It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Going Away
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm going to Ethiopia on Sunday 11th for two weeks to visit a charity project and will be leaving my three 6 month old Bengals for the first time. A neighbour is going to come in twice a day to feed them, clean the litter trays and spend a bit of time with them but I'm quite anxious about how they'll react when I return. They've always been friendly but recently have been more so - demanding lap time and generally looking for physical contact which is making it even harder to leave them.

Has anyone else left their Bengals for 2 weeks and, if so, how did they cope with it (the cats that is, I know I'll miss them like crazy)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Goodluck on your trip.. how exciting.. :D

I would be tempted to get the neighbour to move in for two weeks...
make sure the tv/radio etc are on for company in the day/evenings...
im sure they wont sulk with you for too long... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:39 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just a few weeks ago I left Sammie for 10 days. I had a friend come over every other day to feed her and scoop the litter.

We actually set up a webcam pointed at her food bowl so we could watch her :)

A couple things she did was start eating like crazy, going through the food 3 times faster than normal. My friend also said she would cry nonstop but wouldn't want to be petted or let my friend near her.

When we came home, she starting crying really loud when I opened the door, but when I walked into the bedroom where she was laying she jumped up once she saw me and gave me some headbutts. The rest of the day she was nervous about us even leaving the room, let alone walking out of our apartment, but within a day or two she was back to her normal self.

In an attempt to keep her occupied, I scattered toys all over my apartment, and I left the kitchen light on and put several nightlights around so she wouldn't be in the dark for 10 days.

Sammie didn't tear anything up, get into anything she wasn't suppose to (although we did do a bit of cat-proofing), and used her litterbox normally.

The good thing about you is that you have 3 and they will keep each other company! My poor Sammie was all by herself the majority of time.

http://www.spoiledbengal.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:22 pm 
Hi,

I have two boys (have had them since summer 06) and we had only ever been away for a few days before this summer so left them at home with someone coming in morning and evening. It's someone we know well anyway, as she's looked after our various pets for years.

In the summer we went to stay with some friends for a week and during that time my Stepdad suddenly became very ill and we had to rush up to my parents' house. Unfortunately he died a few days later and we were away for about two weeks dealing with the funeral etc. Luckily the girl that looks after the cats was able to carry on coming in which was a great relief given everything that was happening.

So in total we were away from home for about 3 weeks and I have to say that Bert and Ernie were really good. The worst they did was peel some wallpaper off the wall in the hallway, but that was coming off anyway (and who could resist that?!) and lifted a bit of carpet in a corner of a doorway (cats and closed doors.....). I was terrified that I'd come back to a wrecked home and that they'd be really traumatized......but they were fine, and just extra affectionate - they followed us EVERYWHERE for about a week when we first got back!

So really, I'd say that I'd never consider putting my boys into a cattery if we were away for a long time - far better for them to be in their own home. Just restrict their access to a couple of rooms (kitchen and a bedroom in our case) and the hall to limit what they can get up to in your absence! Don't forget, they sleep for a large amount of the day so as long as your neighbour gives them a fuss and has a bit of a play with them, they should be fine.

Hope your trip goes well :-)

Teresa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:21 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Sorry to hear about your stepdad Teresa.. ((hugs to you))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks for the advice - I'm sure they'll be OK but I just don't want the bond between us to be broken by me going away. They know the neighbour quite well but they won't have all their favourite things to do like climbing in the fridge, sharing the shower, launching computer programmes I didn't even know I had .......

To make things worse, I'm taking them all to be spayed a week after I return and I don't want them to associate the two events. In an ideal world I'd have waited a bit longer but they're already 6 months old and showing signs of "maturity" so it needs to be done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

i'm sure they'll be fine hun, like others have said, they have each other to play with.

even if they have the ump when you first get back, they do forget quickly & it will only take them a day or so to be back to their normal mischievous selves.

teresa, sad about your stepdad, must have been a hard time for you. i bet having your babies to come home to made it a little easier :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just got back from my trip to Ethiopia and all three kitties have been fine - it's as if I'd never gone away! I wonder if they'll be so forgiving when I take them all to be spayed next week :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:06 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

hi! did you have a good time?

glad everything was ok when you got back :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So pleased everything went well, it is worrying, knowing you have to leave them now and then. Hope you had a nice time.
I'm actually dreading our next holiday... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:57 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had a fantastic time. I was visiting a World Vision project in a slum area of Addis Ababa which my church has been supporting and I saw poverty on a scale that you can hardly believe. Despite that, there was a vitality and energy among the people that puts us in the "developed" world to shame. I came away both shocked by the conditions in which people live and inspired by their spirit at the same time. It was a very humbling experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

what a fantastic opportunity for you.