It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:56 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I posed this question on another site -- but wanted to hear your advice on the subject as well...

I know bengals are (or atleast Confetti) great with kids. But what about babies? I recently found out that I am couple months pregnant (this is a surprise in itself) and in another thread I had talked about how he stalks me for fun. He rules the house. Sleeps in bed with us, gets what he wants -- he is "the baby" of the house. Once the baby is born, we will not allow him to sleep in our room until the baby gets olders. He will get to sleep with my daughter because that is his second favorite place to crash in the house (beside on top of the wine cabinet). I am worried about him resenting the baby and the fact that he will somewhat loose his place as the baby until the baby gets a bit older. I am also afraid he may retaliate and pee or spray the baby crib or baby stuff because of not wanting the baby around. At this point I am not sure if I am more worried about the cat and the baby or telling my almost 7 & 9 year olds they are going to have a sibling.....

I also need to admit I am pretty anal when it comes to keeping infants under 8 months and animals apart. This is for protection both for baby and animal. Although for me I have a real problem with animals getting in the faces of babies.

So any and all advice appreciated.

Also at this time and place -- its not possible for us to adopt a playmate for Confetti. I think we are going to have to wait until we move back to the states next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:02 am 
I don't have any experience with dealing with this particular thing, but I would say that if you're going to make any changes to Confetti's living arrangements that you start as soon as possible so he doesn't associate the changes with the baby, which may cause further problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:30 am 
We've had no problems with our two Bengals and our now 13 month old Son. Although they were never allowed in the bedrooms anyway, they still think they own the house :wink: He will try and stroke and play with them (quite roughly sometimes) and unlike any other cats I've ever seen, they just look at him, not even an attempt to scratch him. He once dragged one across the floor by her tail until I stopped him, she wasn't bothered :lol: We actually have to protect them from him rather than the other way around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:44 pm 
Bengal Kitten

My partner wants to invite his friend, his friend's wife and their baby overfor dinner. I'm worried about how our kitens will react. Someone at work has two Burmese and when he brought his new daughter home from the hospital, one of the cats went for the baby. He had to pull it off and throw it across the room. However, the good part is that baby and cat get along fine now after a two weeks of being slowly introduced and a big fuss being made of the cat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hello,
what age is the small child?

I think if its a toddler you may be as well to shut the kitten away in a bedroom while they are visiting.. :)
more to keep the kitten safe than the child..
small people can be quite rough with animals and you wouldn't want the child to get scratched in retaliation :roll:
If the child is only in a crib, you will be fine...
the kitten will probaby just sniff the child and wander off..
But then its not like your not going to keep an eye on things is it :D
hope you have a nice evening xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:37 pm 
Bengal Cat

I think it sounds like you are very devoted and good parents, so it should work out OK. When I got a new cat I made sure I gave a lot of attention still to my bengal. I think if you provide them reassurance during a new change to the household, it will work. Besides that they are already grown up and confident of their environment and family.

Cats would never intentionally hurt a baby and would fear a toddler, but it may be best to keep an eye on the baby if the cats like to sleep near faces/necks cuz babies are warm. It is probably a super paranoid thought but my bengal likes to sleep on my face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I've always been amazed at how gentle my bengal is around small children. He'd let them touch his belly, feet, tug on his tail, you name it.

I'm hoping when I have a child of my own that he'll be just as gentle.