It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:46 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:03 pm 
Driving down the road near our house today and spotted a black and white moggie lying flat in the grass at the side of the road....

Turned around and went back to it, in the hope it might just be injured - got out the car and went over to it, blood pouring out of its ears and mouth and quite obviously now in kitty heaven :cry:

No tag on it, so couldn't even ring its owner. Had to just leave it there in the hope they find it :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:44 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

That is so sad :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

So so sad for the poor little one :(

Post subject: *AGREED*
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:01 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

However -
When I lived in the country, my Ruby and I would go for walks, she loved it out side and would go out, we slowly moved closer to the city ... her it is now, 8 yrs later, she still goes out every single day. She KNOWS she has to come in to the comforts of home at night, never goes out on halloween, and of my 4 cats, she is the ONLY one allowed out ever!
Otherwise fully agreed!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:02 pm 
Senior Bengal

I have recently become the proud owner of a bengal baby (he is helping me type this) We chose a bengal partly because we live in an area perfect for the breed. We live on the outskirts of a village, have about a half acre of garden with trees for climbing and a river bank at the bottom. I plan on keeping little Kashmir in untill after he is neutered, but then hope he will be able to play outside with us. I must admit though, I am terrified that he will run away, never to be seen again at his first taste of freedom. Has anyone got any tips on making sure they come home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:58 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Ali

See my previous post here
http://www.bengalcatforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=586&start=15 regarding letting cats out.

Sorry to be so blunt, but I don't know that on the outskirts of a village is a perfect place to let your cat out, villages mean roads, roads mean danger. In my experience it doesn't matter how many nice places there are to go, cats seem to be drawn inexplicably to roads. Some survive some don't.

Ruby is obviously one of the lucky ones, the one Gavin found wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:07 pm 
Senior Bengal

We live quite a long way from anything like a main road, and have an enclosed garden, although I am sure this cat of mine will find a way out. Thanks for the link
It does seem cruel to lock a cat in though, especially when he can see us all outside enjoying the garden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:39 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi Ali

If your garden is already enclosed, you could make it cat proof.

See http://www.fabcats.org/fencing.html. It tells you how to make a cat proof garden.

Elsa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:15 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Elsa
Thanks for the link, I had a look but don't think I can do much more, the fences are already higher than recommended, but I don't think they have bargained with a Bengals determination and agility. I am sure that if he wanted to Kashmir could get out, think I might try a harness, but I have visions of holding something akin to a kite. I hate the thought of something happening to him, but I also detest animals in captivity, I guess its just a question of risk assessment. Anyway look at this site
http://www.bengalcat.me.uk/
This is the kind of life I would like for my cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:49 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Loved your site Ali, your cats are georgous :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:31 pm 
Senior Bengal

Hi Caroline, I wish that was my site, I just posted the link because It is quite close to where I live and I wanted people to see how lucky we are to be able to enjoy such freedom. Its a lovely site and lovely cats I agree

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:46 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hi

Ali, it is the modication of the top of your wall/fence that keeps the cats in not only the height.
See http://www.purrfectfence.com/zoom.asp?id=66 I'm sure you could modify the top of your walls with a similar set up with metal brackets and mesh to stop him getting out. I don't think it would be that expensive as you already have the fence and I am sure a local welder would make the brackets for you to attach the mesh to.

Caroline, it is not Ali's site it is an example of the life she would like for her cats, free rangin' huntin' fishin' sort of a life.

I'm sure that is what we would all like, unfortunately for a lot of us roads get in the way. :(

Elsa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:14 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Thanks elsa231
its still lovely though :)
we are going to get something done for our cats too,hubby will have to make it though :) will keep him busy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:31 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

Hubbys definitely need to be kept as busy as possible :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:09 pm 
Asian Leopard Cat

ali wrote:
I hate the thought of something happening to him, but I also detest animals in captivity, I guess its just a question of risk assessment.

I totally agree.

I feel so upset for the poor kitty who didn't make it across that road safely, it's very sad :cry: Gavin - would you be able to find out if the cat was microchipped?
Our cats are microchipped and wear collars with ID tags, although one of my cats keeps losing them! :roll:
I think that as pet owners, we have an obligation to ensure their happiness. And that, in my opinion, could very well mean letting them out (where safe) :?
It's a tricky one - we want to keep them indoors and keep them safe from any harm, but on the other hand, surely they should be allowed to experience the freedom of the outdoors? They are still animals, after all.
Unfortunately, i bought my cats as adults who had already been allowed to roam outside by their previous owner (ironically just 50 yards from a busy main road!) :shock:
Where we live now is quite close to a road, but not one they necessarily need to go across to do what they want to do, and it's only an access road, not a through road.
If i'd had them since they were kittens i would have cat proofed my garden or simply kept them as indoor cats. 8)