, even though I explained that he was nice and just trying to play. When I was a kid I HOPED for stuff like that to happen. If someone saw him running around and they saw a spiked collar, they might judge him even more harshly. :[