It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:45 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

queenb wrote:
I know what your saying Oscarsaurus, but if you pay say £400 for say ten years thats approx £4k and then you pay the excess each ailment say £50 each ailment plus the usual for all the neutering - flea treatments - worming etc..
surely its worth keeping the money to one side and using it accordingly..

I can see where you are coming from, but would you really not touch that money, say you've had 3 years with no problems, pretty sure the money would go on something else :)

plus I had a friend who's cat fell in the sink whilst she was washing up, cat got a lung full of water and was in intensive care for 2 weeks cost over £1500 in vet bills, it was touch and go at one point, now if she hadn't been insured she could have so easyily decided to give up. :(

Cat is fine now.

Naomi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:08 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Gavin wrote:
ginnym wrote:
Axa's policy covers you for up to £7,000 per illness, per insurance year which means you can claim for the same illness the following year, so if you have a pet which needs lifelong treatment, it carries on being covered. That was my understanding of how the M&S policy works and is a better deal than than policies which say maximum amount per illness.

You could be right actually..... however, if you did claim for an illness, when you come to renew, they'd hike up your premium because of it, would they not?

I'm sure you're right - there's no such thing as a good deal with insurance really, the insurer always does best :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:45 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

yup, the insurance companies never lose out...

Just looked at the Tesco policy.. seems pointless to me.
if you lost your cat or it escaped from your home it could come under the negligence clause.
and all illnesses are only covered for 12 months- :o
but most seem to be this way..
:(

I will probably use petplan supercat £15 p/m per cat..for about 12 months to get a feel about the cats general health and then decide whether to stay or leave XX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

queenb wrote:
Just looked at the Tesco policy.. seems pointless to me.
if you lost your cat or it escaped from your home it could come under the negligence clause.
and all illnesses are only covered for 12 months- :o

Not what is says on my policy about losing your cat, as most cats go outside can't see how they can get you on the negligence clause. Doesn't mention anything about if they escaped from your house. Only that they will pay up after 45 days.

Most only cover for 12 months, it's 12 months from the start of the illness not when your policy started. plus recurring illness they will pay up to their maximum for the lifetime of the cat, so in our case if Charlie got another ulcer on her eye we are covered for that for another £1500 of fees.

I have claimed 3 times off tesco's and never had any problems. Receiving the money within days of the claim. Plus we are in a situation now where one of our cats is 13, Tesco cover her because we've been with them awhile, whereas if we look elsewhere cover for her will be limited or very expensive. :)

Naomi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Petpals cover lifelong illnesses too - got this from their website:

petPals provides lifelong insurance for cats and dogs, within the UK, protecting pet owners from the cost of unexpected veterinary bills.

Some companies claim to offer lifelong protection and then stop paying for your claims once a time or financial limit is reached. Every year you renew your policy with petPals, we will continue to pay towards the treatment of any new conditions for as long as they last - even if this is for the rest of your pets life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:41 am 
The Boss

Don't know if this has been covered on here yet but Pet Plan only covers the death i.e purchase cost on it's top policies!

Breeding policies don't cover much at all....scottish pets used to be the best untill recently, now they don't cover c-sections at all I believe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

I don't use insurance, I pay my vet bills as they come up.
I think if you have fairly young or healthy cats then I would just put the money away every month in a separate account - direct debit just as if you were paying an insurance then I feel that excluding say a huge heart op that would need thousands I think you probably would be able to pay bills as they came up.

At £30 a month that is £360 a year or you could pay up to £492 or more a year like Oscarsaurus so the money would soon mount up. 3 years of putting money away would have covered the cat in the sink scenario.

I have never paid a £7000 bill per year so the cover is probably immaterial. There is also the excess and the exclusions to take into account, so some visits/illnesses wouldn't be covered anyway.

You can always spend the money whereas money paid to an insurance company is gone if you don't claim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

queenb wrote:
I will probably use petplan supercat £15 p/m per cat..for about 12 months to get a feel about the cats general health and then decide whether to stay or leave XX

That sounds like a wise approach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:30 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I can't recommend petPals insurance highly enough...we sent our claim form in for Horus less than 2 weeks ago, bearing in mind we have had a Postal strike - we had a letter this morning to say that the claim for the amount we paid for him, will be paid, in full, over the next few days.
Of course, it is a sad thing to have to claim for and i felt like my heart was going to break all over again! :cry:
That was the standard plan which costs £8.87 per cat, per month. (It was promotional for the first year at £6.99)
No quibbles, no questions, no hassles. Perfect. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:57 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

junglerose wrote:
Hi

At £30 a month that is £360 a year or you could pay up to £492 or more a year like Oscarsaurus so the money would soon mount up. 3 years of putting money away would have covered the cat in the sink scenario.

You can always spend the money whereas money paid to an insurance company is gone if you don't claim.

Yes but the £492 per year is for 5 cats, what if the cat in the sink happened in the 1st year? Which incidentally is when it did happen. Or what if something like that happened to 2 of you cats? Are you really going to find 3 grand?

Unfortunately that is the nature of insurance, I've never made a claim on my car insurance but wouldn't dream of not being insured because of it.

Where as with the cat insurance I have actually claimed 3 times, and that's with 5 healthy cats. :)

Naomi