It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:49 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Cat Nip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:47 pm 
Bengal Kitten

I bought some new toys for my 6month old boy, Keiko, but he sniffs the toys and leaves them !!!! I thought cats were meant to love catnip ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:29 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

I think some cats love it when they get a bit older. I've heard that they're not bothered by it till they'grow up' a bit but then I'm certainly no expert! x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:47 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tasha is two, and I noticed is just now beginning to respond to catnip

http://www.youtube.com/user/luvbengalz#p/u

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Tigger's 5 months and loves catnip, but i think just because some cats like catnip, it's assumed that all will like it, like we can assume everyone likes sweets and chocolate.

have you got any other toys that don't contain catnip for him to play with? Tigger will play with his, but will abandon it when he's bored with it and like any of his other toys, will have to put it away for a spell and rotate his toys.

maybe you can try getting him valerian toys to see if he prefers that instead, it's similar to catnip but has a slightly different smell to it, Tigs loves it just the same as his catnip sock

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:07 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

What I've read about catnip and cats...

1) Kittens usually are "immune" to it (didn't say at what age that ceases to be the case)

2) Some adult cats are also immune to it, and it is hereditary (a "catnip" gene)

3) If adult cats are around it enough, they become less sensitive to it (so don't leave catnip toys out indefinately).

4) Some kinds of catnip are stronger than others (apparently the leaves are what produce the effect on cats, but some penny pinching catnip makers use stems which dilute the effect).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:36 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mickey and Zazou weren't in the least bit bothered about catnip when they were younger but in the last couple of weeks I have noticed that it is having an effect on them - they are 9 & 10 months respectively now. My 5 year old moggie adores it :D .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:53 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

mine love it although the best reaction is the the yeoww bananas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

dawn f wrote:

I haven't got the bananas from Yeoww, I bought two Stinkies, the fish. Only bought one at first for Max as Zuki didn't show any interest in catnip.
Typically she decided she liked the Stinkie so I had to get another. Within hours over a couple of days they were loved to bits and the seams started to come open. Couldn't take them back as I didn't have a receipt. I e-mailed Yeoww, they asked for pictures, a couple of weeks later new Stinkies and a little pillow. Great service.

I would get some toys and get them out now and again, like us cats change their likes and dislikes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:55 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

I read somewhere that cats become interested in catnip after they have passed the 6 months mark, but some cats are just not interested in it at all.

Loki is a catnip junkie but Freya is not interested at all. They are both about 18 months old. I had 2 previous siamese cats who didn't go for catnip either!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

My cats both go mental on catnip...I got the catnip stuffed mouse from pets at home and with hugo it lasted about 3 minutes... he ripped it to shreds! was possessed! lol Tia being a girl was a bit calmer about it, although she did eat the tail of the mouse! haha! She rolled around a lot, were as with hugo he frantically kicked with his back legs and chewed to bits! So I guess every cat is different! They definitely love it tho!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:05 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Mine have never been interested in cat nip. I tried it at 6 months, 1 year, 1 1/2 years... still nothing. I've given up. Besides- they act crazy enough without it already!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:28 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

bobbob wrote:
dawn f wrote:

I haven't got the bananas from Yeoww, I bought two Stinkies, the fish. Only bought one at first for Max as Zuki didn't show any interest in catnip.
Typically she decided she liked the Stinkie so I had to get another. Within hours over a couple of days they were loved to bits and the seams started to come open. Couldn't take them back as I didn't have a receipt. I e-mailed Yeoww, they asked for pictures, a couple of weeks later new Stinkies and a little pillow. Great service.

I would get some toys and get them out now and again, like us cats change their likes and dislikes.

Mine love the Yeoww things and they have lots of the stinkies. None have come apart at the seams although some do look very worn and dirty! They ignore them for weeks and then seem to go crazy for them again. Max could smell it through 2 bags and helped himself to it :roll:

I did buy hinm a yeoww cigar for his birthday and it only lasted a week before it had been loved too much by all 4 cats!! I never thought of writing to them about it. I might just do that as i kept it thinking i would try and mend or reuse the catnip in something else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:46 pm 
Senior Bengal

My Diego goes mad with Catnip. It was like he was permanently on speed when the catnip was about. We didn't know if it was just the breed as he is our 1st Bengal.

After talking to the breeder and asking her advice it turns out Diegos Dad was the same.

We have since taken away all catnip and very rarely give him any toy with catnip in. Although that does seem a bit of a mission when toy shopping.

Diego has been a different cat and is alot calmer.

Stacey x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:19 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

There is a hereditary aspect to catnip reaction, so like father like son makes sense ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:45 am 
Asian Leopard Cat

Jana and Kylian like it fresh

Rob