It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: can anyone help??
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:16 am 
Senior Bengal

I posted a while ago about neutering because i was worried the effect it would have on my cats. They had their op yesterday and all seemed find except for a few cuts and bruises! However one of my bengals has been sick through the night and is off his food today. he is also seems "not himself". one of them had been sick the night before the op and i expressed my concerns to the vet about doing the op and they did a health check on them both and said they were fine. I will monitor him today and take him in later or tommorrow if there is any changes. My questions would be:
Is this unusual behaviour after such a procedure?
Could he not have an appetite as he hasn't been the toilet since he went for the op?

Any advice would be appreciated

thanks

jenny :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:37 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

This may be a "side effect" of the anaesthesia ;). Nothing to worry too much, but if your cat still feels unwell this evening you should have a check up at the vet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:15 pm 
Senior Bengal

Tell me if this time line is right:

Sept 12 Evening - male cat sick
Sept 13 - "health check" by vet, neutered, returned home in the evening
Sept 13 late PM/Sept 14 early morning - "not himself" and sick

Did he eat normally on the 12th and was he as social as he normally is? Was he using the bathroom normally on the 12th? Has he used the bathroom yet (would you know, having two cats it can be difficult to tell who is doing what business) and have there been any accidents (urine or otherwise) outside of the litter box that you know was the sick kitten (or don't know who it was)?

Not to worry you, but because the kitten was not feeling well the night before the operation, it could be something other than the lingering effects of the anaesthetic. I'm by no means a vet and have no medical training or knowledge other than what I've read in books, but I would be a little skeptical of a vet who would choose to perform a voluntary surgery on a cat who wasn't feeling well (as described by the owner). It seems like it would be common sense to just wait for the kitten to be 100% and it also doesn't sound like from the information you provided that the "health check-up" was very in-depth (nothing like a stool sample was mentioned).

Again, I'm not a vet and have no medical training at all, so please consult your vet, but if I were in your situation (what I know of your situation), I would be skeptical of the vet for performing the surgery when you were complaining of a possible illness. Was this particular vet breeder (or otherwise) recommended?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:48 pm 
Senior Bengal

I was bit worried bout them performing the procedure because i didn't know which cat was sick. He did eat fine on the 12th and after the op he ate fine its just today. I ran out for half hr before and when i got back i caught him being sick so at least i know which cat is sick! I managed to get him in the vets today and they said temp and hydration is fine and to keep eye on him she has given him an anti inflammatory to help settle his stomache. I have been told to keep him on chicken and rice and they said it could just be him getting over the operation. I will keep you all informed on progress, i was just concerned as many on the forum has said their cats are back to norm very quickly, but mine seem very sad :(

Thank you for your replies.

jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:41 am 
Senior Bengal

Just thought i'd report that my cat is feeling much better today, he was sick last night around 10pm and i checked on him through the night and gave him a small piece of chicken which he ate, and this morning he has been crying for food and ate it all! :D So i'll keep my fingers crossed that he is not sick today, but he seems alot more lively today, so thanks to those who replied it just good to air concerns to people and get any advice that can be offered.

thanks

Jenny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:29 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

That's great ;). I guess he was just feeling a bit sick after the op... (I remember how bad I felt after my wisdom teeth (? litterate translation here :lol:) extraction ;).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:02 pm 
Senior Bengal

jenbo wrote:
Just thought i'd report that my cat is feeling much better today, he was sick last night around 10pm and i checked on him through the night and gave him a small piece of chicken which he ate, and this morning he has been crying for food and ate it all! :D So i'll keep my fingers crossed that he is not sick today, but he seems alot more lively today, so thanks to those who replied it just good to air concerns to people and get any advice that can be offered.

thanks

Jenny

That's good to hear! I'm glad it was just a little bump in the road. It's easy to forget how hearty pets can be.