It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: which insurance - if any
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi everyone..
do you bother with insurance or not?
the reason I ask is this..
All my mogs in the past have NOT been insured and have not cost me too much over the years..
My two dogs ( rottweiler & great Dane) have been insured.
Rottweiler is 5 and I have never claimed ( £16 p/m) although I had to pay for a cesarean etc (not ever covered)
Dane is 2 and have claimed once for cyst removal costing £140 which I had to pay upfront ( also £16 p/m)
I have just cancelled the policies and have decided to just pay the bills if and when they arise seeing as I have to pay upfront anyway.
the cats are valuable but cost the same as my dogs to purchase.
I am thinking I might get insurance for the first 12 months and then go it alone cause if Insure them all I will be looking at £50/60 permonth?
Who do you guys use?
do you have to pay up front direct to the vet?
whats your thoughts if you have several animals to pay for??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:04 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I was thinking about pet insurance, but I'm torn on it. I'm leaning towards just putting the money into a savings account for my cats. I had more than $600 so far in vet expenses (neutering, vaccines, treatments for parasites etc.) and looking over a couple of insurance policies only about $90 or so of that would have qualified for claims. I don't quite see the advantage of paying for insurance that covers only 15% of my expenses. At $20-30 per month, it just doesn't seem to add up (at least not for me). E.g. let's say I would get insurance for $30/month (2 cats). That's $360 per year. If I could only claim 15% on average, I would have to have vet costs of $2800 or more per year before having insurance started paying off for me. Looking around the 'net for estimates for average yearly vet costs, I find numbers ranging from $100-500 per cat, so nowhere near that mark, not even for two cats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I had/have petPals insurance for both my cats, Horus & Saffy. I guess it's just for peace of mind. The policy i have pays out if your pet dies, so i have applied for that reimbursement. i don't know what percentage i will get back though (Horus originally cost us £250) and cremation/burial costs are not covered. Nor is a £30 vet excess.

I had to pay the cremation costs of £74 up front and it took over a week to get the form back to me, from the vets, to send off with the receipts etc. Plus there's now a strike on so the claim will be even more delayed! :roll:

William is with Petplan for 6 weeks, then i'll shop around, or stick with them, depending on which company has the best policy.
I think i would always have pet insurance, i only have to think of my FIL whose dog got hit by a car after he escaped off his lead - the vet bills cost almost £3000 and he had recently cancelled his insurance policy due to splitting up with his partner.. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:15 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Just a thing : would the dog who got it by a car (outside the garden I guess would have been covered ?

Because in France, "hit by car" accidents outside the propriety aren't (for some insurances at least), meaning you are covered only if you run over your animal while in your alley...

I won't take an insurance as it would cost me more than anything :lol:, as I'm a vet, but I'm not sure if it's really needed or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I insured with Pet plan until we lost Ken in February. Took me 4 mths to get my money off them. They tried to tell me that i didnt have cover for death from illness when it was written in front of me on the policy document. After a long fight and endless listening to phone calls and huge phone bills, i got paid out for him. I had to pay the £384 up front to have him put to sleep and crem fees and tests so i was relieved to get it back. Im sure they all try it on but if that had been someone who wasnt sure about what cover they had got, they would have given up and lost the money.

I now insure with Marks and Spencers who cover for life and death from illness which a lot don't cover for. It also works out a lot cheaper than the others. Costs me about £30 mth for 3 cats.

Check your policies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:11 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

You defo need to check your small print..
I was with Marks & spencer for the dogs but they seem to add a huge amount each year..
up to last year the dogs were £9.00 each with no excess and now they are £16 each with 10% of the bill excess..
Its a hard one really cause some policies only cover for one ailment per 12 month period and others pay for life long illnesses.

And normal things like vaccinations, pregnancy related problems, neutering.. etc are not covered anyway..
but they are your main outlays..
If I cover for the first 12 months then I guess I will get a pretty good idea of the health of the cat.. ie allergies, food intolerance etc..
but also don't you find some vets play on the fact that you have insurance and like to shove allsorts of maybe unecessary drugs into the animal just cause they can claim money..
it has happened to me once..
I changed vet straight away :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:43 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I dont know any that cover for vaccinations and neutering but im sure some insurances cover for pregnancy and related problems.
Im sure there must be some vets that try and get away with that. Must admit that mine is brill.
Dont think id ever be without insurance after Ken though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:42 pm 
We're with Marks and Spencer too, but thinking about changing next time it renews - as someone has said, they put the price up every time it renews, so it's not as good value as it was....

Also, they've changed the policy recently so that you're only covered for that period of insurance, so for instance, if your cat had something wrong with it that was ongoing in month 11, as soon as you got to month 12 and the policy expires, you'd no longer be covered.... and of course you'd struggle to get insurance for that condition anywhere else as it would then be pre-existing....

Pet plan are one of only a few who do cover across insurance periods I believe, so I may look to change to them when the M&S policy expires...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Gavin wrote:
Also, they've changed the policy recently so that you're only covered for that period of

Any idea when they changed the policy? I looked at them a couple of months ago for insuring my 3 kittens and the quote said the cover was for the length of the illness and not time restricted. I haven't got round to doing anything about it yet because I'm still undecided as to whether it's worth it. I was leaning towards M&S but if they've changed their policy then it's no longer such an attractive quote.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:54 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Havent heard that one Gavin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Apparently Marks & Spencer are underwritten by AXA so maybe it is worth going to them direct..
maybe cheaper..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:33 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Axa's policy covers you for up to £7,000 per illness, per insurance year which means you can claim for the same illness the following year, so if you have a pet which needs lifelong treatment, it carries on being covered. That was my understanding of how the M&S policy works and is a better deal than than policies which say maximum amount per illness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:48 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Insurance wise we use Tesco's, which costs us £492 a year, for 5 cats (2 of which are pedigrees and one of the moggies is 13 years old)

We have had several claims with them and never had any problems and the premium hasn't gone up because of the claims.It works out at about £8 per month per cat.

I think not insuring your cat is risky as how would you pay if the fee's were £1000 plus.

One of the claims we made was for an eye ulcer, which came to about £500. :shock:

We also get the cost of cat back when they die, which is how we ended up with Oska.

Naomi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:56 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I know what your saying Oscarsaurus, but if you pay say £400 for say ten years thats approx £4k and then you pay the excess each ailment say £50 each ailment plus the usual for all the neutering - flea treatments - worming etc..
surely its worth keeping the money to one side and using it accordingly..
All my cats previously hardly ever needed treatment other than the odd abcess from fighting :roll:
and if they die of old age you cant claim anyway..
but then if your caught out like Poor Caroline and her kitten then maybe it could be worth it..Also Argos seem quite good too.. not studied it yet though.. :wink:

Last edited by queenb on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:04 pm 
ginnym wrote:
Axa's policy covers you for up to £7,000 per illness, per insurance year which means you can claim for the same illness the following year, so if you have a pet which needs lifelong treatment, it carries on being covered. That was my understanding of how the M&S policy works and is a better deal than than policies which say maximum amount per illness.

You could be right actually..... however, if you did claim for an illness, when you come to renew, they'd hike up your premium because of it, would they not?