It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:27 am 
Bengal Cat

Hello everyone! I am Donna, my husband and I just adopted a 2 year old Bengal Cat we named Arwen. I just loaded pictures of her in your gallery. I have a tabby named Rohan, and a Border Collie mix named Rivendell.

We've had Arwen about 5 or so days. She has never been around a dog and is adjusting to Riven very nicely. Rohan however is a different story. Sometimes they'll sniff or meow at each other. Twice now, though, she has attacked him for no reason when he was minding his own business. Once she jumped on him while he was sleeping in one of our computer chairs, and today she attacked him while he was staring out the window. I have her on a harness/leash which she's ok with because I cant have her wandering around. Neither Rohan, nor Arwen is fixed, and I dont want any babies. So Arwen gets fixed in a week and a half and then she'll have freedom to go anywhere in the house. My question though is, why is she attacking Rohan? How should I handle it when she does? Rohan is bothered enough that he is sleeping in my room now and barely coming out because she keeps going after him.

She's been around other cats, and her previous owner stated she is ok around them once she's used to them. I just dont know what to do, or how to make her understand that Rohan belongs just as much as she does. Sorry Im going on and on I just dont know what to do. Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:25 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Donna

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Arwen's a very pretty girl - I love her eyes!
To answer your question, I'll need to ask you a few of my own first. Where did you adopt Arwen from? Why was she up for adoption? How old is Rohan? Does he spray? Can you tell if Arwen is 'attacking' rather than 'playing'? My Bengals ambush each other in play fight - maybe Rohan just doesn't get the game?

But I'd guess that, if you've only had Arwen for 5 days, she's still settling in. You can try a Feliway spray or plug-in, or Bach flower remedies in her water. Definitely keep them separated, especially seeing as they're both entire (most, if not all of us here would advocate getting Rohan spayed as well, especially if he's allowed outside... that's a whole 'nother can of worms though.) You should try swapping the cats' bedding so they can get used to each other's scent.

There have been a number of recent threads on this too, that may have more ideas that I can't remember. A Google search on introducing cats will also have plenty of suggestions.

Good luck
Emma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:34 am 
Bengal Cat

Thank you for your compliments!! I love her eyes as well.

I got Arwen from a lady who was needing to rehome her due to her husbands allergies. They had 2 bengals and he gradually became severely allergic. So I took her. Rohan is gonna be 3 on Halloween. He sprays out of anger. People say cats dont, but trust me Rohan does! He has not sprayed for a while, or since we've gotten Arwen. I guess I dont know the difference between attacking and playing. I just know it scares him and he runs. I am now wondering if Im being overprotective. Im the kind of animal owner who doesnt have kids, and my animals are my kids.

As for fixing him I 100% agree. If I could I would. My husband however is a different story. He told me he doesnt want him fixed, and refuses to let me. He is never outside, and never around another cat (except Arwen, and Im VERY careful). I dont want more cats added to the world, far too many die in shelters every year, which is why I adopted both of my cats.

Ok so Im hoping with that info maybe you can think of something more. I appreciate your response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:14 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

smileyzookie wrote:
People say cats dont, but trust me Rohan does!
As for fixing him I 100% agree. If I could I would. My husband however is a different story. He told me he doesnt want him fixed, and refuses to let me. He is never outside, and never around another cat (except Arwen, and Im VERY careful).

People say cats don't? Most neutered cats don't, but I'm sure there are many breeders here who can tell you about their cats spraying. I think most entire male cats spray! Maybe you could do some research on that and show your husband? It's not a certainty that he'd stop if he was desexed, but a possibility.

Also, I have read a story about someone with an entire female cat, who had a male cat climb into their house through the fan in the laundry ceiling to get to their female! So both be super super vigilant until Arwen is desexed, and also of Rohan trying to get out to see other cats.

smileyzookie wrote:
I guess I dont know the difference between attacking and playing. I just know it scares him and he runs.

Watch her body language if it happens again (though try to avoid it of course). Does she hiss or growl? If so, maybe it is aggressive rather than playing. Does she actually hurt Rohan? Does she pounce and run, or try to fight? Her previous owner might be able to tell you if she used to play-wrestle with the other cat there.

Also (and breeders can tell you more on this) but if Arwen has enough freedom to pounce on Rohan, how much more difficult would it be for Rohan to 'pounce on' Arwen? I don't know how quickly cats go into heat, or how long mating takes, but as you said, there are enough mix-breed kittens needing homes out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:39 am 
Bengal Cat

I keep her near me at all times because she is on a leash. If Rohan were to act interested in her I'd keep her in a carrier or in a seperate room. Even if she becomes pregnant, I would have them taken care of when she gets fixed. Although, I am sure that wont happen, as I said I am with her all the time.

She doesnt growl or hiss. In fact mostly its quiet stalking, then BOOM! she strikes. Usually swatting with her paw is the main attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:19 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

First of all, welcome here LOTR lover :lol:.

As you said, as she's going to get fixed in 10 days, even if she become pregnant it won't be an issue as the vet will remove all... so the leash isn't perhaps necessary ;). If you feel more comfortable with it, keep it of course...

From what you describe I'd say she's trying to play and Rohan just doesn't get it ! If he's 3 and never played with a cat before (since childhood ;)), he must have "forgotten", but I guess in a few weeks time he'll play again, he just have to ajust !

As for fixing Rohan... why does your husband doesn't want to ? Anthropomorphism ? :roll:
Tell him a non neutered cat suffers when he can't have females (as your cat does as he's kept in the house). Also, he'll try escaping, and once outside if he succeeds, he might get run over, get in fights and catch FIV (cat's AIDS)... his lifespan will be reduced. And what more he'll add to unwanted kittens ending in shelters.
So neutering is really the best option for a cat which isn't intended to breed... ;).

I'm going to have a look at Arwen ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:41 am 
Bengal Cat

LOL - Im surprised! Few people actually pick up on LOTR. They just frown when I say their names, then I have to go into the whole story of their names.

Its quite likely you're right about playing. Rohan was given to us when he was 3 weeks old by his foster mom that was overloaded with cats. He nearly died that night (bad bad food and being so young combined) and we spent a lot of time and money to get him to the healthy punk of a kitty he is now lol. He's my baby though and I love him to death. (I'd attach a picture, but my picture site is doing maintenance.) So he probably wouldnt know what it was like to try to play. The dog tries to play too but he doesnt understand that either lol. Is there a way to encourage him to play or show him or anything? Or will it just come on its own?

Quote:
As for fixing Rohan... why does your husband doesn't want to ? Anthropomorphism ?

LOL! :lol: That is quite possible I think. I brought it up to him the day before Arwen got here and he said, you might as well kill him cause we aint fixin him.... he was joking of course, but you get the point. Rohan would not make it in a shelter anyway because he has quite an attitude. He doesnt like anyone but us, and has no problem swatting, nipping, ankle biting or chasing anyone who he thinks needs put in their place lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Please dont take this the wrong way but I think your OH is being irresponsible and unfair to Rohan. Maybe your little girl is being aggresive because she is on a leash and Rohan is not, Do you have her on a leash 24/7 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:23 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

smileyzookie wrote:
Rohan was given to us when he was 3 weeks old by his foster mom that was overloaded with cats.
So he probably wouldnt know what it was like to try to play.
He doesnt like anyone but us, and has no problem swatting, nipping, ankle biting or chasing anyone who he thinks needs put in their place lol.

hi donna, welcome to our little world :lol:

i think you have pretty much answered your own questions here lol, poor little rohan, only 3 weeks old? that's dispicable! thank goodness he found you. he probably isn't sure how to play, but by the sounds of how he acts with people he doesn't like, he'll soon get the hang of it!
i agree that arwen is probably playing, if she meant it, you would know about it.
it could also be the fact that she is conscious of his male smell, & is testing her boundaries with him.

it might be worth researching a few facts on entire cats to show to your hubby, for one...an entire male needs to satisfy a minimum of 6 queens a year to be happy. if he doesn't have the freedom to satisfy this demand, he will become stressed, aggressive & unhappy. his health will suffer as all he will have on his mind is females. it's not as straight forward as having entire dogs.

you can try looking at the websites for the cats protection league, the cat group, the feline advisory bureau, the GCCF & TICA. all of these will provide links to information on keeping entire males & many reasons why they should be neutered :D

good luck, & stay around & keep us updated with your progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Ps : as for my arguments... you can tell your husband I'm a vet and I know what I'm talking about ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:17 pm 
Bengal Cat

Sherark wrote:
Please dont take this the wrong way but I think your OH is being irresponsible and unfair to Rohan. Maybe your little girl is being aggresive because she is on a leash and Rohan is not, Do you have her on a leash 24/7 ?

No, there is a seperate room that is only hers. She's in there part of the day and out on a leash part of the day.

Believe me everyone I've tried explaining Rohans frustrations to my husband, but he just doesnt understand. I have been pestering him to let me fix him and he isnt giving in. Im secretly praying he'll spray on his work clothes or something lol. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:07 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Get some urine from the litter tray and rub it on his clothes :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:24 am 
Bengal Cat

:twisted: :twisted: That is hilarious.