It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: weepy eye
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:46 am 
Senior Bengal

Hi everyone,

My Bengal Benny is nearly 5 months old, and he has always had a bit of a weepy eye. It goes sometimes but it has now returned. It just seems watery there is no gunk or nothing. Any ideas? He is lively as ever, and is eating great no changes in stools etc.

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:31 am 
I would be interested to see replies to this topic. I have an abyssinian who's had a weepy eye since birth. It seems to be aggravated by stress. One Aby breeder told me that one of hers has it too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:18 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

So does Tiger, though his cause was a scratched cornea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:26 am 
What a great ad for this site!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:32 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Haahaahaaha!!!! :lol:

(that photo is begging for a caption!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hm, seems Tiger is spying on you and checking out what you're writing about him here, so be careful! :wink:

We used to have a cat with a weepy eye when I was a teenager. He was a stray that walked into the house (we already had a cat, so there was food around which probably attracted him). We took him to the vet to fix it, but no treatment ever worked. He had chronically weepy eyes for all his life, but he managed to catch birds just fine and in the end he lived the longest of all our pets so it didn't seem to affect him too much. He just looked sadly ugly sometimes...

I've read that it could be caused by feline herpes virus. Has your cat been exposed to that? Once a cat caught the virus (and most kittens get it early on in their lives) they will carry it for the rest of their lives. Many cats don't seem to be bothered by it, but in others it causes outbreaks, often triggered by stress, and weepy eyes might be a symptom of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:20 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Tameeria,

I dont think he has been exposed to feline herpes, it seems fine now but i know it will prob be watery tommorrow, it might sound stupid but its as though he has hay fever!! As he tends to sneeze occasionally and he always always puts his head in the litter tray when i am renewing it causing him to sneeze with the dust!! It could be an allergy, he is going to be neutered soon so i will ask the vet, although he will prob try and sell me an exspensive potion that doesn't actually do nothing ha ha!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:13 pm 
What a great pic..... We should have a thread in the Gallery "Bengal pics with the forums in the background" 8)