It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:56 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Hi - do anyone else's Bengal's ears get quite dirty? Both mine do and have tried cleaning them with baby wipes but they do NOT like it (the boy especially). Anyone have advice on technique?

Also, I want to give them some worming tablets but the breeder warned us that trying to get the boy to swallow a pill is a nightmare. I can believe it judging by his reaction to ear cleaning. Anyone have advice? Should I shove it in a bit of cheese and hope for the best or try to get it down his throat myself?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:20 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

The first time I had to give a pill to one of my cats, I could just put it into his food and that was it. But they learn fast... this thread might have some ideas for you. Basically, if you have a difficult cat, it might take two people to safely make him swallow a pill. The trick is to immobilize the cat so he can't attack you (if you don't have someone helping you, maybe wrapping him into a towel or blanket could be an option) and hold his head up so you can place the pill far enough at the back of his tongue that he has to swallow rather than spitting it out at you again. My vet gave me a pill holder to save my fingers from being bitten off during the procedure (basically looks like a long syringe that holds the pill in front and you can release it by pushing the plunger). Gently stroking the cat's throat until he swallows might help. Good luck! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:31 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I'm lucky, my cats clean each others' ears. As for tablets, I make sure there are two people doing it together, and find that holding the cat at the back of their neck is helpful too (not holding him up by it, but holding it. I read it reminds them of when they were kittens and 'immobilises' him a bit).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:05 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

How to Give A Cat A Pill
Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.
Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.
Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.
Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from yard.

Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.
Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink 1 beer to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Open another beer. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with rubber band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Drink beer. Fetch bottle of scotch. Pour shot, drink. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Apply whiskey compress to cheek to disinfect. Toss back another shot. Throw tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

Call fire department to retrieve the friggin' cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

Tie the little bastard's front paws to rear paws with twine and bind tightly to leg of dining room table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of steak. Be rough about it. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

Consume remainder of Scotch. Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Arrange for Humane Society to collect mutant cat from hell and call local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.
:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:26 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

:D :D :D
very funny!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:25 pm 
Bengal Kitten

Excellent. We have the scars. In the end I just bought that liquid stuff that you squirt onto the back of the neck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:59 am 
Bengal Kitten

Regarding the dirty ears, your cat may have mites. They look like a brown crusty substance.

Check inside the ears every week and if you see a waxy residue, wipe it off with a cotton ball moistened with a small amount of feline ear cleaner or baby oil. (Never use a swab on a stick; if your cat moves suddenly, as he is wont to do, you may injure his ear canal or eardrum.) Hold the earflap gently and dab carefully with the cotton ball. If your cat fidgets during cleaning, restrain him as you would when cutting his claws.

As for the pill, I mix a small teaspoon a wet food or flavorful food with the pill and they eat it quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

BMWguy wrote:
As for the pill, I mix a small teaspoon a wet food or flavorful food with the pill and they eat it quickly.

Not as easy as it sounds in our household...
I tried that many a time..
only to find every last scrap of food had been lapped up but lo and behold a spotlessly clean pill sat in the bowl haha. :roll:
always resorted to prizing cats gob open and shuv it down its throat with one finger...
much to its horror.. :shock:
worked every time :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:40 pm 
Hi guys,

I've found a really effective way of dealing with this 'Pill' problem -

Don't feed your cat in the morning, still give him or her the attention she loves, get a pestle and mortar, grind the pill into a fine powder sprinkle the powder of his favourite food & stir in well.

Never had a problem with it with furry eating her food, mind you her treat the odd tiger prawn it would be rude not to eat it!!!

Hope the helps.

jim & the Furry lap warmer.

xjx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:41 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My vet gave me a "piller". It is very similar to a syringe, but it has a soft rubber end with a slit in it that holds the pill. You simply press the plunger end and the pill comes out near the back of the cat's mouth. The cat swallows the pill instantly. I really thought giving her a pill was going to be a nightmare, but the piller really does work. The vet did tell me to "scruff" her first (hold her by her scruff so her mouth opens a little bit) and after putting the pill in her mouth let go of the scruff. No arguing on her part. She swallowed it right away. I have used it twice with no problems. :D :D

Take care,
Carol